Muslim doctors refusing to treat women, far right outraged

Started by Ace101, September 09, 2015, 06:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace101

Old story, but in light of the recent "Kim Davis" outrage I find this very ironic.

This right-wing article was outraged over the fact that Muslim medical students allegedly refusing to treat female patients under the guise of "religious freedom". Yet it's many of the same far-righters who are now clamoring for Christians to be allowed special privileges to discriminate.

Don't see what's so complicated about this idea - if your religion doesn't allow you to perform the duties of your job, how about you choose a different job instead of claiming that not being granted special rights that no one else gets = "discrimination"?

Where does this nonsense end anyway? Does a Jehovah's Witness doctor have a "right" to deny blood transfusion to a patient in ICU under "religious freedom"? Does a Mennonite have a right to enlist as a Navy SEAL but not actually participate in combat? Does an Islamic fundamentalist have a right to beat his wife, or perform an "honor killing" and claim it's his 1st Amendment right?

A recent article published in the Journal of Medical Ethics grappled with that question in the context of male Muslim medical students refusing to learn how to examine females because they believe it is wrong to touch women to whom they are not married or related. The article arguesâ€"persuasively in my viewâ€"that medical conscience should not extend this far because it would result in future physicians lacking an “essential competency”

http://www.frontpagemag.com/point/147088/muslim-medical-students-refusing-learn-how-treat-daniel-greenfield

TomFoolery

Quote from: Ace101 on September 09, 2015, 06:49:20 PM
Where does this nonsense end anyway? Does a Jehovah's Witness doctor have a "right" to deny blood transfusion to a patient in ICU under "religious freedom"? Does an Islamic fundamentalist have a right to beat his wife, or perform an "honor killing" and claim it's his 1st Amendment right?

Of course not. This whole religious freedom movement is just an extension of the "I'm special" agenda.

It's like speeding. Anyone going slower than you is an dimwit and anyone going faster than you is a maniac. So too is Christianity, and Islam, and almost all religions. Anyone drinking less Koolaid is a fake, anyone drinking more Koolaid is a zealot, and anyone drinking a different flavor of Koolaid is a heathen.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?