Is the word "Islamophobia" an apologist's charter?

Started by 1liesalot, September 15, 2015, 05:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1liesalot

I am tired of  dIsamophobia. It is a word, not a theory and it is a deliberate attempt to obfuscate and trivialise religious violence. Why don't we use the word "bigot" instead. It would be more appropriate and would kill two birds with one stone by allowing people to call out any down home bigotry without having to compromise the message on the dangers of religious fanaticism.

drunkenshoe

I am sick of people who call me -or anyone else for that matter- anti-semitist when I criticise the blatantly genocidal war policies of Israel.

I am sick of being called anti-American whenever I criticise the international policies of the USA based on war industries and war itself as an industry.

I am sick of being called an 'apologist' whenever I remind that the idea behind those policies are pretty much the same with what islamic terrorists have and trying to accomplish.

They are all deliberate attempts to obfuscate and trivialise the naked agression and millions of death tolls world has suffered for the last 60 years and still suffering. So it is a bit more than just bigotry. The appropriate term is Terrorist States. Trust me, it kills more than 2 birds.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

1liesalot ... polemic and apologetic aren't honest discussion ... they are too defensive and too aggressive.  "Islamaphobia" is an apologetic ... like the Church Fathers writing that not only were the early Gentile Christians not subversive hippies, but that they were more pro-Roman than the pagans.

We can choose to live in fear on our knees, or we can live in hope on our own two feet.  I am not into the future much, but that is what one can do.  Of course hope is the last plague not let out of Pandora's box.  One has to act every day in every way for a better world to happen, Adam Smith's hidden hand won't do.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

doorknob

Islamaphobia is a word that gets slung at people like mud.

Some people really are islamaphobic as with anything. But I think just speaking against islam gets this word hurled at you.

Baruch

Same as saying that any Jew does anything bad (for real) ... you get called anti-semitic, even if you are Jewish.  But I think this mostly happens if the other party is a minority or some "other" ... the majority doesn't do this PC ritual when it is just them.  It is easier for us to believe the falsehood, that if one or a few people do a bad thing ... then they all do ... when it isn't the majority we are talking about ... they would respond with "who? me?".  Generally in a quantitative way, the majority is doing more damage than any minority.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: doorknob on September 15, 2015, 07:22:14 AM

Some people really are islamaphobic as with anything. But I think just speaking against islam gets this word hurled at you.

pretty much. From what I hear, in Sweden, even mentioning the word out in public is considered an offense and something that can get to arrested.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

widdershins

Islamophobia isn't a real thing, it's a word make up by PC sensitivity Nazis to bash people in the head with if they say anything bad about Islam and especially when they relate Islam to terrorism.  I hate Islam.  I also hate Christianity.  I essentially hate organized religion and find people who believe in magic to be altogether silly.  No, not all Muslims are terrorists, but a good share of terrorists are Muslim, therefore relating the two is fair.  Yes, there are decent Muslims out there and I can respect them, as people.  Their religion, however is batshit crazy and full of people who use it as an excuse to attack anyone not like them.  Pretty much Christianity on crazy ass steroids.  SOME people don't take it that way, and good for them.  But that's on them, not on the religion itself.  The Qur'an says I deserve to die because I don't believe the Qur'an.  Islam is based on the Qur'an.  Therefore Islam is shit, even if some people who follow Islam aren't total dicks about it.  Pretty straight forward logic as far as I'm concerned.  If someone wants to call me an Islamophobe for that, I don't really have a problem with anything any festizio has to say about me.
This sentence is a lie...

Sal1981

I don't fear Islam in the sense more than I have a phobia for ideas, like any belief in the supernatural, I just think they're plain wrong.

peacewithoutgod

Because Islam really is the most dangerous and violent religion in the world - not because of what every muslim believes, nor what every muslim teaches, but its people as a whole have proven to be most untrustworthy when it comes to long-term mutual tolerance, peaceful behavior, and respect for the value of all human life within their own groups. They are culturally not tuned in to the Western standards of justice for all, and it doesn't matter when some among them are non-violent, most of them aren't going to report violence when they see it because a) they accept as authority those who insist their violence is just, or b) they are afraid to report on for fear of their own safety. It's the Islamic followers who kill people in Europe and America, not the Hindus, not the Buddhists, and not the Jews (not even the most fundamentalist sects among them), despite the fact that each has about the same population densities in these cultures. Islam is a violent culture because it is founded on the philosophy of intolerance and cultural expansionism. They really don't understand what it means to coexist peacefully with people who think differently from them
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

Baruch

Peacewithoutgod ... it isn't that you are wrong about Muslims ... but that you are wrong about Infidels.  The West isn't about justice at all.  Don't drink the kool-aid in Jonestown.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: Baruch on September 15, 2015, 06:47:17 PM
Peacewithoutgod ... it isn't that you are wrong about Muslims ... but that you are wrong about Infidels.  The West isn't about justice at all.  Don't drink the kool-aid in Jonestown.
Baruch, it's about Western judicial ideals, not our unfortunate foreign policies.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

Baruch

But lawyers and judges aren't even worth pissing on ... the SCOTUS in particular!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

CrucifyCindy

Quote from: peacewithoutgod on September 15, 2015, 06:45:20 PM
Islam is a violent culture because it is founded on the philosophy of intolerance and cultural expansionism.

Pot meet kettle.
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

Shiranu

Quote from: peacewithoutgod on September 15, 2015, 06:45:20 PM
Because Islam really is the most dangerous and violent religion in the world - not because of what every muslim believes, nor what every muslim teaches, but its people as a whole have proven to be most untrustworthy when it comes to long-term mutual tolerance, peaceful behavior, and respect for the value of all human life within their own groups. They are culturally not tuned in to the Western standards of justice for all, and it doesn't matter when some among them are non-violent, most of them aren't going to report violence when they see it because a) they accept as authority those who insist their violence is just, or b) they are afraid to report on for fear of their own safety. It's the Islamic followers who kill people in Europe and America, not the Hindus, not the Buddhists, and not the Jews (not even the most fundamentalist sects among them), despite the fact that each has about the same population densities in these cultures. Islam is a violent culture because it is founded on the philosophy of intolerance and cultural expansionism. They really don't understand what it means to coexist peacefully with people who think differently from them

Out of sheer curiosity, how many Muslims do you actually know? Like, talk to them, get to know them, know... Not, "oh, I saw them walking around town once.".
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

1liesalot

Quote from: doorknob on September 15, 2015, 07:22:14 AM

We should be able to condemn the heinous acts of suicide bombers and the killing of cartoonists and other innocents without being accused of some sort of jingoistic phobia. We have good reason to worry about Islamic fundamentalism and martyr syndromes. ISIS think we are in the end times. Could you imagine them getting their hands on a nuclear bomb? They would use it. So it's in everybody's interests to challenge religious extremism, wherever we see it.