News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Stoic

Started by Sal1981, November 04, 2015, 08:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=3912

Stoicism is, to me, just playing mind games with your impression of the world in such a way that you don't let emotions "take hold" or whatever. What sense is there in awe, boredom or whathaveyou if you can't feel sad, glad or whatever?

TomFoolery

I think of Stoicism and I think of Spock, and then I think it can do no wrong.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

SGOS

I don't know how you don't let emotions take hold.  I assume it's a matter of not showing them, or something like that.  But I've never understood stoicism or aspired to it either.  When I hear some guy is a stoic, my usual reaction is, "Yeah, a-huh, OK.

TomFoolery

Quote from: SGOS on November 04, 2015, 09:47:57 AM
When I hear some guy is a stoic, my usual reaction is, "Yeah, a-huh, OK.

When I hear some guy is a stoic, I also consider alcoholism.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

stromboli

I'm probably a stoic because I wind up being the steadfast guy that holds up when every body else is quivering and weeping. I'm the guy that winds up dealing with the issues because everybody else is too distraught. Somebody needs to.

Hydra009

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 04, 2015, 12:29:23 PM
Epicureanism > Stoicism (imo)

Epicureanism is better than Stoicism?  Of course, you get invited to much better parties!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

I rip a page from stoicism every now and then. There's some good horse-sense in it.
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

stromboli

Quote from: Hakurei Reimu on November 04, 2015, 02:33:00 PM
I rip a page from stoicism every now and then. There's some good horse-sense in it.

Dude, you are a rock. :08:

SGOS

Oops, posted a thing in the wrong thread.

surreptitious57

One of the core principles of Stoicism is the acceptance of anything beyond your
control and this is something I identify with a hundred per cent. As one can only
change things inside their control not outside them. So wasting energy worrying
about that which you cannot influence is non productive and totally unnecessary
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN