Witches Still Being Blamed For Evil Deeds in 2015

Started by stromboli, October 20, 2015, 11:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

I was invited to join a druid group, the in was an orgy that supposedly released my shackles

I politely declined
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Mike Cl

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on October 21, 2015, 12:13:47 PM
Communion is symbolic to me, and i do think symbolic rituals bring people together, but literally blood letting to cast a "spell" doesnt seem like a good idea
A member of one religion calling the rituals of any other religion 'strange' is pretty much strange (to put it kindly) in my book. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Draconic Aiur

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on October 21, 2015, 12:13:47 PM
Communion is symbolic to me, and i do think symbolic rituals bring people together, but literally blood letting to cast a "spell" doesnt seem like a good idea
If that's what you grew up in, it would seem perfectly normal.  Just like Christian rituals seem perfectly normal to you.

Contemporary Protestant

Eating bread is not dangerous, cutting yourself is dangerous

None of my personal rituals pose a threat to myself
Why are we even having this debate? I said cutting yourself and expecting magic to happen is strange to me, how is that worthy of criticism

Hydra009

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on October 22, 2015, 12:46:03 AMWhy are we even having this debate? I said cutting yourself and expecting magic to happen is strange to me, how is that worthy of criticism
The point is recognizing double standards.

Yes, the magical thinking involved in Wiccanism is stupid and yes, cutting yourself to empower some sort of magic spell is stupid.  But you could make similar criticisms of Christianity.

"A wiccan told me to cut myself to charge my sigil with my magik, that is very strange to me"
"A Christian pastor wanted to hold my kid underwater for a second, that is very strange to me"

Wicca is strange.  Christianity is strange.  All this stuff is strange.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on October 22, 2015, 12:46:03 AM
Eating bread is not dangerous, cutting yourself is dangerous

None of my personal rituals pose a threat to myself
Why are we even having this debate? I said cutting yourself and expecting magic to happen is strange to me, how is that worthy of criticism
Because christianity as a whole is much more dangerous to the individual and to society in general than Wicca ever was or will be.  Christianity has blood on it's hands that it can never wash off.  And the rites and rituals of christianity are part and parcel of that sick religion.  And by 'cutting yourself' or 'blood letting' we can be referring to a drop or two of blood; not necessarily slicing and dicing one's wrist. 

I think it is admirable that you have thought through the ritual of downing the wafer.  But millions and millions still believe that they are actually consuming the flesh and blood of Christ.  Your religion has fractured over fighting about the issue.  And that fracture has still not healed.  For a person to actually believe that they are consuming the flesh and blood of christ puts them in the cannibal category.  And that is not a healthy way to be, at least to me.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Contemporary Protestant

I dont see the double standard, i dont place emphasis on ritual, I dont think children are old enough to be baptised because they dont know what it means or what they are agreeing to. It doesnt matter to me what religion it is, im against rituals that hurt people or putting too much importance on ceremony. In personal regards, im most concerned with being moral and supporting my community, however i do think ceremony has emotional value than actual value

Mike Cl

Quote from: Contemporary Protestant on October 22, 2015, 03:37:32 PM
I dont see the double standard, i dont place emphasis on ritual, I dont think children are old enough to be baptised because they dont know what it means or what they are agreeing to. It doesnt matter to me what religion it is, im against rituals that hurt people or putting too much importance on ceremony. In personal regards, im most concerned with being moral and supporting my community, however i do think ceremony has emotional value than actual value
It matters not if you see a double standard or not.  As a theist, you could not allow yourself to see it.  Your religion is rife with double standards.  Rife with doing things without any evidence--in fact, willfully ignoring any evidence and working only from belief.  So, you are simply saying my belief is strong and the truth--any other belief is weak and false.  As for being moral--a Wicca believer could say the same--all they want to do is be moral and support their community.  I'd suggest that morality is very subjective.