News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

RUSH: An Atheist Rock Band

Started by Solomon Zorn, September 21, 2015, 06:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Apologies to the OP for the epic derail. War stories are contagious.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 22, 2015, 05:42:14 PM
The docs were wondering the same thing, but the baby cannons were just so much music to me. Eighty-two pounds of lead a minute out of each barrel at full rock-and-roll. (Theoretical, that would fuck up the barrels a bit.)
After my regular Army stint, I joined the local NG.  It was during that 3 yr. period that I got to play with 'toys' like the .50 cal.  Also got to play with a combat shotgun, a Thompson sub-machine gun. an uzi, a 9mm auto pistol, a .45 pistol, and of course, the ever popular M-16.  That was fun!  But I was happy to spend the next 6 yrs back in the Mil. Intell.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on September 22, 2015, 11:38:54 AM
Wasn't the drummer some sort of Randroid and many of the songs are about objectivism?
He calls himself a "bleeding heart Libertarian." I don't agree with all the political stuff, but I didn't agree with all of John Lennon's politics either. Neil Peart is a virtually peerless drummer, and I like the anti-religious themes.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on September 22, 2015, 06:41:49 PM
He calls himself a "bleeding heart Libertarian." I don't agree with all the political stuff, but I didn't agree with all of John Lennon's politics either. Neil Peart is a virtually peerless drummer, and I like the anti-religious themes.
Help me out and list some songs with libertarian attitudes, please? Anybody?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Sol we went from Rush the band through military memories back to Rush and then Libertarian. Let's see, pick an appropriate smiley.........

:think:

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 22, 2015, 06:46:09 PM
Help me out and list some songs with libertarian attitudes, please? Anybody?
Not sure that I could. He does describe himself that way, though, in an interview I read. I guess 2112 is based on Ayn Rand's work, though I couldn't say for sure, as I haven't read her work.

The songs, "Second Nature" and "Prime Mover" might qualify, but that might be my own interpretation.

"https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZGwGR1BltFo"

"https://www.youtube.com/embed/kHUfEyakl7E"
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Termin

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on September 21, 2015, 06:57:09 AM
If you're not familiar with the band, RUSH, they're a Canadian band, who have been playing together since the early seventies. They are a three man band, consisting of a guitar player (Alex Lifeson), a singer/bass player/keyboard player (Geddy Lee), and a drummer (Neil Peart). The drummer is an atheist, and writes all the song lyrics. The drums take the foreground more than with most bands. They were recently inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

This song is one of their best, and really showcases the drums.
"https://www.youtube.com/embed/vNe2vTm7va4"

I recommend cranking up the volume!

No it's not "a drummer Neil Peart, it's THE drummer Neil Peart :)
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

Gawdzilla Sama

Not seeing that as Libertarian. Oh well.
PZ Myers

caseagainstfaith

I saw them a total of 3 times.  Twice in the 80's.  Once on their recent R40 tour.  They say this is this is their last major tour.  Lifeson has arthritis and Peart has tendinitis.  They say they may still work together and do some stuff, but no more major tourgs.

I went ahead and read the Wikipedia page, learned some things. Like they have had the same lineup for 40 years, hence the "R40" name of the tour. But, it is not the original lineup.  The song, "Working Man" was on their first album with a different drummer.  The first two times I saw Rush, they didn't play "Working Man", but, it was their last song of the encore this tour, including the final show. So, if that does turn out to be their last ever concert, then the last song Peart performed with Rush wasn't one of his songs.

And, I guess they aren't working men anymore...

Also, the band took about 5 years off.  Peart's wife and daughter died, I think one in car crash and one from cancer, not certain if I recall correctly.  In any case, Peart told the band he was retired.  But, they didn't try to replace him and he remarried and decided to join the band again.  I guess when Peart is married, he needs to tour to get out of the house, LOL. 
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on October 03, 2015, 04:01:33 PM
Also, the band took about 5 years off.  Peart's wife and daughter died, I think one in car crash and one from cancer, not certain if I recall correctly.

Yup, Peart wrote a book called 'Ghost Rider' about his motorbike-based travels on the road to getting over the double tragedy. Quite a read!