News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

I'm confused

Started by widdershins, August 26, 2015, 03:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

widdershins

I just did a little thinking and a few calculations and I'm a bit baffled.  There were 37 million Ashley Madison accounts exposed.  By 2014 records there were only 60 million married couples in America.  That means that if someone asked you to guess whether one or both people in any given marriage was cheating you could get way better than 50% by just answering "Yes" every time, based JUST on how many users there were.  That's not even counting the people doing it the old fashioned way and just screwing the neighbor's wife.  On top of that, 40-50% of marriages in America end in divorce.

So, here's the point of my confusion...where the hell are all those "traditional marriage" assholes from a few months ago?  Half of married people are going to get divorced at some point.  Better than half are having affairs.  Even assuming only a conservative 30 million marriages are not "traditional", it's still 30 million verses less than 100,000 or so predicted gay marriages.  Now, I don't have a math degree or anything, but 30,000,000 seems like more to me.  So where the hell are all those assholes fighting for "traditional marriage" now?  Wait a minute...I'm starting to suspect their fight may have had nothing whatsoever to do with traditional marriage...
This sentence is a lie...

Termin

The problem with trying to defend "traditional marriage" is they never define what tradition they are talking about it.  At various times in history having multiple wives, concubines, lovers outside of marriage were all normal.
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

GSOgymrat

Many people using Ashley Madison are not married.

TomFoolery

Quote from: widdershins on August 26, 2015, 03:18:45 PM
By 2014 records there were only 60 million married couples in America.  That means that if someone asked you to guess whether one or both people in any given marriage was cheating you could get way better than 50% by just answering "Yes" every time, based JUST on how many users there were.  That's not even counting the people doing it the old fashioned way and just screwing the neighbor's wife.  On top of that, 40-50% of marriages in America end in divorce.
Many of the Ashley Madison accounts weren't American. Moreover, it seems like even Josh Duggar had two accounts.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

AllPurposeAtheist

The graph leaves out the 75% of catfishermen..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Mike Cl

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on August 26, 2015, 04:03:36 PM
The graph leaves out the 75% of catfishermen..
No, that was in 'others'.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

TomFoolery

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 26, 2015, 04:09:10 PM

It was probably a large enough subset to deserve its own piece of the pie.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 26, 2015, 04:09:10 PM
I doubt 3% is an accurate picture and it left out those poor defenseless super models stranded in African customs offices needing money to bring back their grandfathers priceless art collections..

TomFoolery

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on August 26, 2015, 04:13:06 PM
I doubt 3% is an accurate picture and it left out those poor defenseless super models stranded in African customs offices needing money to bring back their grandfathers priceless art collections..

Not to mention I wonder how many of these accounts were started by suspicious spouses trying to find proof their significant other was cheating...

The story of how I met my husband is sort of like that. :)

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: TomFoolery on August 26, 2015, 04:23:00 PM
Not to mention I wonder how many of these accounts were started by suspicious spouses trying to find proof their significant other was cheating...

The story of how I met my husband is sort of like that. :)
You were a super model stranded in African customs with your grandfathers priceless art collection?  What are the odds? :eek:

Solitary

I really don't care! I'm moving to California, get a motorcycle, and get high.  :pidu:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

widdershins

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 26, 2015, 03:32:53 PM
Many people using Ashley Madison are not married.

You're breaking my balls here.

Johan

I also suspect many people using Ashley Madison were not people, i.e. a shit ton of accounts were fake.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

TomFoolery

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on August 26, 2015, 04:33:50 PM
You were a super model stranded in African customs with your grandfathers priceless art collection?  What are the odds? :eek:

He was a super model stranded at customs in Bangkok with his mother's priceless art collection.

Ok, not really. We met online after I created an account on a dating website in order to help a friend catch her husband cheating on her.

widdershins

Quote from: Johan on August 26, 2015, 05:50:48 PM
I also suspect many people using Ashley Madison were not people, i.e. a shit ton of accounts were fake.
Okay, but the number 30,000,000 non-traditional marriages, in the sense that some will end in divorce or some are not faithful, is still a conservative number.  40-50% will end in divorce.  That number is established.  So, at best, you have to account for only 10% of marriages where a spouse is cheating and it will not end in divorce.  One such instance is the Duggar case, where the wife blamed herself and won't be leaving him.  Devout Catholics will often stay married even if they split up, one or both potentially seeing other people in a sexual capacity.

So, no, maybe it's not as bad as the Ashley Maddison raw numbers make it look, but it's till around half of all marriages being "non-traditional" without a peep from supporters of traditional marriage.