News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Started by josephpalazzo, September 12, 2015, 11:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

Personally, I don't like the "Likes" button, no pun intended. Since this is a forum for discussion, I prefer that someone would post and say, "I like your post for the following reasons..." rather than press a button, which is too easy to do. Secondly, it gives too much clout to Stromboli, (just kiddin'), however, it does give the appearance that some people are being rewarded (yes, I'm jealous) and, more importantly,  we don't know why. We should encourage open discussion/controversy, not likeability.

Just my 2¢.

What's yours?

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

stromboli

I put no because I didn't institute the like button and the fact that I have more likes than anyone is embarrassing, frankly. I think it is an unfair reference to the quality of posters. Clout? News to me.

drunkenshoe

My main objection is that 'like' button is used in different ways than 'liking' the idea in the post.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: stromboli on September 12, 2015, 11:48:40 AM
I put no because I didn't institute the like button and the fact that I have more likes than anyone is embarrassing, frankly. I think it is an unfair reference to the quality of posters. Clout? News to me.

That's because you are an old white man 'with a beard' and mainstream, sweety.  :dance:

Shiranu

I like it in that I mostly post from my phone nowadays, and don't have time to Swype a paragraph response as to why I agree with someone. Just this has taken way too long to feel worth it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 12, 2015, 11:52:30 AM
My main objection is that 'like' button is used in different ways than 'liking' the idea in the post.
Much agreed, this is a problem, and it's really the sort of schoolyard bullshit which a discussion forum can do without. People tend to "Like" a post because they like the source of it, who frequently "Like"s their own posts. If you really like what someone is saying, you should be able to say so without embarrassing yourself. I also tire of the scorecard being always in your face - whether or not you have just said something brilliant or stupid, no numbers from a childish popularity contest should have any bearing on how people respond.
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

jonb

I must admit I quite like likes, I have been on forums with and without them. The problem is that without them people do not tend to post I agree, good post etc and then posting can feel like a lonely business especially for someone new to a forum. Even if people did post just to say they liked a post then we would be faced with a forum with endless posts saying-

Quote^THIS

Which I would not find pleasing

However having said that I strongly dislike 'likes' being recorded which sets up a point scoring system under a persons name, this is made even worse here because obviously the likes showing are from some recent point in time.
Also on a personal note which I think may apply to Baruch as-well, is that I will like a post because I think it might be very well said or a strong argument not just because I am in total agreement with it.   When there is point scoring others can easily get the impression this is mere -point whoring.

So I would very much like the point recording part of the system removed if that is possible.

stromboli

Quote from: peacewithoutgod on September 12, 2015, 12:16:56 PM
Much agreed, this is a problem, and it's really the sort of schoolyard bullshit which a discussion forum can do without. People tend to "Like" a post because they like the source of it, who frequently "Like"s their own posts. If you really like what someone is saying, you should be able to say so without embarrassing yourself. I also tire of the scorecard being always in your face - whether or not you have just said something brilliant or stupid, no numbers from a childish popularity contest should have any bearing on how people respond.

I find myself feeling obligated when someone likes me to like them back, which is stupid. Get rid of it.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: josephpalazzo on September 12, 2015, 11:39:27 AM
Personally, I don't like the "Likes" button, no pun intended. Since this is a forum for discussion, I prefer that someone would post and say, "I like your post for the following reasons..." rather than press a button, which is too easy to do. Secondly, it gives too much clout to Stromboli, (just kiddin'), however, it does give the appearance that some people are being rewarded (yes, I'm jealous) and, more importantly,  we don't know why. We should encourage open discussion/controversy, not likeability.

Just my 2¢.

What's yours?
I will "like"  a post sometimes to show that I saw a post, and not only to or even necessarily because I "liked" it... 

A good point is a good point even if it's not a popular or likable one.

People shouldn't say things simply to be liked or rewarded; they should be honest...  But at the same time there isn't anything wrong with getting some acknowledge for when  something is liked or a good point.

Sent from your mom.

jonb

Quote from: stromboli on September 12, 2015, 12:27:08 PM
I find myself feeling obligated when someone likes me to like them back, which is stupid. Get rid of it.

Smiley face type thing!

PickelledEggs

Quote from: stromboli on September 12, 2015, 12:27:08 PM
Sounds like a personal problem...

No one is forcing you to do anything. Some people like the feature. I don't think it's fair for those people to remove it based on a few vocal people that don't like it or feel obligated and use it, then feel bad about using the button because they have a poor sense of self control.

Sent from your mom.

GrinningYMIR

I am a fan of the like button for reasons said above, when I see a very good post or just a funny picture that I like, I will like it. You can't expect or request a full fledged paragraph for every post, at that point people will lose interest and that defeats the purpose entirely

a like is a little acknowledgment that your post was appreciated without a full fledged "YO THAT POST WAS THE SHIT MAN, HERE ARE MY REASONS AS TO WHY THAT POST WAS THE SHIT"

Keep it
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

drunkenshoe

Quote from: PickelledEggs on September 12, 2015, 12:49:45 PM
I will "like"  a post sometimes to show that I saw a post, and not only to or even necessarily because I "liked" it... 

A good point is a good point even if it's not a popular or likable one.

People shouldn't say things simply to be liked or rewarded; they should be honest...  But at the same time there isn't anything wrong with getting some acknowledge for when  something is liked or a good point.

Sent from your mom.

Your position is different. You are a mod. Honetly, I haven't seen you exploiting the like button in an argument you are having about your personal opinions. You do that when there is a conflict as far as I see which is to prevent something going forward to a worse situation. To send a message.

I wasn't talking about that. I am talking about people that I know very well that don't read most posts longer than 5 lines, but liking posts of some other posters regulary, because they do not like the poster at the other 'side'. Mostly, it is very obvious to anyone who pays attention, because you can easily see that they have no idea what the conversation is about from what  they write. They repeat something you wrote 4 posts ago to you if they get in any conversation as if they are breaking something new to the thread.   

PickelledEggs

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 12, 2015, 01:20:13 PM
Your position is different. You are a mod. Honetly, I haven't seen you exploiting the like button in an argument you are having about your personal opinions. You do that when there is a conflict as far as I see which is to prevent something going forward to a worse situation. To send a message.

I wasn't talking about that. I am talking about people that I know very well that don't read most posts longer than 5 lines, but liking posts of some other posters regulary, because they do not like the poster at the other 'side'. Mostly, it is very obvious to anyone who pays attention, because you can easily see that they have no idea what the conversation is about from what  they write. They repeat something you wrote 4 posts ago to you if they get in any conversation as if they are breaking something new to the thread.
I'm pretty sure I liked posts when I didn't want or feel like quoting them before a I was a mod. Sometimes it was because I was just lazy and didn't want to type something and other times because there wasn't anything to add because the post was a good point...  And other times because anything I would say would be redundant and just cluttering the thread.

I like likes for those reasons and I liked them because of that before I was a mod.

Sent from your mom.