News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Why combating bad claims is important.

Started by Brian37, November 24, 2015, 08:20:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian37

It is scary the amount of both slick snake oil peddlers, will incorporate words from science to debunk science, when really what they are doing is trying to convince themselves and or the uneducated that their false debunking means their god did it or their religion/even those of Asia, own a patent on the universal tool of scientific method. I highly recommend when you run into this tactic elsewhere point out the fact that people of a variety of religions do this. In my 14 years of online debate mainly Christians, but also Jews and Muslims and Hindus and Buddhists and even once a Rastafarian.

The Christian right especially, has been since Darwin handed their comic book it's ass, have being fighting scared like a cornered wounded cat. The Scopes Trial  was not enough, the Dover ID trial also, not enough to put an end to their fallacious crap. And it does not help that we have Ben Carson, hypocritically answering evolution questions correctly in his science classes, only to shit on the very science that made his field possible.

Facts matter. Science must be defended. To not do so is a danger to the education to future generations. There is no splitting the baby. Yes, religious people can and do accept science and evolution, but science itself, is not a religion and is not there to prop up ANY religious club. Science isn't even there to prop up even any atheist woo either. I still ultimately boils down to, if you make a claim about science, fine, get it in a lab, collect your data, plug it into an experiment with control groups, and then have your findings peer reviewed.

Evolution is fact, but unfortunately yesterday I ran into a right wing Christian gun nut, and she had 87K followers on twitter. Now those numbers certainly don't tell you how many are actually active, or how many agree with her or how many simply attach themselves to her just to get attention. But that is just a tiny sample of one  small deluded snake oil peddler. But this also is still not exclusive to Christianity. I doubt you could get the Taliban or Isis to say evolution is true either. Scientific method scares people of all religions, so when they realize they cant get rid of it, they attempt to co opt it to debunk parts or all of it to sell you their club.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37