News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Ignorance of Optimism

Started by CrucifyCindy, September 21, 2015, 08:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: TomFoolery on September 23, 2015, 03:10:47 PM
But pessimism is just negative faith, so...

No...no...no. Pessisism is having no faith that the outcome will be good.
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

TomFoolery

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on September 23, 2015, 03:17:02 PM
No...no...no. Pessisism is having no faith that the outcome will be good.

No, not really. It's more like having faith that the outcome will be bad. You know, the opposite of optimism?

Ironic really, because now you're pulling the glass half full/glass half empty debate about the very meaning of pessimism.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: TomFoolery on September 23, 2015, 03:22:46 PM
No, not really. It's more like having faith that the outcome will be bad. You know, the opposite of optimism?

Ironic really, because now you're pulling the glass half full/glass half empty debate about the very meaning of pessimism.

Didn't you read that? It is about having a lack of hope or confidence, it is not about hoping things will turn out bad.
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

Mike Cl

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on September 23, 2015, 03:09:48 PM
The author of the Book of Hebrews in the New Testament gives us a definition of faith:

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.

Now look at Oxford's Dictionary definition of optimism:

Hopefulness and confidence about the future or the successful outcome of something

See the similarities? Optimism is having faith that the outcome will be good. It is faith in that which has not yet happened nor can be proven to be actualized. So yes there are similarities between optimism and religious belief.
You can be as sad and depressed and negative as you wish.  More power to you.  And if it helps you get through the day, good for you.  You can push and pull and massage as much as you want.  But optimism and pessimism are neutral.  I have been around many theists who are pessimistic.  And optimistic.  And I don't have faith in anything.  I expect things.  The sun will rise tomorrow and it will set tomorrow.  One day that will not be true--for both me and the planet.  But up until this moment, it has been true in my life.  I don't have faith the sun will rise, but I expect it to.  If it doesn't, then I'll deal with it as best I can.  You see, I chose to think of optimism as expecting that the outcome will be good.  However, I am not naive about it or neglect my prudent planning.  I may carry a spare tire in my car and jumper cables.  But I do not expect that I will use them.  If I need to, I do know how they are used and can use them. 

Look, I know shit happens.  I've lived thru a bunch of shit.  And I'll live thru more--and some shit may kill me.  But, I will not mope around and make plans for when that shit happens, not dwell on it.  I just know that shit happens, and I have taken prudent precautions.  So, I simply live my life a moment at a time, enjoying it for what it is--not for what it isn't.  Many many people live by the axiom of strive for the best but be prepared for the worst.  I expect the best; but when shit happens I deal with it.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

BTW--that glass is still half full. And yes, it is still too close to the edge of the table.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Channeling Josephpalazzo ... you are all wrong.  The water is at the bottom of the glass.  It also appears that the temperature of the water has reached ambient room temperature (it isn't boiling or freezing) ... therefore what we are seeing is the maximizing of entropy ... the very pith and marrow of pessimism ... that the future on average will be more and more blah!  Dystopia is upon us ... run while you still have positive working energy ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Entropy says the water will eventually evaporate, dumb freethinking theist...:lol:

Baruch

Matter will eventually evaporate, thereby proving at least BID ... belated intelligent design ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on September 25, 2015, 07:22:03 AM
Matter will eventually evaporate, thereby proving at least BID ... belated intelligent design ;-)

No, no, no. Matter wasn't designed to evaporate. Liquids, yes. Matter is a different matter... oh wait, is that a pun?!?

Baruch

May your protons decay, but very slowly ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on September 25, 2015, 12:53:44 PM
May your protons decay, but very slowly ;-)

You don't say! Proton's half-life is 6.6×1033 years. Not only will I be dead, but that is longer than the age of the entire universe!!!

Baruch

Thanks to reincarnation, we all have a front row seat at the Restaurant At The End Of The Universe ... see you there ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Solomon Zorn

The glass is a bad example, because it is erroneous to say that calling the glass half-full, makes any kind of assumptions about the future. Half-full only shows appreciation for what is there, rather than disappointment for what is not there.

If you think theists are optimists, you haven't read Revelation, or paid any attention to what they are saying these days.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/category/topics/end-times

Optimism and Pessimism, as philosophies, are both ridiculous when taken to the extreme. Read Voltaire's Candide, for a deeper look at it.

In my opinion, the wise will avoid both extremes.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on September 26, 2015, 06:43:18 AM
Thanks to reincarnation, we all have a front row seat at the Restaurant At The End Of The Universe ... see you there ;-)

Reincarnation? Where's your cynicism when it counts?? Where's your anti-realism... oh well, nix that...

Combanitorics

There are definitely times when optimism is unrealistic.  For the most part this is more a social question of attitude than a matter of reason, though.  "Optimism" is an outlook that says, I can actually control my emotions and choose to be a happy person.  The person making this claim for him or herself may be telling the truth, and may just be engaging in wishful thinking.