Uni. of Texas: Open Carry Dildo Protest

Started by Shiranu, October 14, 2015, 02:00:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Atheon

I love it! Protesting penis substitutes with penis substitutes!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

drunkenshoe

Love it. And one professor resigned over this? Pffft.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Shiranu

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 14, 2015, 02:28:35 AM
Love it. And one professor resigned over this? Pffft.

He resigned in protest of guns being allowed on campus, not the dildos.

I am more... interested... in the fact that in the eyes of the law a visible dildo is worse than a concealed handgun. Especially on a college campus, and a top 10 party school at that.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Shiranu on October 14, 2015, 02:30:31 AM
He resigned in protest of guns being allowed on campus, not the dildos.

Oh OK. My mistake.

QuoteI am more... interested... in the fact that in the eyes of the law a visible dildo is worse than a concealed handgun. Especially on a college campus, and a top 10 party school at that.

Yeah sure. So am I. You'll see this will get so many ridiculous interpretations to avoid the absurdity of the situation. I hope not.

It's a good protest.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

TomFoolery

I'm attending this university in the spring. This concealed carry thing really makes me cringe.

This is why. They did an experiment where they armed students with real handguns (loaded with paint rounds which still hurt), gave them a basic course (which is more than most people with a concealed carry license are required to take -- thanks NRA), and sat them down in a classroom. Eventually an armed gunman came in and started shooting the place up and the results are TERRIFYING.
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/defend-gun-7312540

The problem with the study is that they even had the advantage of knowing it was going to happen. First of all, when you're sitting in class, you're probably listening to the lecture, not poised on the edge of your seat ready to jump into action. Your mind is in a completely different place. Secondly, even for soldiers who go to combat and get shot at all the time, being shot at has this way of inducing even in highly trained people a sort of tunnel vision, where time sort of seems to slow. Even in a trained person, it would take a few seconds to go from struggling to understand Keynesian economic theory one moment and then switch gears to getting to cover, drawing the firearm, taking aim and successfully neutralizing the shooter. In the seconds it took you to do this, the shooter may have already fired off 10-15 rounds, because he had the decided advantage of already having a weapon drawn and an idea of what was going to happen. Now add to the pandemonium a whole classroom full of students doing the same thing you are, which is freaking out and whipping handguns out of purses and holsters, and just no. Not only no, but fuck no.

I was in the Army when both Fort Hood shootings happened and as a result we were required to take so much active shooter and counterterrorism training that eventually the shit just stuck with me. I no longer walk into buildings without acknowledging emergency exits or prefer to sit in theater or classroom seats in direct line of sight of doorways. It's a sad state of affairs that I live in a place where I had to get training on how to best avoid being shot or otherwise attacked in public places. But when everyone is armed, that shit goes right out the window and it's more about praying that all those assholes who feel safer carrying guns have better aim under pressure than cops and soldiers.

The correct answer isn't to be a hero: it's to get to cover, play dead if you have to, and cooperate with law enforcement. If you really must be a hero, be smart about it and realize that real life isn't like the movies and you're far more likely to be successful at stopping the shooter and staying alive yourself if you wait until they're physically close enough for you to tackle them.

The idea that I'm going to attend a school where people have no common sense about the logistics of how gun attacks actually go down frightens me.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Solitary

Excellent post Tom! We have the right to have freedom from fear, as well as to bear arms.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Munch

I await the first report of one student waggling a huge dildo in another's face, before that student pulls a gun and shoots them.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Jack89

It would be more fitting to carry their dildos concealed, so as not to alarm anyone, and only pull them out and use them in the event of a crisis.

Shiranu

Quote from: Jack89 on October 14, 2015, 02:25:46 PM
It would be more fitting to carry their dildos concealed, so as not to alarm anyone, and only pull them out and use them in the event of a crisis.

"Is that a concealed dildo in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"