Texas teenager arrested after a homemade clock was mistaken for a bomb

Started by drunkenshoe, September 17, 2015, 07:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauricio

he makes it clear on his later tweet:

QuoteHORRIFIED anyone thinks I could POSSIBLY liken Ahmed to a killer. My ONLY point of comparison was their AGES: kids not immune to criticism.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

CloneKai

Quote from: Baruch on November 25, 2015, 08:29:48 PM
Dawkins is clearly a shit head ... or misquoted ;-) ... but never a thing as Islamaphobia.
Quote from: mauricio on November 25, 2015, 08:33:59 PM
He was clearly refuting the fact that being a kid does not make you an angel, since kids are capable of great evil. And obviously his enemies gotta misinterpret him in the worst possible way. This has being going on for years.
I don't know much about social media, but is it normal for reputable doctors to follow stupid stories of some stupid kids in another country or something.
this guy is calling the kid a hoax boy, posting youtube links that might or might not be true but still not really relevant, and then showing pic of some muslim terrorist boy to prove that this kid might not be innocent, knowing the fact the problem started with people thinking that this kid was a possibly a terrorist.
I mean does he follow stupid shit in all countries or just in usa? 
and do doctors put their reputation on line like this on social media?

Shiranu

Quoteand do doctors put their reputation on line like this on social media?

Dawkins' relevance in the social sphere has to do with his out-spoken criticism of dogmatic religion more than any of his biology work... which is a bit sad, because some of his layman-aimed works on evolution are absolutely beautiful. But controversy is what sells, and Dawkins knows this.

His reputation as a biologist is probably pretty solidly set, this is more a side-gig for him.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

One could suspect ... suspect that Dawkins is paranoid.  Or at least he choses very poor examples to illustrate his points.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

mauricio

dawkins just does not give a fuck about PR, he just says what he believes about any issue that comes to his attention. And people always try to find bigotry in between the lines of what he is actually saying. He's probably used to it and does not care or we can go with the theory of he does it for the clicks! Imo the ones who do it for the clicks are the people who make news out of trying to smear him as a bigot.

Baruch

So ... you like loud mouth louts?  You must be a Trump-bot ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

mauricio

Quote from: Baruch on November 26, 2015, 10:01:55 PM
So ... you like loud mouth louts?  You must be a Trump-bot ;-)

no i like honest people and therefore give no fucks about your 'MURICAN political circus =D

Baruch

Quote from: mauricio on November 26, 2015, 10:02:59 PM
no i like honest people and therefore give no fucks about your 'MURICAN political circus =D

Not a circus!  Freak show ;-)  Next President will be a carnival geek, with nukes ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

CloneKai

weren't people saying they like Donald Trump because he is honest and doesn't worry about pc.

doesn't dawkin think it is possible that the video is a hoax instead of the clock? it all just seems so silly to take such a stand on something you barely know about.

Baruch

Quote from: CloneKai on November 27, 2015, 04:07:25 AM
weren't people saying they like Donald Trump because he is honest and doesn't worry about pc.

doesn't dawkin think it is possible that the video is a hoax instead of the clock? it all just seems so silly to take such a stand on something you barely know about.

Public figures frequently open mouth and insert foot ;-)  They would all flunk speech making class these days.  We expect Internet trolls who are actually communicating from the prison cafeteria ... to be know-it-alls ... but we don't expect boorish behavior from the Elite.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on November 24, 2015, 08:34:54 PM

Get off your damn high horse. The bomb squad was called to my school 10 years ago because someone left a note threatening to bomb it. No actual bomb was found. This kid got off easy considering how jumpy Americans are these days.
No valid comparison there, a bomb threat requires action by longstanding written procedures. A clock, on the other hand, which is presented as a clock involves no threat, and no evidence of explosive materials or bulk that could be reasonably suspected as explosive materials or shrapnel gives nobody the excuse to treat it as a bomb.

However, I would lean toward the side of anyone who suspects foul play with the law, which this kid knowingly participated in. He was warned to stop showing that clock, and he directly disobeyed that directive. It turns out he isn't really a tinkerer (lack of other tricks to show), and the clock bears more the workmanship of an amaturish bombmaker or a smart 9-year old than a serious clock hobbyist at age 14.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

mauricio

CloneKai

Quote from: mauricio on November 27, 2015, 03:03:20 PM
this video shows some evidence I had not seen before, makes me even more suspicious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UGLM31S6II
what new evidence? all these things were already reported.
the thing CoD didn't mention was he showed it to an engineer teacher too. who would probably had asked question on how it works and how he did it.
and what about the forcing this kid to sign that letter of confession.

It is a pencil case, a briefcase like. i would buy it too, because that looks cool.
yes, it could be a prank. not good enough reason to take him out of school in handcuffs though.
meeting a war criminal OMG, wait, is Bush a war criminal? no. ok, then this meeting isn't such a big deal either.

I think the people fucked it up, he could have been suspended, police could have question him, but there was no need to handcuff him and take him like that. and if the letter of confession part is true then ........

FaithIsFilth

Quote from: mauricio on November 25, 2015, 07:41:00 PM
You are putting the argument on my mouth I simply showed a negative correlation between his emotional state shown in the media and the symptoms of trauma, which is not the same as claiming the logical necessity
You're right. You did say you doubt his claims rather than believe the opposite of his claims to be true. Still, I don't think it is useful to comment on a picture of someone smiling as they are showing off gifts they received. People usually get cheered up when they get something nice. A death row inmate might have a smile on their face when they get their last meal, but that does't mean that they aren't miserable a lot of the time. You didn't make a claim you can't back up, but commenting on a smiling picture like that is kind of like saying "Foley's sister is smiling. She surely looks tremendously traumatized".

I definitely agree that all claims should be questioned, and anything we see in the media should be questioned. Maybe James Foley's siblings were reading off a script in part. They are both military and perhaps their brother really did die, but the Army told the siblings what to say in the media as far as the "We need to go after ISIS and take care of them" message. I have no problem believing that may very well be the case. Ahmed or his parents may very well have planned this all to get back at the school district for his sister getting in trouble for the bomb threats or whatever. Maybe suing for all that money was the plan before Ahmed even went to school with that clock. Who knows?