This Is The Shit Happening where I Live

Started by stromboli, September 11, 2015, 01:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

When Jesus asked the young wealthy guy the same ... the young wealthy guy turned him down too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

stromboli

In the case of Utah the population is Mormon, which if you don't dwell among them or have been a member, is a little hard to describe or relate to. Sort of fundie xtians bent a little differently. For decades they preached food storage and get ready for the apocalypse, based on prophecies from J. Smith that the last days would be a gathering in Zion- Zion being Jackson County, Missouri. In the 70's this was more stridently emphasized.

About 1-2 times per generation this seems to happen. All of this is based on the engendered last day paranoia of the early days of the church when they had to cross the prairie and then later converts to the church came to Utah by way of handcarts, because the church- courtesy of my ancestor, Brigham Young- was too cheap to buy wagons instead of hand carts. Hundreds died in the process, "martyrs to the cause" yada yada. So Brigham gets a pass from the church and today they celebrate the martyrs.

Even recently had a group of the faithful recreate the act by reenacting the handcart thing. Never ceases to amaze me how much you can manipulate people.

Anyhow, if you see something in the paper about a temple going up in Jackson County Missouri it is officially the last days. Strangely enough, the church seems to be studiously avoiding that particular location.

Baruch

There were Mormons who didn't agree with Brigham Young ... thought he was a tyrant who got away with stuff after Joseph Smith was lynched, that wasn't ... democratic amongst the Mormon elders.  So there are several final temples in Missouri, right?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.