News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The New Atheist Movement is Dead

Started by CrucifyCindy, October 12, 2015, 06:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauricio

Quote from: Sal1981 on October 12, 2015, 07:25:00 PM
I have no idea what OP is talking about. How about an example of how Sam Harris is criticizing Islam without any merit?

She's on board with the ben affleck, reza aslan, the young turks and glenn greenwald bandwagon that have been slandering Sam harris for almost a year now, due to the "discussion" he had with ben afflect on the bill maher show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vln9D81eO60

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: surreptitious57 on October 12, 2015, 07:26:30 PM
The New Atheist Movement may or may not be dead though atheism is increasing across both
North America and Europe. And this is undeniably a good thing as it makes for a more secular
society. However being an atheist in and of it self does not make one a better human being or
a better critical thinker or a greater authority on the meaning of life. Or any thing else for that
matter. As it just makes you some one who has no belief in the metaphysical being commonly
known as God. Although it actually applies to all gods not just the God but he be the main one
And that is all an atheist is and so anything else is simply arbitrary as it is not conditional on it

I don't know were you get your stats from but actually in the West secularism is increasing not atheism, it is organized religion that is decreasing and alternative or personal spirituality is on the rise. Atheism is largely staying at the same rate of growth while in the rest of the world fanaticism is rising! Why? Economics. Plain and simple. These is no money in atheism. How do I know this? My mom was a marketer, my dad is a marketer and I am a marketer...alternative spirituality as market value while atheism doesn't so alternative spirituality will grow while atheism doesn't
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on October 12, 2015, 07:18:07 PM
Well it was a reality or fad but it did happen and I am sorry if you are embarrassed about it but it was an actual "meme"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Atheism

http://www.iep.utm.edu/n-atheis/
From a two word post you decide I'm "embarrassed"? I didn't have to count the words in your post to determine you're an idiot.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

mauricio

Crucifycindy so are you going to substantiate your claims? hopefully they are not based on cheap slander by quote mining like what Sam harris got previously. http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/on-the-mechanics-of-defamation

AllPurposeAtheist

No money in atheism?  Says who?  There's money in just about anything. Just because not many people have figured out the angle to making money from it doesn't mean it's not there. Who would have thought there was untold wealth in selling the notion of an invisible, silent  eye in the sky? I would never give a plug nickel for it,but plenty of stupid people do.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on October 12, 2015, 08:30:38 PM
No money in atheism?  Says who?  There's money in just about anything. Just because not many people have figured out the angle to making money from it doesn't mean it's not there. Who would have thought there was untold wealth in selling the notion of an invisible, silent  eye in the sky? I would never give a plug nickel for it,but plenty of stupid people do.

Well there is a small market and it isn't big but shrinking when it comes to New Atheism
 William S. Burroughs

aitm

I can't agree, but then again, no atheist I know has read Hitchens or Dawkins books. We don't need to. We don't need validation. There is a possibility you put far more influence on them than they actually have. I, like many atheists, don't give a shit what other people think, thats kinda why we are atheists. We don't follow the smell of the crowd.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

mauricio

Quote from: aitm on October 12, 2015, 09:04:44 PM
I can't agree, but then again, no atheist I know has read Hitchens or Dawkins books. We don't need to. We don't need validation. There is a possibility you put far more influence on them than they actually have. I, like many atheists, don't give a shit what other people think, thats kinda why we are atheists. We don't follow the smell of the crowd.

I agree with this though i recognize the value on other's opinions, since my insights can be pretty basic and pale in comparison with experts in their particular fields. But i do not agree with them because they call themselves experts but rather because they make sense and evidence their claims. I was an atheist before reading Carl sagan or Dawkins but i learned from them quite a bit about a bunch of different topics like epistemology, evolution , astronomy, skepticism, science. I was also quite young when their books became popular so it was coincidence too that i learned from them, this happened to many young people too which is what i refer to as the new atheist movement.

Mike Cl

I did not even know the movement was in existence.  So, if it passed, I was not aware of that either.  I guess ignorance can be bliss................or something.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

Quote from: mauricio on October 12, 2015, 09:18:57 PM
which is what i refer to as the new atheist movement.

well fair enough. I do not belong to a "new" movement.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cocoa Beware

"New atheist movement"?

Is this just an invented label or what? I'm pretty sure none of those guys you mentioned are claiming they are part of whatever that is supposed to be.

QuoteDo I blame Sam Harris? Hell yes. Sam Harris has an agenda that has nothing to do with atheism (whether he is an atheist is doubtful, the dude beleives in Buddhist woo), he is an Islamphobe in the likes of Ann Coulter and you atheist accepted him and invited him into the dialogoe and people like him have poison it with hate.

I dont take his detractors like Cenk Uygur and Reza Aslan seriously, since they misrepresent, misconstrue and quote mine until people look like Josef Stalin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GSobo5sk4s

Here's one part that stuck to me:

MAYER: Wait, let's get down to who has the right answer here. A billion people, you say. All these billion people don't hold these pernicious beliefs?

UYGUR: (Utterly twisting his words) Bingo, right there. That’s the biggest problem in this whole thing. Bill Maher saying, no, over a billion Muslims. All of them. Not a small minority, not even a significant minority, no, he said that’s just not true, all of them hold those opinions.

As you can see, that's not what Mayer was saying at all. He is not saying all Muslims hold those beliefs, he is suggesting that not all of them do not.

Unless you are keeping tabs and paying close attention to both sides of the argument, you're in danger of getting duped I'm afraid.

What Sam Harris really wants is reform and secularism in the Muslim world, and its tough to see how this is not eventually going to be necessary anyways.

What baffles me about Aslan is that if anything he is making things worse.

He is trying to shut down the discussion, and in doing so trying to make people forget about the kinds of things we should never tolerate in the Muslim world like female genital mutilation, or the mistreatment of women, homosexuals, and apostates.

Aslan consistently tries to convince people these are not real problems, and people like Harris who suggest otherwise are routinely defamed. Its completely outrageous.

surreptitious57

I was not aware that any potential increase in atheism had to be determined
by market values. For I did not know that a philosophical position on the non
existence of God is something that the market was actually interested in now

A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 12, 2015, 09:47:09 PM
I did not even know the movement was in existence.  So, if it passed, I was not aware of that either.  I guess ignorance can be bliss................or something.

Chomsky once made a passing reference to the movement (he spanked Sam Harris right on the arse) then he dismissed it. I should share all references to Chomsky vs New Atheist because it is really fun but i am afraid some will revert to the Chomsky is a cheating asshole in debates argument
 William S. Burroughs

mauricio

Quote from: Cocoa Beware on October 12, 2015, 10:04:13 PM

What baffles me about Aslan is that if anything he is making things worse.

He is trying to shut down the discussion, and in doing so trying to make people forget about the kinds of things we should never tolerate in the Muslim world like female genital mutilation, or the mistreatment of women, homosexuals, and apostates.

Aslan consistently tries to convince people these are not real problems, and people like Harris who suggest otherwise are routinely defamed. Its completely outrageous.

exactly, reza aslan is not helping islam, people like Maajid Nawaz are the ones doing it.

https://youtu.be/1CYuwBcPObQ?t=2m30s

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on October 12, 2015, 08:30:38 PM

A big flaming eye it is ... whose minions need a total rehab.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.