Main Menu

A close shave.

Started by pr126, November 07, 2015, 12:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Quote from: pr126 on November 07, 2015, 03:46:24 AM
Oh, FFS.

Carry on. Whatever floats your boat.

What can I say, having fun is important to me... more so than sitting under my bed cowering that the Mooslims will invade any day and destroy Western civilization...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

pr126

Nice one. Good jab. Keep 'em coming.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Shiranu on November 07, 2015, 03:51:57 AM
What can I say, having fun is important to me... more so than sitting under my bed cowering that the Mooslims will invade any day and destroy Western civilization...
But the Evil Moose Lambs are invading and destroying Western civilization. I did it in Crusader Kings 2, and that game is a historical simulator, so it must be true!

:lol:
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

josephpalazzo

Quote from: pr126 on November 07, 2015, 12:19:36 AM
School district bans drawings of religious leaders after Acton students draw MuhammadGood call. Imagine the shitstorm if it got out that they are drawing Muhammad!

Whew! That was close. 

*religious leaders (plural). No, just one in particular. We all know which one, don't we?
We have learned the lesson.

With what happened over the Danish cartoon controversy and what happened at Charlie Hebdo, I believe that what the school did was prudent.  You don't want to risk the lives of young people when there are so many crazies out there.

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on November 07, 2015, 08:58:34 AM
With what happened over the Danish cartoon controversy and what happened at Charlie Hebdo, I believe that what the school did was prudent.  You don't want to risk the lives of young people when there are so many crazies out there.

I would certainly ban school assignments on Moses or Jesus as well.  If you want to know about Moses, it is best to ask a rabbi.

So Pr126 ... I am being even handed.  Do you object?  And Breitbart ... really ... a den of impotent neo-Nazis ;-(  I believe every word of the Lyndon Larouche web site myself ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jack89

So when middle school kids ask why they can't draw a picture of a religious leader what do you tell them?  Do you lie, or do you tell them that certain people from a particular religion might harm or even kill them for drawing a picture?  Even if the school sugar coats it, a lot of parents won't.  You have to wonder how that affects their perception of a whole slew of issues like freedom of speech, bullying, multiculturalism, Islam, muslims, terrorism, etc. 

pr126

Jack89 wrote:
QuoteYou have to wonder how that affects their perception of a whole slew of issues like freedom of speech, bullying, multiculturalism, Islam, muslims, terrorism, etc.
Don't forget idolatry!

Muhammad and the Quran are the two most important Idols in Islam.

jonb

So we had a history sheet given out by a teacher that required the drawing of moohamodd (faeces be upon him) by the pupils.

Do we believe in religious freedom?

I will stand for my right to criticize in anyway I wish a religion. However I have no right to direct a religious person to do an act against their faith.

This history paper is doing exactly that, directing an islamic child to make an image contrary to their faith, and as such it should be removed.

PR do you understand about British culture and religious freedom? If you say you understand those concepts why did you post this shit?

I have been putting down your variance from British culture that you were a refugee that we British people were nice enough to let in, I am now seriously wondering if you have any contact with Britain at all.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Jack89 on November 07, 2015, 09:32:38 AM
So when middle school kids ask why they can't draw a picture of a religious leader what do you tell them?  Do you lie, or do you tell them that certain people from a particular religion might harm or even kill them for drawing a picture?  Even if the school sugar coats it, a lot of parents won't.  You have to wonder how that affects their perception of a whole slew of issues like freedom of speech, bullying, multiculturalism, Islam, muslims, terrorism, etc. 

I believe that can be handled by stressing that such drawings are offensive to certain people of a certain faith. It's a great opportunity to teach comparative religions, and demonstrate what each religion teaches, what is their credo and their practices. Knowledge is better than ignorance.

pr126

I suppose that the teacher was totally ignorant of Islam, Muslims and if (s)he knew about it this would not have happened.

That is the biggest problem we have, that people who should know better are ignorant (mostly willfully) about the subject they supposed to teach.

Also being totally unaware of the Danish cartoon riots, or  Charli Hebdo is puzzling.
Perhaps the teacher is a visitor from another planet?

Baruch

Quote from: jonb on November 07, 2015, 09:45:05 AM
So we had a history sheet given out by a teacher that required the drawing of moohamodd (faeces be upon him) by the pupils.

I will stand for my right to criticize in anyway I wish a religion. However I have no right to direct a religious person to do an act against their faith.

This history paper is doing exactly that, directing an islamic child to make an image contrary to their faith, and as such it should be removed.

PR do you understand about British culture and religious freedom? If you say you understand those concepts why did you post this shit?

I have been putting down your variance from British culture that you were a refugee that we British people were nice enough to let in, I am now seriously wondering if you have any contact with Britain at all.

One can't often expect acculturation of immigrants ... unless they are pre-schoolers.  If one is an adult immigrant, I expect a different result.

Schools are for state indoctrination ... not for free speech.  Ask any student who asks to or forces themselves to the front of the class, to take over from the teacher ;-)  Free speech is only for those who can afford it.  I can post here, because of my economic status in the US ... I am not an enslaved cocao picker in the Cote d'ivoire.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

jonb

Quote from: pr126 on November 07, 2015, 09:55:17 AM
I suppose that the teacher was totally ignorant of Islam, Muslims and if (s)he knew about it this would not have happened.

That is the biggest problem we have, that people who should know better are ignorant (mostly willfully) about the subject they supposed to teach.

Also being totally unaware of the Danish cartoon riots, or  Charli Hebdo is puzzling.
Perhaps the teacher is a visitor from another planet?

If you knew the hours a primary school teacher worked, you might understand why they might not be aware of what has happened in the news. My wife's working day runs from seven thirty in the morning to six and then from seven in the evening to midnight or one in the morning and a further 14 to 20 hours at weekends.
If you read what you posted it was not a religious paper, but one on history, the teacher late at night working through a lesson plan did not even think about religious considerations.

AllPurposeAtheist

The boogieman under pr's bed at night is now an oppressed minority and the moozlims have taken over.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Jack89

Quote from: jonb on November 07, 2015, 09:45:05 AM

No, the kid should have the option of not doing the assignment.  Just like you don't remove hot dogs and Jello from the cafeteria because there are Jewish and Muslim kids in school.  It's necessary that people understand and tolerate each other's beliefs and taboos, but that doesn't mean we should structure education around them, especially in a melting pot like California.   

There is also the question of teaching religious subjects in school, even from a secular point of view.  Some would argue that there is no place for it, but I find it hard to avoid when when religion is at the core of so many current events.  These issues pop up in classrooms where inquiry and discussion are valued, especially when you get into middle and high school. 

Mermaid

Quote from: Baruch on November 07, 2015, 12:25:57 AM
They shouldn't be studying any religion in any public school at all.  I agree with French laicity ... in the public domain.
Disagree. Religious education and religious practice are not the same thing. Education is rarely a bad thing. I am grateful for my own religious education.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR