News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

i new commer guide me

Started by amjadali, February 16, 2013, 01:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amjadali

hi friends, i need solid arguments against god and religious drama. i am student of English literature and philosophy.

Sleeper

Welcome. Take care of yourself and be smart about this. The world needs brave people like you to hang around for a while.
Because LaPlace still holds sway.

Minimalist

Re:
Quote from: "amjadali"hi friends, i need solid arguments against god and religious drama. i am student of English literature and philosophy.

Then start here.  

http://www.worldagesarchive.com/Referen ... ers%29.htm

In the last 30 years archaeology has taken the bible apart.   All of the Angry Desert God religions are built on a now-discredited foundation.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "amjadali"hi friends, i need solid arguments against god and religious drama.

1) Without any evidence for any gods, no argument against any god(s) is necessary.

2)But if you want to see one argument against one god:  Omnipotence, omnipresence, and perfect goodness are internally contradictory qualities in the Abrahamic god, given the existence of evil.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Davka

A useful place to start is sometimes just to ask people questions. "Why would a loving God . . ." can start all sorts of interesting questions.

Why would a loving God allow so many people to suffer?
Why would a loving God need people to worship him?

And so on.

Gyroid

Hello! ^_^ Welcome.

Keep yourself safe and sound first! ^_^ If anyone discovers this site you could say you were trying to convert us! I will support you!

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Gyroid"Hello! ^_^ Welcome.

Keep yourself safe and sound first! ^_^ If anyone discovers this site you could say you were trying to convert us! I will support you!

I was thinking the same thing.   ^

Yes, welcome.  But also please be safe about having our site open to other eyes.  I'd hate to have you in any trouble by simply visiting our site.  If you can be here -safely - then yes, please do so.  Looking forward to your posts.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Sleeper

I think a perfectly legitimate, strong, simple question to get someone's thoughts going in the right direction is:

If God made the universe, what's with all the waste and failure? Why do things seem so arbitrary and sometimes counterproductive? We're talking about a deity who supposedly directs every falling spec of dust here.

Davka

Quote from: "Sleeper"I think a perfectly legitimate, strong, simple question to get someone's thoughts going in the right direction is:

If God made the universe, what's with all the waste and failure? Why do things seem so arbitrary and sometimes counterproductive? We're talking about a deity who supposedly directs every falling spec of dust here.
Trouble with this approach is the classic "God's plans are too deep for us, he has a purpose for everything we see as arbitrary, our brains are too tiny, blah blah blah."

Sleeper

Quote from: "Davka"
Quote from: "Sleeper"I think a perfectly legitimate, strong, simple question to get someone's thoughts going in the right direction is:

Trouble with this approach is the classic "God's plans are too deep for us, he has a purpose for everything we see as arbitrary, our brains are too tiny, blah blah blah."
He has a purpose for the gas giant 8 times bigger than Jupiter that's 600 million light years away? What a waste of matter. They apply that argument for the evil and suffering, but even they've got to see how far short it falls here.

Davka

Quote from: "Sleeper"
Quote from: "Davka"They apply that argument for the evil and suffering, but even they've got to see how far short it falls here.
You do realize who we're talking about here, don't you?

Sleeper

Quote from: "Sleeper"They apply that argument for the evil and suffering, but even they've got to see how far short it falls here.
You do realize who we're talking about here, don't you?
Jeff Beck and the Electric Light Orchestra.

Wait. Who were you talking about?

Thumpalumpacus

Well, then either that god's plans are imperfectly complex, or he created our imperfectly simple brains.

The crucial point is that theists who claim that their god is responsible for the entire universe cannot be allowed for a moment to forget that their god is responsible for the entire universe.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Jedster

Quote from: "amjadali"hi friends, i need solid arguments against god and religious drama. i am student of English literature and philosophy.

A couple of starting points:
I always ask why God,who is all-knowing and everywhere needs a book or prophets to communicate to us mere mortals....and,oh yes, why do so many believers relish in the murder of those outside their creed.

Warning:before asking such questions make sure you have an escape route.

Wishing you well and safe.