Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Fat Shaming

Started by CrucifyCindy, September 14, 2015, 12:44:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFoolery

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 14, 2015, 12:37:06 PM
Jaclyn Glenn for the win.

Yeah, the part about the airplane bothered me a lot too, for all the reasons she listed. She says "HE WAS FINE! HE WAS JUST FAT! MAKE BETTER CHOICES!" and then goes on a rant about how awful it was having to sit next to him, as though living in a world where having to interact with fat people is somehow worse than being fat? Why is it her place to judge him and assume he makes poor choices? It reminds me of people who insist that gay people should just act straight because it offends them when men wear tight pants, speak with a lisp, and wax their eyebrows because "MEN SHOULD JUST BE MEN! ACT LIKE IT, FAGS!"

I get that she has every right to speak her mind, but it doesn't mean that she should when all she's doing is hurling insults and sums it up by pretending to care about the very people she's bashing.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

AllPurposeAtheist

There's no pretence  of giving one rats ass about anyones health. She doesn't care and to think it's worthy of debating her stance is questionable at best, but extremely stupid at least.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Sal1981 on September 14, 2015, 10:16:47 AM
I really don't see the big deal. Sure, she's a bit stand-offish, but really it's just a small demeanor of "eat right fatties" (she doesn't actually say that) and "I'm only doing this because I want you people around longer". How is this considered fat shaming? It's poor advice giving, at best.
That's the impression I got too. I was only able to watch about half, because they keep paging me...  But if it keeps the same message as the first half, it's not as bad as people are saying it is.

People over-react and cry "insult" when things are more blunt than they are able to handle...  It can make them overlook the facts. Simple as that. It's actually not too different than a Christian saying that we're bigots for telling them how they're faith is based on nothing factual in some ways if you think about it... 
But let me get back on track and on topic...
Fact is, being fat isn't healthy, she's right about that. It's not nice to shame them for it, but it's still unhealthy.
It's possible she is just trying a harsh delivery to get views, but that doesn't take away from it being untrue. Her other video that people had a problem with was pretty on point too...  It was about people being offended.

Sent from your mom.

TomFoolery

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 14, 2015, 12:57:29 PM
That's the impression I got too. I was only able to watch about half, because they keep paging me...  But if it keeps the same message as the first half, it's not as bad as people are saying it is.

You should watch it all the way through, because it doesn't. She goes on to make fun of overweight kids, fat people on airplanes, and even makes a few racist comments trying to commiserate with "brown people" at the airport.

Basically, just because there is truth in the message doesn't mean people shouldn't be offended by her delivery style. You can speak the truth while being respectful.

Also a fun fact relating to this story, she was let go from a choreography job after this went public where she was supposed to shoot scenes for an anti-bullying dance film. Ironic. The director watched this video he said it made him "never want to see her again."
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Draconic Aiur

The girl on the video: You want to say I'm fat to my face bitch? Try making fun of fat people again and i'll kick your ass and if you run I can always shoot you.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: TomFoolery on September 14, 2015, 01:07:36 PM
You should watch it all the way through, because it doesn't. She goes on to make fun of overweight kids, fat people on airplanes, and even makes a few racist comments trying to commiserate with "brown people" at the airport.

Basically, just because there is truth in the message doesn't mean people shouldn't be offended by her delivery style. You can speak the truth while being respectful.

Also a fun fact relating to this story, she was let go from a choreography job after this went public where she was supposed to shoot scenes for an anti-bullying dance film. Ironic. The director watched this video he said it made him "never want to see her again."
Yeah I'll have to check out the rest of it...

In regards to her being let go....  I thought the more accurate thing is that she was being considered originally, but didn't actually have the position yet. And now, she is no longer being considered...  Not 100% on that, but I would double check...

Sent from your mom.

AllPurposeAtheist

Feel free to give the cunt credence if you want, but if you choose to defend her you definitely loose any credence with me. 
Click..asshole bitch not worth the time of day.
I did like the article on the guardian which basically said enjoy being in the club of young, slim and pretty while you can because someday you'll be kicked out of the club just for getting old.
"The 'Dear Fat People' video is tired, cruel and lazy â€" but I still fight for the woman who made it"

http://gu.com/p/4c7j4?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hijiri Byakuren

I'm a bit chubby, and I don't mind fat people for the most part. My only issue is if I walk onto a plane to find a fat guy in the seat next to mine, and part him is in my chair... and I'm not sure if it's a part I can sit on.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

PickelledEggs

I watched the whole video. I don't see what's so offensive. If I tell you that you smell like sausage, and you smell like sausage, it's not an insult, it's a description.

Sent from your mom.

TomFoolery

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 14, 2015, 05:53:59 PM
I watched the whole video. I don't see what's so offensive. If I tell you that you smell like sausage, and you smell like sausage, it's not an insult, it's a description.

So you feel we should "Shame people who have bad habits until they fucking stop?" The woman mocks a child on an airplane talking about how she pushed his fat with her hands and told him to control himself.

She says "If we offend you so much that you lose weight, I’m okay with that." She's ok with that? Why is it her place to make sweeping assumptions about a group of people and get them to change their behaviors? Is it a particularly great motivating factor to yell at anyone in a mocking tone from a position of superiority based largely on youth and genetics? Especially when it's to get total strangers to conform to your demands for how they should live?

The offensiveness isn't necessarily just in the text of the words she says. Most of it lies in the tone in which she speaks it. She claims she's speaking directly to fat people, but she's really just speaking to other thin people about fat people, and tries to act like she's being friendly. And she yells. And makes a lot of judgements. And it will get her a lot of attention, which is all anyone seems to care about anymore. Like Donald Trump.

This woman doesn't encourage good health, and if she does, she's doing it at someone else's expense for her own gain.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 14, 2015, 09:38:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVIbk7difVE

Here is the full video.

I'm not going to jump in with my 2 cents until I can watch the full video.... I have to head to work, so maybe I'll go to the bathroom and watch it.
Fat-shaming is shameful, but skank-asshole-shaming is a service to humanity.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: TomFoolery on September 14, 2015, 06:14:03 PM
So you feel we should "Shame people who have bad habits until they fucking stop?" The woman mocks a child on an airplane talking about how she pushed his fat with her hands and told him to control himself.

She says "If we offend you so much that you lose weight, I’m okay with that." She's ok with that? Why is it her place to make sweeping assumptions about a group of people and get them to change their behaviors? Is it a particularly great motivating factor to yell at anyone in a mocking tone from a position of superiority based largely on youth and genetics? Especially when it's to get total strangers to conform to your demands for how they should live?

The offensiveness isn't necessarily just in the text of the words she says. Most of it lies in the tone in which she speaks it. She claims she's speaking directly to fat people, but she's really just speaking to other thin people about fat people, and tries to act like she's being friendly. And she yells. And makes a lot of judgements. And it will get her a lot of attention, which is all anyone seems to care about anymore. Like Donald Trump.

This woman doesn't encourage good health, and if she does, she's doing it at someone else's expense for her own gain.
Don't put words in my mouth. I know that some people are overweight because they have a medical condition or are on medication that they need to be on. It's not all or most of the time that these things cause full-blown obesity, but it can and does happen. And she was pretty clear at the end of her video about that.

Hell, I was overweight for the entirety of when I was in school... from elementary school to a few years after college. I had manboobs and everything. No matter what I did, ate, didn't eat, or how physically active I was, I couldn't lose any weight. I wasn't obese, I was just overweight, but it still was impossible to lose any weight. I can't imagine how much harder it is for someone that is obese to lose weight. There is so much more work and it seems so much more discouraging. I have to hand it to the people that can lose the weight if they can.

The main thing I am saying with ^that^ is that it's not always just a lack of self control that keeps a person overweight, and I think she was pretty clear about that towards the end.

The kid in the airplane? that overlapped his seat in to hers? Lets talk about that for a second.

If someone is in an airplane,  and overlaps his/her seat in to the already small space and seat that you payed for and are obligated to sit for an extended period of time... which in an airplane can range from an hour to 12+ hours... that person should pay for two seats instead. That's inconsiderate. I don't blame her for being frustrated about that. I don't know if she actually said those things to the kid, but I can't blame her for shifting around, trying to not be squished by the person sitting next to her.

And she's not even demanding anything either. She is giving her views on the subject of this "body positive" movement... which quite honestly, the movement can be done a lot better, which if you listen to it again, is what she is saying.
I'm paraphrasing because I don't remember the exact words, but she said "if you want to be body positive, eat well and exercise" ... and that was the main point of the video.

Is there something she said that was untrue? Is heart failure not connected to obesity?
Here's a fact. -- Obesity is a problem in the U.S. -- So maybe she, being a youtube personality that is able to hit a wide audience, decided to broadcast a message that we need to try and tackle this problem.

If you are so offended by the way something is said that you deny the merit of what is said, you should probably rethink how you take in information. Not everything has to be "politically correct" because some people decide to take offense to anything and everything.

Sal1981

She's (Nicole Arbour) quite a shitty ambassador for "body positive" or whatever that movement is, I think we can agree on that. I'm starting to think this is a few disparate stabs at overweight people sprinkled with a few "good" advice to cloak her disgust of fatties, after I watched Jaclynn Glenn's response vid.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on September 14, 2015, 12:44:41 AM
There has been some contaversy on YouTubes about certain people maiking fat shaming videos. These people are being called out and ironically shamed for producing fat shaming videos. While I believe fat shaming is wrong, I also believe that telling people that they should just accept a unhealthy lifestyle is just as bad. The purveyors of fat-acceptance  just do not understand that fat acceptance is not doing anyone any good. They are helping to kill people who are living unhealthy lifestyles just as Pro-Ana people are killing those who are anorexic. Shaming people is wrong but so is this view that we just have to accept people killing themselves with whatever eating disorder they have and celebrate it. No it is not good to eat yourself into death and it is not right to starve yourself to death either. I say we should not shame or celebrate these things but encourage health. That is the responsible and most humane thing to do. I just do not understand what fat shamers or fat acceptance people are doing because it is not going to do any good just like Pro-Ana people are just not doing any good. If someone can expalain the merits of fat-shaming or fat-acceptance or Pro-Ana please do because I see no merits.
I don't believe it is anybody else's business to tell fat people anything, not unless you are their doctor and need to inform them of higher blood pressure, cholesteral, heart disease or diabetes. There's something very important which the ectomorphic skanks and the muscle-headed mesomorphs don't understand about people who carry more fat than muscle - these are the people who don't die when there is an inconsistent food supply, which was the state of things for most of the pre-agricultural, foraging humans! We're always going to carry more fat than you when we're healthy, and whether or not we choose to eat and store more at the expense of other activities is none of your skinny-assed business. Most of us do not in fact consume any more food than you do - yeah, we've seen how you eat, all so you can pointlessly show off your athleticism, and then you have to eat a whole lot more to do that again. You aren't endomorphic, so you don't understand how life is for one of us, so you need to stop criticising people who you know nothing of! You need to back away from your keyboards, NOW, and go on back to your downhill mountain biking. Now look who engages in risky behavior - why that's just about anybody who participates in any athletics other than croquet!
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 14, 2015, 07:58:01 PM
Don't put words in my mouth. I know that some people are overweight because they have a medical condition or are on medication that they need to be on. It's not all or most of the time that these things cause full-blown obesity, but it can and does happen. And she was pretty clear at the end of her video about that.

Hell, I was overweight for the entirety of when I was in school... from elementary school to a few years after college. I had manboobs and everything. No matter what I did, ate, didn't eat, or how physically active I was, I couldn't lose any weight. I wasn't obese, I was just overweight, but it still was impossible to lose any weight. I can't imagine how much harder it is for someone that is obese to lose weight. There is so much more work and it seems so much more discouraging. I have to hand it to the people that can lose the weight if they can.

The main thing I am saying with ^that^ is that it's not always just a lack of self control that keeps a person overweight, and I think she was pretty clear about that towards the end.

The kid in the airplane? that overlapped his seat in to hers? Lets talk about that for a second.

If someone is in an airplane,  and overlaps his/her seat in to the already small space and seat that you payed for and are obligated to sit for an extended period of time... which in an airplane can range from an hour to 12+ hours... that person should pay for two seats instead. That's inconsiderate. I don't blame her for being frustrated about that. I don't know if she actually said those things to the kid, but I can't blame her for shifting around, trying to not be squished by the person sitting next to her.

And she's not even demanding anything either. She is giving her views on the subject of this "body positive" movement... which quite honestly, the movement can be done a lot better, which if you listen to it again, is what she is saying.
I'm paraphrasing because I don't remember the exact words, but she said "if you want to be body positive, eat well and exercise" ... and that was the main point of the video.

Is there something she said that was untrue? Is heart failure not connected to obesity?
Here's a fact. -- Obesity is a problem in the U.S. -- So maybe she, being a youtube personality that is able to hit a wide audience, decided to broadcast a message that we need to try and tackle this problem.

If you are so offended by the way something is said that you deny the merit of what is said, you should probably rethink how you take in information. Not everything has to be "politically correct" because some people decide to take offense to anything and everything.
You must be one of those people who fly first-class all the time. Bet you never experienced for yourself just how ridiculously midget-sized are the seats which most of us have to settle for. Nobody should be paying for extra seats just because the airlines refuse to accommodate normal-sized humans in a manner which is healthy in any way for anyone. Stop being such weasel-cowards and going after scape-goats, just because you haven't the balls to stand against the airline juggernaut and evil TSA!

Having a wide ass is not always by choice, and it isn't always by fat either. I'm only 6' tall, but it would be impossible for me to have a waste size lower than 34" and not be dead! Those are the pants I was barely able to pull on when in high school, and my doctor was always telling me I needed to put weight on.