News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Fat Shaming

Started by CrucifyCindy, September 14, 2015, 12:44:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrucifyCindy

There has been some contaversy on YouTubes about certain people maiking fat shaming videos. These people are being called out and ironically shamed for producing fat shaming videos. While I believe fat shaming is wrong, I also believe that telling people that they should just accept a unhealthy lifestyle is just as bad. The purveyors of fat-acceptance  just do not understand that fat acceptance is not doing anyone any good. They are helping to kill people who are living unhealthy lifestyles just as Pro-Ana people are killing those who are anorexic. Shaming people is wrong but so is this view that we just have to accept people killing themselves with whatever eating disorder they have and celebrate it. No it is not good to eat yourself into death and it is not right to starve yourself to death either. I say we should not shame or celebrate these things but encourage health. That is the responsible and most humane thing to do. I just do not understand what fat shamers or fat acceptance people are doing because it is not going to do any good just like Pro-Ana people are just not doing any good. If someone can expalain the merits of fat-shaming or fat-acceptance or Pro-Ana please do because I see no merits.
“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

PickelledEggs

What are some of the links?

CrucifyCindy

“Rational thought is a failed experiment and should be phased out.”
 William S. Burroughs

حسن اÙ,,صباح - Ù,,يس هناك Ù...ا هو صحيح ØŒ ÙƒÙ,, شيء Ù...سÙ...وح به

Baruch

Shame.  Ideal body shape is based on health, not esthetics, right?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

I saw Jaclyn Glenn talking about that plastic barbie bitch.

All I kept thinking was, do I want to listen to some plastic Barbie bitch, or do I want to look at pictures of hot big hairy bears?

[spoiler]

Mmmhmm, I'd sooner have someone like that to cuddle with, then anything Barbie Bitch has in mind ^^[/spoiler]

Now I agree eating healthy and exercise is a good thing, I also see these fat shaming people just shallow, as I've seen people like this that call anyone who isn't anorexic as fat, so these people are not ones you want "advise" from
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Johan

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on September 14, 2015, 12:44:41 AM
While I believe fat shaming is wrong, I also believe that telling people that they should just accept a unhealthy lifestyle is just as bad.
1. You seem to suggest that the only options are shaming or complete acceptance. Is there no grey area in between?
2. What I do with my body is none of your business and I could give a fuck what you think about it. So who am I to inject my opinion on other complete strangers about what they do with their bodies? That doesn't mean I accept what they do nor condemn it. It just means its none of my fucking business.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

doorknob

Quote from: CrucifyCindy on September 14, 2015, 12:44:41 AM
There has been some contaversy on YouTubes about certain people maiking fat shaming videos. These people are being called out and ironically shamed for producing fat shaming videos. While I believe fat shaming is wrong, I also believe that telling people that they should just accept a unhealthy lifestyle is just as bad. The purveyors of fat-acceptance  just do not understand that fat acceptance is not doing anyone any good. They are helping to kill people who are living unhealthy lifestyles just as Pro-Ana people are killing those who are anorexic. Shaming people is wrong but so is this view that we just have to accept people killing themselves with whatever eating disorder they have and celebrate it. No it is not good to eat yourself into death and it is not right to starve yourself to death either. I say we should not shame or celebrate these things but encourage health. That is the responsible and most humane thing to do. I just do not understand what fat shamers or fat acceptance people are doing because it is not going to do any good just like Pro-Ana people are just not doing any good. If someone can expalain the merits of fat-shaming or fat-acceptance or Pro-Ana please do because I see no merits.

I feel like this comment is fat shaming because not all fat people eat unhealthy there is such a thing as genetic obesity (I know because I live with it). I've also known some skinny people who eat what ever the fuck they want and then go ahead and proceed to tell fat people they have no self control. Not every one can help that they are fat. Just like not every one can help that they are skinny. On the flip side I know another some one that desperately tries to gain weight by eating as much as they can and don't gain a lb. She seriously does look sickly because of how under weight she is. So I believe genetics has a huge part in a persons weight.

Munch

Quote from: doorknob on September 14, 2015, 07:57:41 AM
I feel like this comment is fat shaming because not all fat people eat unhealthy there is such a thing as genetic obesity (I know because I live with it). I've also known some skinny people who eat what ever the fuck they want and then go ahead and proceed to tell fat people they have no self control. Not every one can help that they are fat. Just like not every one can help that they are skinny. On the flip side I know another some one that desperately tries to gain weight by eating as much as they can and don't gain a lb. She seriously does look sickly because of how under weight she is. So I believe genetics has a huge part in a persons weight.

Pretty much. I think even Jaclyn said she eats junk food and doesn't do much, but she remains thin, because its in her genetics. When it comes to diets, I have the same kind of diet my brother does, we both eat healthy and don't skip on meals, and don't really snack inbetween. He use to exercise but doesn't anyone, because of work and home life, and drives around instead of walking since his wife also got a car.
He remains the same shape he always has, he doesn't have time to work out, and spends his free time either relaxed at home or playing with his kids.

I figured out, that I do more walking now then my brother does, since I don't own a car or drive. I eat the same kinds of foods. And yet I remain a big guy, just say I need XXXL pants, while my brother can fit into a M size pair of jeans.

I'm diabetic, and even since I was a child, I have had weight problems, because of my condition. I understand better then anyone the struggle of having a weight issue that doesn't come from not doing enough to lose it, but unable to. But of course you have barbie bitches like her in the video who don't think this is a thing, they think fat just means lazy, inactive, or unwilling to do something about it.

A friend told me online once, his brother had the same problem, same diabeties type as me, and despite all the exercise and dieting he tried, the weight just came back on. In the end, he let it, because he couldn't do enough to fight it.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Sal1981

I used to weigh more than I do now, but before I lost the extra kilos I had tried to exercise. I only managed to make a small difference and I mostly just exchanged fat for muscle, but what really made me lose the extra kilos was diet more than exercise. Just doing something cheap as using smaller dinner plates and some rough calorie calculating made a difference. I still would like to lose another 10kg, but I'm OK at the weight I'm at now.

Hardest part was cutting down on the sugar and carbs.

---

Anyways, any form of "shaming", to me, seems like you're interfering with other people's business. I did have a difference of opinion in my own head when it was fat shaming compared to anorexic shaming, dunno why exactly, but to me it seems anorexic shaming is more "appropriate" than fat shaming.  It's just that, that overeating you're consuming food which might be better in someone else's mouth, hence the difference in shaming, in my view, but that's a disparity between food distribution in the world, not individual food intake. I think that as long as you're sticking to the facts, like overweight likely leads to diabetes and anorexia to stuff like calcium deficiency, I don't mind someone sharing facts with me; if I should get offended then it seems more of a problem with me than someone telling me some facts about food and health or whatever, as long as they're not using it as some sort of measuring stick of how "better" they are, being healthy or some stupid shit. I know bloody well why -I- am overweight, but I have no idea why someone else is overweight other than they consumed more energy than they spent. You simply don't know how come someone is overweight until you get to know the person.

TomFoolery

I'm in good shape. I run and lift weights and eat right.

However, before I joined the Army and adopted a healthy lifestyle, I was "skinny fat." I weighed 102 pounds and ate a lot pizza and drank a lot of soda. The only thing separating me from overweight people was a combination of age and genetics.

So what good is shaming anyone in any form? Slut shaming, fat shaming, etc.? It's just a way of telling the world how you feel about other people, and most of the time, no one fucking gives a shit. The girl in the video posted, she just comes across as mean. Like, who asked for her opinion on other people's weight?
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

AllPurposeAtheist

The video in question isn't even fat shaming. It's a very lame attempt at humor by a woman I wouldn't want to spend five minutes with without first slapping till my hands bleed. Some people might find it funny and those that do might think that the cast from Survivor actually survived something. Hint: They don't.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PickelledEggs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVIbk7difVE

Here is the full video.

I'm not going to jump in with my 2 cents until I can watch the full video.... I have to head to work, so maybe I'll go to the bathroom and watch it.

Sal1981

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 14, 2015, 09:38:58 AM
[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVIbk7difVE[/spoiler]

Here is the full video.

I'm not going to jump in with my 2 cents until I can watch the full video.... I have to head to work, so maybe I'll go to the bathroom and watch it.
I really don't see the big deal. Sure, she's a bit stand-offish, but really it's just a small demeanor of "eat right fatties" (she doesn't actually say that) and "I'm only doing this because I want you people around longer". How is this considered fat shaming? It's poor advice giving, at best.

TomFoolery

Quote from: Sal1981 on September 14, 2015, 10:16:47 AM
Sure, she's a bit stand-offish, but really it's just a small demeanor of "eat right fatties" (she doesn't actually say that) and "I'm only doing this because I want you people around longer". How is this considered fat shaming?

Because of the shitty delivery method with the attitude of bitchy superiority.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Hydra009