News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

HOLY SMOKE!!

Started by Gerard, March 13, 2013, 12:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: "Gerard"Jorge Mario Bergoglio. From Argentina. His parents were Italian. He will be known as Francis I. Never heard of him before..

Gerard
Yeah.  Apparently, he wasn't even on the top 15 most likely to be elected list. NPR's vatican correspondent was baffled.  She couldn't even think of anything to say about him.  It was an awkward moment in NPR journalism.  The correspondent kept trying to hand the coverage back to the host anchor, but he kept asking her questions, none of which she could answer. :-D

SGOS

Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"
Quote from: "Brian37"SO THE FUCK WHAT!

As a former Catholic it does not matter how "pretty" the superstition is, you are not dealing with reality here. You are dealing with adults in a delusional case of "lets pretend". The ancient Egyptians were full of adults too, but that did not make the sun a god.

Because as irrelevant as it is in terms of spirituality and the afterlife....
Hold on here.  This is the Pope you're talking about.  People all over the world love him and look up to him.  They wait for his words.  He is the supreme authority and has the final say on all the bullshit.

Brian37

The "Conclave" is nothing more than a comic book fan club selecting a new president, while blowing smoke up everyone's ass.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Gerard

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "WitchSabrina"
Quote from: "Gerard"That bird is still sitting there..... Perhaps he should be the new pope. To please the GULLible.....

hmmm.

Gerard

:rollin:

that's pathetic
I agree.  We need to vote on a new forum administrator, someone who can take the job seriously.

Good idea! May I suggest we hold a conclave?

Gerard

Gerard

Quote from: "Gerard"Jorge Mario Bergoglio. From Argentina. His parents were Italian. He will be known as Francis I. Never heard of him before..

Gerard
Yeah.  Apparently, he wasn't even on the top 15 most likely to be elected list. NPR's vatican correspondent was baffled.  She couldn't even think of anything to say about him.  It was an awkward moment in NPR journalism.  The correspondent kept trying to hand the coverage back to the host anchor, but he kept asking her questions, none of which she could answer. :-D

The lady on Dutch tv knew exactly who he was and told us so! Turns out he came in second last time around when Benedict XVI was chosen....

Gerard

C172

Donna Brazile looks like she used the papal chimney to blowdry her hair.

aitm

I just congrats my catlic friends on FB and reminded them that the same god who approved Obama approved the new poop,,,,awaiting the cheers any second now!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SvZurich

Quote from: "aitm"I just congrats my catlic friends on FB and reminded them that the same god who approved Obama approved the new poop,,,,awaiting the cheers any second now!
:popcorn:
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

BarkAtTheMoon

Gerard

That's interesting cause I saw an article yesterday that said the unofficial scuttlebutt around the Vatican said he came in second to Palpatine in the vote last conclave.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

SGOS

Quote from: "BarkAtTheMoon"
Quote from: "SGOS"Yeah.  Apparently, he wasn't even on the top 15 most likely to be elected list. NPR's vatican correspondent was baffled.  She couldn't even think of anything to say about him.  It was an awkward moment in NPR journalism.  The correspondent kept trying to hand the coverage back to the host anchor, but he kept asking her questions, none of which she could answer. :-D

That's interesting cause I saw an article yesterday that said the unofficial scuttlebutt around the Vatican said he came in second to Palpatine in the vote last conclave.
That was the one thing the NPR correspondent knew about him, and at the time, I wondered why she had not collected more information on him if she knew he was the runner up at the last conclave.  She must have spent her time brushing up on the top 15.  Or maybe she didn't brush up at all.  And what expert or talking head decides who the top 15 are anyway?  Owing to the closely guarded secrecy of the process, who would know anything beforehand?

With several days of media hype, which extended even to NPR (it's the only time I can remember NPR hyping anything so out of proportion beforehand), there seemed to be this breathless wonderment that pervaded the whole thing.  What came across was not so much who the Pope was, but that white smoke came out the chimney and... wonder of wonders... we have a Pope!  WTF?  Did they think maybe we wouldn't have a Pope?

But the excitement over the last week was bizarre to an extreme.  They treated the event like a second coming of Christ, which would also be silly, of course.  But so much palaver over a pointless event like appointing a new head of a cult that worships an imaginary god, and everyone goes nuts.  It's really weird when an NPR correspondent is speechless and breathless.

They interviewed people in St. Peter's Square, hand picked I supposed for their enthusiasm, and I thought it would be fun to be there and be asked by a correspondent why I traveled to Rome for this event.  I could say, "I always wanted to spend a huge sum of money to do one utterly pointless thing in my life, and I thought there would never be a better chance than this.   Cross one off my bucket list!"

leo

Nothing will change with the new pope . More of the same shit .
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Gerard

Quote from: "BarkAtTheMoon"

Gerard

Yes.... that's what I hear too. Doesn't that mean that some cardinal leaked? (Or some journalist just made stuff up?)

Gerard

stromboli

The old Pope done gone up in smoke
It's black, its black its white!!!!
And all the them stupid cat-o-licks
stood in the rain all night

with bated breath awaitin'
which old homophobe will come
to spew the same old rhetoric
from beneath St. Peter's dome.

to be the exalted leader
of a billion blank empty minds
while happily taking their money
and humping their kids behinds

But don't worry, more dirt will follow
so allay your worries and fears
they been sweeping it under the rug
for 700 years.

You can act all benign and shit
but don't you fear, my friend
the dirt is just too deep
It'll leak out in the end.

SGOS

Quote from: "Gerard"
Quote from: "BarkAtTheMoon"That's interesting cause I saw an article yesterday that said the unofficial scuttlebutt around the Vatican said he came in second to Palpatine in the vote last conclave.

Yes.... that's what I hear too. Doesn't that mean that some cardinal leaked? (Or some journalist just made stuff up?)

Gerard
You would think so, but the burning of the votes symbolizes the holy secrecy of the event.  Of course that's not going to stop some disgruntled cardinal from blabbing it to someone.  In the end, I suspect making a big deal out of the secrecy, real or imagined, just adds more to the hype.  Oh my, a new Pope has emerged.  He must be sooo holy, because the whole process is sooo magically secret; Whoo hoo!  And they notify everyone with a smoke signal, just like man did in ancient times.  A text message, tweet, or a public announcement is just so banal.  An event like this requires fire and smoke.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "stromboli"The old Pope done gone up in smoke
It's black, its black its white!!!!
And all the them stupid cat-o-licks
stood in the rain all night

with bated breath awaitin'
which old homophobe will come
to spew the same old rhetoric
from beneath St. Peter's dome.

to be the exalted leader
of a billion blank empty minds
while happily taking their money
and humping their kids behinds

But don't worry, more dirt will follow
so allay your worries and fears
they been sweeping it under the rug
for 700 years.

You can act all benign and shit
but don't you fear, my friend
the dirt is just too deep
It'll leak out in the end.

=D>
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.