The Official Atheist Forums 'Bernie Sanders or Bust' Thread

Started by JBCuzISaidSo, September 17, 2015, 01:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on October 17, 2015, 03:37:15 AM
Amongst people my age (college aged), perhaps. But the problem is my generation doesn't vote come election day, so we are not particularly the demographic to be aiming at.

Frankly, all the candidates are extremely disappointing imo. Hopefully I will be studying abroad in Spain and then moving not too long afterwards to a civilized country around the time the next president gets into office.

Spain would be a lovely place to visit, but with the increasing turn to the Right under the new "king of the week club" and incipient Francoism and devolution in Catalonia ... I can see why the Bourbons would start drinking bourbon.  Is there any place to hide, when the NWO purpose is to crapify every country?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on October 17, 2015, 03:37:15 AM
Amongst people my age (college aged), perhaps. But the problem is my generation doesn't vote come election day, so we are not particularly the demographic to be aiming at.
I live in a college town.  So my impression is skewed a little bit.  And yeah, young people don't vote nearly as much as they should.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 19, 2015, 01:29:34 AM
I live in a college town.  So my impression is skewed a little bit.  And yeah, young people don't vote nearly as much as they should.

Same, more or less. I suppose I am "lucky" in that I basically spend the majority of my day in either a college town or Austin, but then get to see the "regular" side of the country when I head home out in the woods. Gives me two different perspectives, but it's not a pretty picture. They look almost the same, just one rooting for side A and one for side B. Maybe that's all American politics can aspire to be... a sports match between two teams.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Shiranu

But... but... the media is left wing! Surely they would be rooting for Bernie!

On a serious note... the whole democratic primaries has completely fallen off the radar for me... I haven't heard a thing about it as of late. Which is okay because it is still way too far in advance to be campaigning.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 16, 2015, 01:58:54 PM
Update:  another news media "mistake"

Hmmm, I haven't looked at a poll since Bernie was at 10%.  Someone told me over Thanksgiving that Bernie was ahead of Clinton, and I kind of scoffed (to myself) about it.

Hydra009

Polls vary considerably, sometimes Clinton is up to 20% higher, sometimes Bernie narrowly has the lead.  Generally, he's trailing, unfortunately.  But it's important to remember that Clinton was beating Obama in the polls in the 2008 primary.  In the end, all that matters is votes.

Unbeliever

Sanders might actually win - if he were playing on a level field.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 17, 2015, 01:07:40 PM
Polls vary considerably, sometimes Clinton is up to 20% higher, sometimes Bernie narrowly has the lead.  Generally, he's trailing, unfortunately.  But it's important to remember that Clinton was beating Obama in the polls in the 2008 primary.  In the end, all that matters is votes.

Yeah, and polls don't matter much at all until much closer to the actual election - which is the only poll that really counts, anyway.
God Not Found

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Shiranu

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 22, 2015, 05:05:28 PM
Sanders might actually win - if he were playing on a level field.

To be honest... I doubt it (coming from a Bernie supporter). Name recognition is just an incredibly powerful tool in politics... and Hilary has that in spades. Money aside she has a gender and name advantage over Bernie.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on December 22, 2015, 07:25:36 PM
To be honest... I doubt it (coming from a Bernie supporter). Name recognition is just an incredibly powerful tool in politics... and Hilary has that in spades. Money aside she has a gender and name advantage over Bernie.

Don't forget ... everyone knows that Bernie is Jewish.  This won't help him in even NYC ... because most American Jews shifted from Left to Right during the 70s.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

widdershins

I haven't been following it too closely yet.  I personally find it appalling that all this political crap starts more than a year before the election, and money tends to buy more image than actual policies does.

That being said, I have seen a lot of people excited about Bernie.  I have seen nobody truly "excited" about Hillary.  Personally, I think most of her negatives are either unimportant or manufactured by Republicans afraid to face another Clinton in the election.  Hillary is portrayed as a cold-hearted bitch.  Maybe that's unfair or maybe it's just the kind of person you need dealing with the crap-throwing primates in Congress right now.  She is definitely disconnected from the "common man", thinking that coming close to having to sell one of their mansions because a retired president only makes about $200,000 a year equates to being "dead broke".  But I don't think she would be a terrible president, by any means.  More importantly, she has the skill and experience, not only to govern, but to deal with a contentious Republican Congress hell bent on making her life difficult.

But Sanders definitely generates a whole lot more excitement, as I said.  I don't know of anyone excited about Hillary.  And she's a bit of a corporate stooge, like most of them.  Not to mention that Republicans have tried their best to poison the hell out of that well with Benghazi, the email scandal and anything else they could dig up.  And, granted, most Americans are far to ill-informed to know that both of these things are really non-issues (though the email thing was a bit stupid and had the potential to be a bad thing).

I have a friend that tries to get me to support Sanders every time I see him, on Saturday nights.  He has a bit of an abrasive personality (jovial to the point of being a total dick is the best way I can describe it) and I'm pretty sure he's doing it just to fuck with me, but each time he does it I like Sanders less and less just to spite him.  He is completely serious in his support for Sanders and disdain for Hillary.

But personally, I'm not quite ready to go from "our fist non-white President" back to "old white guy" just yet, which is my biggest stickler against Bernie.  He's the oldest, whitest guy running.  The only way he could get any whiter is if he "had a black friend" to prove he wasn't racist, but that's uniquely a Republican thing as far as I know.
This sentence is a lie...

Unbeliever

Bernie's like a salmon trying to swim upstream during a raging flood.
God Not Found