News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Show me your fridges and pantries

Started by TomFoolery, September 14, 2015, 02:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFoolery

Fellow atheists,

What do you eat? This started from a Facebook thread by a conservative local talk show host who claimed no one in the middle class had full refrigerators. He posted this meme:

It caused me to ask myself if I'm really middle class, if all Americans really eat that way, and how do other people around the world eat.

I'm looking at these pictures and thinking, wow, I have a lot of sugar in my house. I'm actually also a vegetarian but my husband and step daughter aren't, thus the meat in the freezer.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

AllPurposeAtheist

My fridge would be very misleading because Sylvia, my gf refuses to toss out even tiny scraps of food so there are dozens of jars full of crap nobody will eat. But not all is lost. She eats those scraps for lunch, etc.. She also gets the idea she likes something so she over buys it and it sits for a year or more till she either eats it or finally tossed it as the globs of mold invade the shelves.
The conservative notion that poor people eat so much better is born out of the food stamp program and the fear that someone else is getting something for nothing.  By golly, I used to buy the ingredients to make birthday cakes for my kids when we had food stamps and now I hold my head in shame for making my kids lives just a tiny bit better.  They obviously should have starved to death, but only after birth because everyone knows it's a sin to abort unwanted babies, but soon as they're born it's ok to feed the kids to the neighborhood cat.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

:super: Being a vegetarian is great for the animals, and for your health. I try, but still eat meat on special occasions. I still see higher forms of animals as sentient creatures like ourselves. I love animals more than most people, even the wild ones.  :syda:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

TomFoolery

Quote from: Solitary on September 14, 2015, 02:35:42 PM
:super: Being a vegetarian is great for the animals, and for your health. I try, but still eat meat on special occasions. I still see higher forms of animals as sentient creatures like ourselves. I love animals more than most people, even the wild ones.  :syda:

I guess if someone held a gun to my head I wouldn't claim to be a vegetarian. Most of my dislike about meat comes from factory farming. I still cook meat for my husband and I still get yearnings every time I cook bacon. :( In the past three years, I've eaten meat a handful of times, but each time I have it's been because either I or someone I know hunted or fished for it. But the way I see it is, I don't really need to do those things to live, so I don't, but I certainly would if I had to with no qualms.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Hydra009

5 boxes of cereal, no milk, one moldy grapefruit, a bag of rice, 1 pound can of green beans, and about 20 bottles of hot sauce.

peacewithoutgod

Well, if I could afford to dine out for every meal, then I probably wouldn't bother stocking my fridge either.

"Middle class" is apparently everyone who isn't collecting benefits, and everyone who isn't in the top 0.1%.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

The Skeletal Atheist

Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: TomFoolery on September 14, 2015, 02:20:48 PM
Fellow atheists,

What do you eat? This started from a Facebook thread by a conservative local talk show host who claimed no one in the middle class had full refrigerators. He posted this meme:

Notice how the allegedly "middle class" fridge has a bottle of wine on the door - that's something which food stamps won't buy.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

TomFoolery

Quote from: peacewithoutgod on September 15, 2015, 08:51:28 AM
Notice how the allegedly "middle class" fridge has a bottle of wine on the door - that's something which food stamps won't buy.

If you look to the left of the milk, I have beer!

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: TomFoolery on September 15, 2015, 08:53:15 AM
If you look to the left of the milk, I have beer!
Well then in that case you must be high class - good beer is pricier than decent wine.

stromboli

I first looked at that without my glasses I thought it was "show me your fudge and panties"  :eek: