News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Making Money On The "End Times"

Started by stromboli, September 16, 2015, 12:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.truth-out.org/buzzflash/commentary/christian-end-timers-herald-end-of-earth-while-raking-in-advertising-dollars/19529-christian-end-timers-herald-end-of-earth-while-raking-in-advertising-dollars#.Vfl_bJuzzCo.reddit

QuoteTroy Anderson is the executive editor of Charisma, one of leading Christian evangelical publications in the world. He appears totally sincere in his beliefs. He's not a purveyor of Harold Camping-esque End Times predictions, savvy enough not to be trapped into telling us exactly when The End Times is coming. He will, however, tell you that there are abundant signs, that it could be any day now: "The signsâ€"the last of the four blood moons, the biblical Shemitah, rise of end-time 'Babylon,' the Supreme Court decision legalizing same-sex marriage, the dangerous Iranian nuclear deal and a world drowning in debt and dangling on the edge of economic catastropheâ€"seem unmistakable now."

Then again, given that the Charisma magazine website featuring Anderson's story is carrying advertisements for investing in Solar panels for homes â€" an investment that will take a while to pay off, leadership training that "will positively impact your church, business or ministry," and subscriptions to the magazine, the End Times could be a ways off.

Ever since Harold Camping stirred up his flock into selling their worldly possessions and hunkering down for The Rapture, and subsequently becoming the subject of scorn and ridicule when it didn't happen, most End Times evangelicals are smart enough not to go there.

They are, however, not reluctant to warn Christians â€" and I suppose other innocent bystanders â€" that "harbingers of the apocalypse have been gathering for decades" but "most of the world has been largely oblivious to the gathering tempest and prophetic warnings." Now, however, "global instabilityâ€"geopolitically, financially and culturally," more people are paying attention.

Franklin Graham, the controversial son of the Rev. Billy Graham and president of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, says America has reached a "defining moment": "As a nation we have arrogantly turned our back on God, and I believe God's judgment will come against our country."

Bestselling author Rabbi Jonathan Cahn sees "a perfect prophetic storm": "For years, I have been warning that America was progressing down a course of apostasy and judgment. The harbingers have all manifested, the national departure from God is accelerating almost exponentially, America's relationship with Israel is at an all-time low, and now with the striking down of the biblical definition of marriage, the very order of God, we have a crossed a fateful line. It is all converging."

Dr. Jack Graham, pastor of the 40,000-member Prestonwood Baptist Church in Plano, Texas, says that, "this very well could be the terminal generation": "People are talking about it everywhere that something big is about to happen, and so this is just another element of awarenessâ€"the blood moons' phenomenaâ€"that we can't go on the way we're going."

For his Charisma magazine piece titled "Is the End Really Near?," Anderson, co-author of The Babylon Code: Solving the Bible's Greatest End Times Mystery conducted interviews with what he characterized as "several dozen highly respected Bible prophecy scholars ... [and] they agree the world is now experiencing an unparalleled acceleration and convergence in end-time signs."

According to Anderson, "Dr. Tim LaHaye, Joel C. Rosenberg, Dr. Chuck Missler, Paul McGuire, Pastor Greg Laurie, Dr. Robert Jeffress, Sid Roth, Rabbi Jonathan Bernis, Dr. Thomas Ice, Dr. Ron Rhodes and others said that while they may disagree on the prophetic significance of the blood moons and Shemitah prophecies, they overwhelmingly agree that the world is in the run-up to the end-time events predicted by the biblical prophets."

"'The polls show the highest percentage of both Christians and the general public who recognize we may well be living in the very times our Lord and His prophets warned would exist just prior to the end times,' says [Tim] LaHaye, a renowned prophecy expert, minister and co-author of the Left Behind series of end-time novels that sold 80 million copies."

In an attempt to buttress his thesis that globalization is leading to the much-dreaded New International Order, or New World Order, Anderson hands over the reins to Dr. Jack Graham who unequivocally states "There is no question that there is now the potential of a world governmentâ€"the New World Order, the kingdom of the Antichrist. All these (recent events) point to this reality."

Anderson also throws in some quotes from such folks as the highly controversial Lt. Gen. William G. "Jerry" Boykin, and the disgraced televangelist Jim Bakker.

Boykin, executive vice president at the Family Research Council and former U.S. deputy undersecretary of defense, says, somewhat predictably, that the world is "definitely moving toward global Marxism": "Remember, Karl Marx's goal was to dethrone God and destroy capitalism. Once you remove God, you are on the path to Marxism, and I believe very much that this is an end-time strategy of the enemy."

Bakker, the ever-sincere scam artist who served prison time for bilking his followers out of scads of money, now tells us that "more fulfilled biblical last days" prophecies are coming together than ever before. "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse are out of the barn. They are riding," Bakker says. "I believe with all my heart that this year, in the next few months, that it's the 'beginning of sorrows.' I believe we are moving full-blast into that event. America is not going to be the same. The world is not going to be the same."

Don't be alarmed says Tim LaHaye. "Obviously, those who know Him as their Savior and Lord need not worry or be troubled, for we are waiting for His soon call to heaven," LaHaye says. "How soon? No one knows. But of this I am persuaded: We are very close to the 'end times.'"

Like LaHaye, none of the charismatic, prophetic preachers will dare answer the "How soon?" question. After all, you can't sell magazine subscriptions, apocalyptic novels, and solar power panels if it's all going up in smoke at any moment.

Yup, like somebody said. "live in the now!" And ignore the fact that it has been the last days for 2,000 years. So we are all going to be here after the end of the month, thousands more will have signed up for the stupid believer mail list and more evangelical churches will get members. At some point even the stupidest have got to realize they are being bilked, but you can never overestimate the power of stupid.

AllPurposeAtheist

Well it's pretty clear that making the world end costs a shitload of money and god doesn't really have a job so he needs that money and by not contributing you're only delaying the end times. 
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on September 16, 2015, 12:10:23 PM
Well it's pretty clear that making the world end costs a shitload of money and god doesn't really have a job so he needs that money and by not contributing you're only delaying the end times. 

That is more true than not.

josephpalazzo

I predict that the end will come...

[spoiler]when the sun becomes a red giant and swallows the earth... Ok, that's in about 7 billion years.[/spoiler]

stromboli

Quote from: josephpalazzo on September 16, 2015, 01:04:14 PM

[spoiler]when the sun becomes a red giant and swallows the earth... Ok, that's in about 7 billion years.[/spoiler]

I knew that.  :biggrin:

Baruch

What ... are you prejudiced against blue giants ... gotta be equal time for Red and Blue ;-)  Liberate the Hertzprung-Russell Diagram!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

In its death throes, the sun would probably push the Earth away slightly and wouldn't actually swallow the Earth.

stromboli

Death throes- what a cheerful thought.

1liesalot

People are such dick-heads. Every generation thinks it's in the End Times. 

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: 1liesalot on September 16, 2015, 04:27:45 PM
People are such dick-heads. Every generation thinks it's in the End Times. 

I'm not sure the prospect of President Trump will help this.   :toilet:

Baruch

In the end, only the lawyers around Trump will survive, because they always do well ;-)

Stromboli ... for many folks, the actual diagram would be clarifying.  Where does the Trump nova fit on that chart man?  Maybe between the Red and Blue Giants?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

I should get on the bandwagon and start selling the end times of everyone's teeth as her dental deity,  the tooth fairy is highly pissed off.
That ought to be good for at least a few hundred thousand dollars ..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

1liesalot

Quote from: Youssuf Ramadan on September 16, 2015, 04:29:39 PM
I'm not sure the prospect of President Trump will help this.   :toilet:

His hair is against him. Ultimately, there will be buyer's remorse and when it counts the most, people will suddenly decide not to vote for him after all, because of that hair.