News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Fat Shaming

Started by CrucifyCindy, September 14, 2015, 12:44:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFoolery

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 14, 2015, 07:58:01 PM
Don't put words in my mouth. I know that some people are overweight because they have a medical condition or are on medication that they need to be on. It's not all or most of the time that these things cause full-blown obesity, but it can and does happen. And she was pretty clear at the end of her video about that.

I'm actually not putting words in your mouth here. I'm taking them directly out of her mouth, and since you said there was nothing inherently offensive in what she said, I don't know why you'd be so put out by me asking you that question...

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 14, 2015, 07:58:01 PM
If you are so offended by the way something is said that you deny the merit of what is said, you should probably rethink how you take in information. Not everything has to be "politically correct" because some people decide to take offense to anything and everything.
You're right. A majority of what she said about heart disease and obesity in general is true. But perhaps instead of you criticizing the way I receive information, she should reconsider the way she doles it out.

Is it wrong to say something along the lines of "If niggers didn't want to go to jail for dealing drugs, they should stop being so poor"?

Technically not. Black people do tend to go to jail for a lot of drug-related offenses, and a lot of black people do live n poverty. But the problem with that statement is it grossly oversimplifies a complex problem at someone else's expense, as though being poor was something easily solved, or racial inequality was all in one's head, and "nigger" is only offensive if you want it to be.

Obesity is also a complex problem. Obesity and poverty go hand in hand. America's food deserts are growing, and the unhealthiest foods tend to be the most widely available and cheapest in terms of bulk. Sugary foods have been shown to be more addictive than cigarettes, and they're peddled to younger and younger kids. Of course obesity comes down to an individual problem, but it's not going to go away by some skinny bitch telling everyone they need to just put the fucking cheeseburger down.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

PickelledEggs

yeah she is a shitty ambassador for being body positive. She seems like she's new to youtube in general though and also seems like she's a copy of JennaMarbles, trying to be offensive to get a message out there.

She had some extra things in to her "dear fat people" video that didn't need to be in there to make the point. It seemed like she added it to make it in the same mood as her "Most offensive video ever" video. I don't know if her other videos are like that, but maybe she has a "entertainment-character" that she's trying to build and keep consistent.

I didn't notice the obesity isn't a disease implication that she made until I just re-watched it, so there are some inaccurate things she's going by and saying. She could have done her research a bit better.

And PeaceWithoutGod, Maybe you've misread what I wrote. I said the seats were small. Already almost too small for someone of average weight/height.  I have never flown first class, only coach, but I wouldn't shame someone for being able to afford it either. That whole comment is practically off topic from how redundant it is.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: TomFoolery on September 14, 2015, 08:38:11 PM
I'm actually not putting words in your mouth here. I'm taking them directly out of her mouth, and since you said there was nothing inherently offensive in what she said, I don't know why you'd be so put out by me asking you that
Ah ok, Sorry I thought you were saying I agree with her shaming people. I should have worded that "I don't find it as offensive as some of the people are finding it", but I was typing on my phone at work and it came out wrong.

I guess I didn't think it was overly offensive becuase I saw it as less of a PSA and more as an attempt (key word, attempt) at an entertaining rant. I guess it's still offensive that way too though.

Like I said, I was overweight for most of my life despite what I did to combat it. I know first hand that weight isn't always manipulated by a sense of control of what you eat and how physically active you are. A very complex issue indeed.

I will say this though. For her to do a video that inspired so many quality videos on the subject because her approach isn't going to be the most well-received, maybe it's good that this video exists. My comment of "If you are so offended by the way something is said that you deny the merit of what is said, you should probably rethink how you take in information. Not everything has to be "politically correct" because some people decide to take offense to anything and everything." is a little overly hopeful. I realize that. I notice it with other subjects too. A good amount of people will not hear a fact if it is too harsh for them. A little fun-fact is that, on the flip side, comedy and laughter will open someone up to new views, facts, and mindsets pretty easily. So maybe because people are doing response videos to this harsh one, more gentle and encouraging videos it will help people.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 14, 2015, 08:39:48 PM
And PeaceWithoutGod, Maybe you've misread what I wrote. I said the seats were small. Already almost too small for someone of average weight/height.  I have never flown first class, only coach, but I wouldn't shame someone for being able to afford it either. That whole comment is practically off topic from how redundant it is.
I think you need to review what you post more carefully before you send it from your phone.

My comment's "off-topic" for being "redundant"? You are so full of shit the way you craft excuses to pull rank as mod while denying your own part in any offense! Whatever you said about the seat size, you attacked the person, one out of no less than five Americans who cannot possibly squeeze into seats which are so unhealthy to any normal human that their imposition on paid travelers should be criminalized! If you are made uncomfortable because you are flying an American airline and you are uncomfortable sitting next to a typically fat American because the seats are too small for anybody who isn't particularly skank-assed and short, then you should fight the airline, not go campaigning to humiliate the passenger. Shame on you for perpetuating such an evil, anti-social scape-goating meme!
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: peacewithoutgod on September 14, 2015, 10:25:19 PM
I think you need to review what you post more carefully before you send it from your phone.

My comment's "off-topic" for being "redundant"? You are so full of shit the way you craft bullshit excuses to pull rank as mod while denying your own part in any offense! Whatever you said about the seat size, you attacked the person, one out of no less than five Americans who cannot possibly squeeze into seats which are so unhealthy to any normal human that their imposition on paid travelers should be criminalized! If you are made uncomfortable because you are flying an American airline and you are uncomfortable sitting next to a typically fat American because the seats are too small for anybody who isn't particularly skank-assed and short, then you should fight the airline, not go campaigning to humiliate the passenger. Shame on you for perpetuating such an evil, anti-social scape-goating meme!

Calm yourself a bit because if you're trying to make a point or actually tell me something, I can't find it in all your off-base and inaccurate insults.

It seems like you're jumping to some major conclusions though. I never said to criminalize anyone.

PickelledEggs

If you're talking about what I said about someone that overlaps in to your seat, that they should have to pay for 2 seats. I stand by that. I said your comment was redundant because you took what I said about saying airplane seats are small to begin with and then basically said the same thing... but in an arguing way like I was saying they were big.

If I payed for an airplane seat, I payed for me to sit in it, not for someone else to also. Airplane seats are small as it is and I wouldn't want even less space because someone else overlaps in to my seat, making me even more uncomfortable from even less space to sit. 
Are you saying that you would be not even the least bit annoyed with someone overlapping in to your seat? Lets be honest here. No one will. I can't imagine that the people that do overlap in to other people's seats are happy about it and I would even go a step further to say that they probably feel unhealthily embarrassed about it. It really sucks for both people and they should just have larger seats to begin with, but people that take the space of more than 1 seat should pay for the space of more than one seat, especially if they are taking up space of people that other people payed for. I'm not going to be a dick and tell that to the person that is encroaching on my space, if it happens, but I would definitely be thinking it and shifting in my seat struggling to be comfortable for the 2+ hour flight.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 14, 2015, 10:31:04 PM
Calm yourself a bit because if you're trying to make a point or actually tell me something, I can't find it in all your off-base and inaccurate insults.

It seems like you're jumping to some major conclusions though. I never said to criminalize anyone.
Somebody is jumping to conclusions alright, and I didn't say that you posted for criminalizing for anyone. For scapegoating them out of their civil rights, that you did. This is what has been going on at the hands of the elite liberals, and it's every bit as despicable as the right wing asshats who blame everthing from finanical meltdowns to global warming on gays. If you cared about a society that played fair, you would not help these people who fancy themselves above other Americans because they train for marathons and still haven't known a sick day in their lives, but also feel they have every right to abuse their bodies running 26 miles inside of a couple of hours. There is an actual crime going on, and it's by the airlines which murder Americans, causing them to lose years off their lives every time they spend more than an hour strapped into one of their seats. Take your campaign not Congress against fat people and what dignity they still try to maintain, take it to Congress and the CDC against the airlines for the blood clots which they are responsible for creating.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: peacewithoutgod on September 14, 2015, 10:55:16 PM
Somebody is jumping to conclusions alright, and I didn't say that you posted for criminalizing for anyone. For scapegoating them out of their civil rights, that you did. This is what has been going on at the hands of the elite liberals, and it's every bit as despicable as the right wing asshats who blame everthing from finanical meltdowns to global warming on gays. If you cared about a society that played fair, you would not help these people who fancy themselves above other Americans because they train for marathons and still haven't known a sick day in their lives, but also feel they have every right to abuse their bodies running 26 miles inside of a couple of hours. There is an actual crime going on, and it's by the airlines which murder Americans, causing them to lose years off their lives every time they spend more than an hour strapped into one of their seats. Take your campaign not Congress against fat people and what dignity they still try to maintain, take it to Congress and the CDC against the airlines for the blood clots which they are responsible for creating.
What are you even talking about?

TomFoolery

Quote from: peacewithoutgod on September 14, 2015, 10:55:16 PM
Somebody is jumping to conclusions alright, and I didn't say that you posted for criminalizing for anyone. For scapegoating them out of their civil rights, that you did. This is what has been going on at the hands of the elite liberals, and it's every bit as despicable as the right wing asshats who blame everthing from finanical meltdowns to global warming on gays. If you cared about a society that played fair, you would not help these people who fancy themselves above other Americans because they train for marathons and still haven't known a sick day in their lives, but also feel they have every right to abuse their bodies running 26 miles inside of a couple of hours.
I'm liberal, and I've run a marathon? I don't fancy myself above people or blame fat people for ruining my life. I've been very blessed to be thin and healthy my entire life. I try not to take it for granted. I think people like the woman in the video certainly do.

Quote from: peacewithoutgod on September 14, 2015, 10:55:16 PMThere is an actual crime going on, and it's by the airlines which murder Americans, causing them to lose years off their lives every time they spend more than an hour strapped into one of their seats. Take your campaign not Congress against fat people and what dignity they still try to maintain, take it to Congress and the CDC against the airlines for the blood clots which they are responsible for creating.
Deep vein thrombosis can happen to anyone of any weight from sitting for too long. It could happen on a cross-country car ride. It can happen from lying in a hospital bed too long. Airlines can't make the distances between certain destinations shorter.

You seem very passionate about this topic, and I get it. Our society does a lot to promote unhealthy lifestyles while simultaneously making fun of the effects. It's shitty and it's a raw deal.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 14, 2015, 10:58:20 PM
What are you even talking about?
Really? You were talking about making bigger people buy extra seats, which you think is completely fair. I say it isn't, and it's a despicable policy because this is a scapegoat solution for a problem which airline executives created all by themselves. It was the airlines which decided to make their coach seats ever smaller than they were during the early 1980's, when the gravest terror anyone ever faced in an airport was the proselytizing cultists, in the skies was the food which was served, and nobody had to be carried off the plane (or die within a few weeks later) due to a lethal or life-altering thrombosis, which is caused when you are forced to sit in a cramped position for long periods of time. There were lots of big people then too, as I recall. It's American industries pitting Americans against other Americans to draw attention away from the fact that they created this problem, and maintain it for profit. People's lives are shortened when they have to spend long hours in unhealthy seating, and if this problem didn't exist then nobody would be caused any severe discomfort when they have to sit next to most fat people either. I'm asking you to stop and think before you go along with the evil scapegoat culture which is pervading our culture as greed makes the bottom 99% increasingly miserable, which the corporate executives on top know all too well will make it easier for them to turn us against each other. We need to stop letting them do this, so that we can again form a united front against their perverse greed, and don't believe it for even a second that the liberal Dems are feeding any less off our misery than the Repuglickans.

PickelledEggs

I am literally saying "pay for the amount of space you take up". And yes. I think that's fair. I am also saying that airlines have tiny seating though, so it sucks for both people involved in the seating arrangement.

It also seems like you are assuming some pretty outrageous things though... "Evil scapegoat culture?"  Really?

Anyway, I'm going to agree to disagree with you and bow out of this engagement with you.

CrucifyCindy

To those of you who are saying that is none of my business I have to say to you we are having a very serious health crisis within the US. When 1 out of 3 childern are either overwieght or obese it becomes a problem that everyone should be concerned about. It is a fucking epidemic that is hurting people. Kids are developing diseases that they shouldn't have because of poor nutrition that leads to obesity and then serious health problems that follow. To say it is none of our business is jsut rather callous especially when parents pass on their lifestyle chooses on to their kids. I know there is a very awful nutrition problem amongst the poor and they are heavy hit but we just can throw up our arm and accept that this scheme of things is acceptable. And frankly I do not give two tallywackers if you get offended if I say obesity is a problem.
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

Hydra009

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on September 15, 2015, 01:22:47 AM
To those of you who are saying that is none of my business I have to say to you we are having a very serious health crisis within the US. When 1 out of 3 childern are either overwieght or obese it becomes a problem that everyone should be concerned about. It is a fucking epidemic that is hurting people. Kids are developing diseases that they shouldn't have because of poor nutrition that leads to obesity and then serious health problems that follow.
I agree with all of that.

Quote from: CrucifyCindyI know there is a very awful nutrition problem amongst the poor and they are heavy hit but we just can throw up our arm and accept that this scheme of things is acceptable. And frankly I do not give two tallywackers if you get offended if I say obesity is a problem.
Johan said it earlier and it bears repeating now: 

Quote from: Johan on September 14, 2015, 05:52:28 AM
1. You seem to suggest that the only options are shaming or complete acceptance. Is there no grey area in between?
Maybe, there could be some alternative solution to rampant obesity than calling obese people smelly and gross on the internet.

drunkenshoe

A woman who identifies herself with barbie in her youtube icon is supposed to raise concerns about health issues and obesity in the US by making fun of fat people online?

:doh:
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

TomFoolery

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on September 15, 2015, 01:22:47 AM
To those of you who are saying that is none of my business I have to say to you we are having a very serious health crisis within the US.
I'm mostly advocating that it's none of your business why a particular person is fat. This woman is passing judgement and tries to say "It's not about people with health reasons for being overweight, it's about lazy people." as though she assumes it's her right to know why anyone she encounters is obese, but it seems like she's mostly just assuming everyone is obese because they are lazy.

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on September 15, 2015, 01:22:47 AMWhen 1 out of 3 childern are either overwieght or obese it becomes a problem that everyone should be concerned about. It is a fucking epidemic that is hurting people.
My step daughter lived with her mom for 9 years who fed her a diet of Coco Puffs and Mountain Dew. To this day, she still despises vegetables and will only eat sugary fruits like apples and grapes. A lot of parents buy these things for their kids because they're easy and they're heavily marketed to kids, but as I've also already said, sugary food is more addictive than drugs. Would you give your kids liquor to shut them up if it made them happy? Normal people would say no, but no one bats an eye at giving them candy bars.
http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml

Oh, it also does nothing to address the number of people who are overweight due to medication, like my step daughter. She lives with a permanent beer belly, and no amount of exercising is going to take that off. ADHD and antipsychotic drugs in particular are linked to weight gain. I suppose we could just take her off of them, but the last time we tried that, she was in the principal's office throwing picture frames at the school police officer.

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on September 15, 2015, 01:22:47 AMTo say it is none of our business is jsut rather callous especially when parents pass on their lifestyle chooses on to their kids. I know there is a very awful nutrition problem amongst the poor and they are heavy hit but we just can throw up our arm and accept that this scheme of things is acceptable. And frankly I do not give two tallywackers if you get offended if I say obesity is a problem.
I see it as parents passing on their addictions to kids. It started out as a lifestyle choice, but once it starts getting handed down, it's harder to combat.

No one is saying obesity is not a problem. It's a huge one, no pun intended. I'm also not advocating that we should just give up and call it acceptable. All I've been saying all along is the root causes of obesity are complex, and some skinny chick obnoxiously concern-trolling overweight people isn't going to help it. I have no studies to prove it, but I'm going to go off of personal experience and say yelling at total strangers you don't like and insulting them isn't going to get great results.