News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The New Atheist Movement is Dead

Started by CrucifyCindy, October 12, 2015, 06:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

Quote from: missingnocchi on November 07, 2015, 06:53:43 PM
Been around a lot longer than you, newbie :)

A. I'm going to say bad things about these people because I don't like them.

B. I'm right because

C. I'm right

D. Been around a lot longer than you, newbie.

Love the meticulous, scientific argumentation there.

missingnocchi

Quote from: stromboli on November 07, 2015, 07:43:00 PM
A. I'm going to say bad things about these people because I don't like them.

B. I'm right because

C. I'm right

D. Been around a lot longer than you, newbie.

Love the meticulous, scientific argumentation there.

I didn't start the ad hominem fire
It was always burnin' since the forum vitriol's been churnin'

Edit: But seriously, what did you want me to say to that guy? His points were 1. nuh uh and 2. lol what are you a christian?
What's a "Leppo?"

stromboli

"Been around a lot longer than you, newbie" is the rhetoric of a sixth grader talking down to a third grader and laying down the facts of life without having lived a life.

QuoteDawkins, Hitchens and Harris - the favorite authors of guys who yell at old ladies in line at the supermarket for wearing a Jesus fish necklace. It's a shame someone as respectable as Dan Dennett got caught up in their shenanigans, especially considering how anti-philosophical Dawkins and Harris in particular are. Still, as far as misrepresenting atheism goes, they have nothing on the living, breathing strawman himself, Ricky Gervais.

Dawkins has a doctorate in biology and more awards than I can count, Hitchens while alive was a long established and very on point commentator on society. Harris has a PHD in cognitive neuroscience.

Excuse me, but I'm more inclined to listen to people who have a background in the issues they deal with than someone who very casually dismisses their work as either false or trivial. And Gervais is one funny guy and has made some very apt commentary about religion. Oh and by the way, Gervais holds a second class honors degree in philosophy.

These are lettered and experienced people who speak from experience and positions of authority in their fields. Dismissing them out of hand without anything but casual aspersions doesn't make you anything but the sixth grader talking down to the third grader.

missingnocchi

Quote from: stromboli on November 07, 2015, 08:28:20 PM
"Been around a lot longer than you, newbie" is the rhetoric of a sixth grader talking down to a third grader and laying down the facts of life without having lived a life.

Dawkins has a doctorate in biology and more awards than I can count, Hitchens while alive was a long established and very on point commentator on society. Harris has a PHD in cognitive neuroscience.

Excuse me, but I'm more inclined to listen to people who have a background in the issues they deal with than someone who very casually dismisses their work as either false or trivial. And Gervais is one funny guy and has made some very apt commentary about religion. Oh and by the way, Gervais holds a second class honors degree in philosophy.

These are lettered and experienced people who speak from experience and positions of authority in their fields. Dismissing them out of hand without anything but casual aspersions doesn't make you anything but the sixth grader talking down to the third grader.

I'll start by saying that I don't care about their degrees. You can have all the degrees you like, it doesn't make you right when you're wrong (though I admit, this is the first time I've ever seen someone try to spin a BA in Philosophy as a merit).

I'm not going to bother responding to your comment about Hitchens, either, since it's not even a meaningful claim. I don't have anything against Dawkins' or Harris' scientific careers. Neither of which, by the way, have much if anything to do with their activities as "New Atheists." No, most of what they did as the New Atheists is complain about how those Christians sure are meanies and act smug about their perceived positions atop the Atheist totem pole. I mean, have you seen this shit? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7IHU28aR2E&ab_channel=CaNANDian

This is the weirdest appeal to authority I've ever seen. Typically it goes something like this:

"A is an authority on a particular topic
A says something about that topic
A is probably correct"

But here you're claiming them as authorities in subjects far removed from their fields.If I've read more philosophy than Dawkins (which isn't inconceivable, considering his tendency to dismiss philosophy out of hadn) then do I get the upper hand? I'll remind you that Michael Behe is at least as much of an authority in Biochemistry as Dawkins is in EvoBio, probably more since he didn't stop doing research the second he got a little fame.

I dismissed whatsisface out of hand because he didn't make any substantial points. I certainly don't dismiss the New Atheists out of hand, however. I am an atheist after all - my natural inclination would be to agree with them. I've read several of their books and watched a lot of their Youtube videos, and my opinion of them is as follows: Dennett is one of the greatest living philosophers and Hitch was a smart guy who also happened to inseparably inject his dickish attitude into everything he wrote. Dawkins and Harris desperately need to read some Hume, because neither of them seems to understand the concept of the is/ought gap or why it's a problem for someone claiming to be ethical independent of a divine entity. Sorry I wasn't in full-on debate mode when I made my earlier comment, if I had known the maturity police were on patrol I would have been more careful.
What's a "Leppo?"

stromboli

And you have dismissed all of these people out of hand without making anything like an argument to back it. That is just meaningless aspersions. You can bandy this nonsense all you want, but until you can specifically refute any of their arguments with better ones, you are still a sixth grader talking down to a third grader. You haven't shown anything that rates you as any kind of authority.

In the case of Dawkins and Harris, both can speak from a position of authority because of their respective fields of study. That makes them legitimate in that context. I'm not expecting to see a litany of degrees from you and frankly don't care. But your whole approach is one of some type of superior authority and you haven't shown one thing that supports your attitude or your argument.

missingnocchi

Quote from: stromboli on November 07, 2015, 09:30:21 PM
And you have dismissed all of these people out of hand without making anything like an argument to back it. That is just meaningless aspersions. You can bandy this nonsense all you want, but until you can specifically refute any of their arguments with better ones, you are still a sixth grader talking down to a third grader. You haven't shown anything that rates you as any kind of authority.

In the case of Dawkins and Harris, both can speak from a position of authority because of their respective fields of study. That makes them legitimate in that context. I'm not expecting to see a litany of degrees from you and frankly don't care. But your whole approach is one of some type of superior authority and you haven't shown one thing that supports your attitude or your argument.

Wow, look at all those quotes of me and specific refutations of my points! You sure are the science master. I'll be sure NOT to dismiss you out of hand in the future ;)

P.S. I get my BS in Biochemistry in 6 months, then it's off to grad school
What's a "Leppo?"

stromboli

Well goody for you. Then be sure and come back and take down everything Dawkins wrote point by point. Until you do that, your comments of dismissal are simply noise.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: missingnocchi on November 07, 2015, 01:03:15 PM
Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris - the favorite authors of guys who yell at old ladies in line at the supermarket for wearing a Jesus fish necklace. It's a shame someone as respectable as Dan Dennett got caught up in their shenanigans, especially considering how anti-philosophical Dawkins and Harris in particular are. Still, as far as misrepresenting atheism goes, they have nothing on the living, breathing strawman himself, Ricky Gervais.
Who has actually been known to do this (yelling at old ladies for wearing the jesus fish)? Or is that what you call it when they wear the Darwin fish, or the FICTION logo which counters the bullshit of the new-age motivated COEXIST logo, spelled out in religious symbols? Woo cannot coexist with rational thought, which is why those who sell it while preaching coexistence and multiculturalism are the most pathetic hypocrites ever to infest society.

Regarding atheists, there is only one kind, those who don't believe in woo-made gods, and we are nothing "new". Most of us are also too intelligent to think yelling at ignorant old ladies is any good way of changing this world. Just don't impose your sick, ignorant fearmongering on the minds of children, because their future, when you infect them with it, is a threat to mine, and it is to that I will respond!
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: missingnocchi on November 07, 2015, 09:38:17 PM
Wow, look at all those quotes of me and specific refutations of my points! You sure are the science master. I'll be sure NOT to dismiss you out of hand in the future ;)

Ignorance is strength.
George Orwell

You do know that was satire? Apparently not.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

missingnocchi

Quote from: peacewithoutgod on November 07, 2015, 11:02:57 PM
Who has actually been known to do this (yelling at old ladies for wearing the jesus fish)? Or is that what you call it when they wear the Darwin fish, or the FICTION logo which counters the bullshit of the new-age motivated COEXIST logo, spelled out in religious symbols? Woo cannot coexist with rational thought, which is why those who sell it while preaching coexistence and multiculturalism are the most pathetic hypocrites ever to infest society.

Regarding atheists, there is only one kind, those who don't believe in woo-made gods, and we are nothing "new". Most of us are also too intelligent to think yelling at ignorant old ladies is any good way of changing this world. Just don't impose your sick, ignorant fearmongering on the minds of children, because their future, when you infect them with it, is a threat to mine, and it is to that I will respond!

No, I'm talking about the loud kind that yells at people in the supermarket (while I was trying to do my job, too). And the kind that shouts 'lol' whenever the professor says something about religion in a cultural geography class. As for 'woo' and what 'most atheists' are like... well, at this point you're just spouting your opinion without much relation to what I've actually said. Is not liking people who are assholes in public 'woo?' News to me! Maybe that's what's "new" about the New Atheists (their name for themselves, not mine, by the way).
What's a "Leppo?"

facebook164

Quote from: missingnocchi on November 07, 2015, 06:53:43 PM
Been around a lot longer than you, newbie :)
I have taken part of the discussions of secular forums since the early nineties so cut the crap.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on November 07, 2015, 09:50:10 AM
It was only about certain authors and vocal critics working hard to promote book sales and speaking engagements of certain persons ;-)
Ah, the people who don't sit quietly at the back of the bus. Got it.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: missingnocchi on November 07, 2015, 09:38:17 PM

Premature congrats!  I agree that appeal to authority (outside of field), among adults, is ridiculous.  We have a few teens posting ... they might want to listen more and speak less ... but I won't push it.  I like teens and they are free to have an uninformed opinion.  And I think Searle does wheelies around Dennett.

Gawdzilla Sama ... yes, atheists are oppressed, and have to be careful speaking out.  But they are not comparable to African-Americans.  My point is ... people who sell books and speaking engagements ... aren't being objective, they are being commercial.  If shit sells, they will sell it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

missingnocchi

Quote from: Baruch on November 08, 2015, 08:40:08 AM
Premature congrats!  I agree that appeal to authority (outside of field), among adults, is ridiculous.  We have a few teens posting ... they might want to listen more and speak less ... but I won't push it.  I like teens and they are free to have an uninformed opinion.  And I think Searle does wheelies around Dennett.

Thanks! And yeah, I'm kind of being reminded why I stopped coming here in the first place. I do know for a fact that one of my antagonists from last night is quite old, but I won't name names.

I also respect Searle quite a bit, but I'm not sure how much of that I have to attribute to being on his side of the debate. Dennett, on the other hand, has earned my grudging respect. I'm as unconvinced by behavioralism as anyone, but I have to admit that he bites every bullet you need to defend it without flinching. It takes balls to deny mental events as strongly as he has.
What's a "Leppo?"

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: missingnocchi on November 07, 2015, 11:20:35 PM
No, I'm talking about the loud kind that yells at people in the supermarket (while I was trying to do my job, too). And the kind that shouts 'lol' whenever the professor says something about religion in a cultural geography class. As for 'woo' and what 'most atheists' are like... well, at this point you're just spouting your opinion without much relation to what I've actually said. Is not liking people who are assholes in public 'woo?' News to me! Maybe that's what's "new" about the New Atheists (their name for themselves, not mine, by the way).

What you are talking about is KIDS, not mature adults - kids have always been rude on their opinions. So what?