8 killed in South Carolina flooding

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, October 05, 2015, 11:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Let me be the first to say it's a MIRACLE that I wasn't killed. :pray: It's still raining though so it's not to late! 

Seriously ..a bunch of people lost everything so I feel for them. A section of road just south of here was washed out and tragically it's an area of very expensive homes in a "gated community". It couldn't have happened to nicer people.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

TomFoolery

You're from Columbia, right? I just moved from there back to Texas two months ago. I used to live down by the VA and I've been wondering how my old neighbors are doing. Also, what's it like downtown and around the university? I'm still getting texts from USC saying classes are cancelled today even though I'm no longer enrolled there.

I definitely feel badly for everyone down there. :(
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

AllPurposeAtheist

It's pretty bad down around town from what I can gather. I live out US1 just east of Elgin. Broad river went over I-20 so that's closed as is I-26 out towards Irmo and St Andrews I can't imagine that the area around the VA is doing to spiffy either. 

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

AllPurposeAtheist

Spears Creek Church Rd just south of us which pretty much cuts us off from I-20. You'd think someone would've prayed for this to not happen.
Picture gallery from WLTX.
http://www.wltx.com/picture-gallery/weather/2015/10/04/photos-dangerous-flooding-in-the-midlands/73328646/

AllPurposeAtheist

Two Notch Rd which is US1, It's the alternate route to town from here so I have a hunch I won't be driving downtown any time soon.   

drunkenshoe

Looks bad. We had the same thing in north recently.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on October 05, 2015, 11:51:03 AM
Let me be the first to say it's a MIRACLE that I wasn't killed. :pray: It's still raining though so it's not to late! 

Seriously ..a bunch of people lost everything so I feel for them. A section of road just south of here was washed out and tragically it's an area of very expensive homes in a "gated community". It couldn't have happened to nicer people.
"Thank God more people weren't killed."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hijiri Byakuren

Obviously Gawd was punishing people for being infected with the gayz.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

TomFoolery

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on October 05, 2015, 12:28:48 PM

Two Notch Rd which is US1, It's the alternate route to town from here so I have a hunch I won't be driving downtown any time soon.   

I have a lot of fond memories of Jasmine's restaurant down there. :(
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Baruch

Keep your feet dry.  We have some pretty strong thunderstorms here ... and it is really important if you are on higher topography ... and not in a low spot!  Asphalt pavement really channelizes water runoff in bad ways too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

stromboli

Global warming and nature had nothing to do with this. Its teh gayz.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on October 05, 2015, 01:25:40 PM
Global warming and nature had nothing to do with this. Its teh gayz.
Gay hurricanes, that would really blow.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: TomFoolery on October 05, 2015, 12:55:18 PM
I have a lot of fond memories of Jasmine's restaurant down there. :(
Jasmine was the first restaurant Sylvia and I went to. Pretty good buffet. If you get there during lunch it's a lot cheaper. I also like Nicks down that way. I'm guessing that they probably got flooded. They sit in a low area on Two Notch not that far from Jasmine.
The folks across the lake from us HAD a floating dock. Now they have a stationary dock in their back yard ..I bet that will be fun to get back in the water. Still minor stuff compared to others around town.