MUN prof refuses to wear device for hearing disabled student, cites religious re

Started by Termin, September 17, 2015, 11:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Termin

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/mun-prof-refuses-wear-device-191259556.html

A Memorial University student with a hearing disability is upset that one of his professors refused to wear a sound-transmitting device last week during a lecture, and he said she told him it was because of religious reasons.

William Sears, 20, says Ranee Panjabi would not wear an FM transmitter system that he needs to hear lectures at the school in St. John's.

"I've never experienced an instructor refusing to wear the FM, both at the university and throughout public school," said Sears, a third-year history major.

"When she said she would not wear the FM system, it was effectively saying to me that 'I will not teach you' â€" because I need that FM system in order to hear the instructor."

CBC News reached out to Memorial University for a response to the complaint, and was told the university has worked with the student to reach "an acceptable accommodation," but could not comment further due to privacy concerns.

Panjabi has not responded to CBC's requests for an interview.

Sears was looking forward to the History of Espionage course being taught by Panjabi, but had to switch to a different course after she refused to wear the device.

He said Panjabi told him that a similar incident happened about 20 years earlier and it had been resolved that she wasn't required to wear the device.

"She said she had some sort of agreement with the Blundon Centre or with the university saying she wouldn't have to wear an FM system because of religious reasons," he said.

"I told her that was unacceptable to me, and as I gathered up my things and started to leave the classroom, Dr. Panjabi asked for my name so that she could strike it from the attendance list."

Sears was so shocked from what he heard that he had to go home before attending his last class of the day.

"When I got home, I immediately dropped Dr. Panjabi's course," said Sears.

"I was very upsetting, especially later in the day. I wanted to tell my dad because I knew he would try and help me."

History of refusing to wear similar devices

The incident last week is not the first time Panjabi has caused a controversy by not wearing an FM transmitter.

In 1996, CBC News reported that MUN sided with a student who filed a similar complaint against Panjabi for refusing to wear one based on religious reasons.

Panjabi was also reprimanded in 1985 for a similar complaint.

While in each of those cases Memorial University sided with the students, so far the Sears family has been given no clear solution.

Sears's father, Bill Sears, told CBC Radio he is not satisfied with what he has heard from both MUN and the university's centre for disabilities.

"All we know is that it's going through the channels in there, but we have had no feedback," he said.

"The Blundon Centre said they would work with the professor if William really wanted to stay in class, to come up with compromise â€" but to me, the compromise is that she wears the FM system. I don't get the idea of her refusing."

Bill Sears said he has been in touch with the Canadian Hard of Hearing Association and the Newfoundland and Labrador Human Rights Commission, which are both looking into the matter.

He said knowing what his son has had to go through in his life with regards to his hearing problems, only to face this now in what is supposed to be a place of higher learning, is deeply disturbing.

"To see him denied education is an absolute travesty. At university, to run into this situation â€" it blows my mind," he said.

"I'd love to see where it is written that you can't wear a microphone because of religion."

In the meantime, all William can do is attend a different class, and hope that he and his father can get something done to prevent something similar from happening to someone else down the road.

"I'm disappointed that so far it seems like the university isn't really doing anything to curtail this problem and make sure it won't happen again," he said.

"Unless they were to offer that espionage course in a different term with a different professor, there would be one course I wanted to do that I was not able to do."
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

stromboli

Silly people. Teachers are there to earn a salary. Go out of their way for the students? Nah.

Hakurei Reimu

Would she be adverse to using a hand-held microphone? Seems like an acceptable compromise. How about a megaphone? You know, the simple cone thing, not the electrified one?
Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

peacewithoutgod

Was Ned Ludd ever employed as a univeristy professor? If not, then don't know why this one should be!
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

ApostateLois

What's the difference between wearing an FM device and a microphone? They're both electrical. Does the professor wear glasses or a hearing aid? Does she drive a car, use a computer, listen to the radio, watch TV, keep her food in a refrigerator? I don't understand her reasoning at all. If God hates FM devices for the hearing-impaired, why does he not hate the million or so other electric/electronic gadgets that we use all the time? Some religious people are so stupid, I want to slap them very hard across the mouth.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

TomFoolery

What religion won't allow people to wear an FM device or a microphone? Like, what could possibly be the religious basis? A religion that thinks taking a photograph of someone steals their "essence" makes more sense.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Shiranu

The name is Sikh, but I don't know of this ever having been an issue for Sikhs. Perhaps he is part of a wacky branch. Maybe he is just an asshole.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Shiranu on September 24, 2015, 10:14:12 PM
The name is Sikh, but I don't know of this ever having been an issue for Sikhs. Perhaps he she is part of a wacky branch. Maybe he she is just an asshole a cunt.

FIFY