Why don't more believers want to die this instant?

Started by 1liesalot, August 18, 2015, 05:15:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1liesalot

I think about this death thing every so often and how it relates to religion. Who will answer me the following:-

What is all this weeping and wailing about the deaths of loved ones who are, after all, in a much better place now and waiting for you in heaven?

If heaven is eternal bliss and this life on earth is decidedly not, why don't believers want to go there now?

aitm

Despite all their posturing and bellowing, me thinks they are not all that confident in their god. And based on his track record they have a damn good reason to be concerned.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Munch

I think it might be due to their clause of killing themselves would be a sin.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

peacewithoutgod

Quote from: Munch on August 18, 2015, 05:31:57 PM
But you know they would have added that clause the first time somebody got annoyed with them and called them out on their cowardice.

Christians: This world is rife with suffering, because we were born to be sinners, but a better world awaits us as believers after we die...

Others: Then why don't you just fucking die already?
There are two types of ideas: fact and non-fact. Ideas which are not falsifiable are non-fact, therefore please don't insist your fantasies of supernatural beings are in any way factual.

Doctrine = not to be questioned = not to be proven = not fact. When you declare your doctrine fact, you lie.

Unbeliever

Quote from: 1liesalot on August 18, 2015, 05:15:53 PM
I think about this death thing every so often and how it relates to religion. Who will answer me the following:-

What is all this weeping and wailing about the deaths of loved ones who are, after all, in a much better place now and waiting for you in heaven?

If heaven is eternal bliss and this life on earth is decidedly not, why don't believers want to go there now?

My guess is that they don't really believe at all. Either that or they can't really be sure that they've merited Heaven after all, and so they may end up in Hell for eternity.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

TomFoolery

Quote from: Munch on August 18, 2015, 05:31:57 PM

This. Most video games have cheat codes to skip directly to the main boss. Christianity was smart enough to make the penalty for doing so quite severe, forcing you to play whether you like it or not.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

aitm

Quote from: TomFoolery on August 18, 2015, 06:24:13 PM
This. Most video games have cheat codes to skip directly to the main boss. Christianity was smart enough to make the penalty for doing so quite severe, forcing you to play whether you like it or not.
Remember that Deuteronomy is primarily about how to pay the priest. No doubt some thought went into dissuading the good paying congregants from offing themselves.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

1liesalot

Quote from: aitm on August 18, 2015, 05:22:49 PM
Despite all their posturing and bellowing, me thinks they are not all that confident in their god. And based on his track record they have a damn good reason to be concerned.

Me thinks the same.

Atheon

Because suicide is an express trip to hell, in their belief system.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

Different strokes for different cultures.  In ancient Ireland, the living and dead reincarnated in each other's world, and the "that" world was considered better than "this" world.  So when someone died in "this" world, they had a wake, which was a celebration and potlatch (victorious chieftains also celebrated a potlatch ... a party that shared the spoils with all the regular folk).  Of course usually victorious chieftains left dead followers on the battlefield.  And it was believed, that when someone died in the "that" world, it was a cause for mourning, because "this" world was so much worse than the one they were leaving.

Doesn't explain the ancient Egyptians though, who were probably more influential on Biblical ideas.  The Egyptians would hired professional mourners for the funeral, because the family might be in too much grief to do that.  But really, isn't one reason to grieve because we are going to miss he departed?  Maybe the ancient Irish really had a wake, because they were glad the old SOB was gone?  There are a lot of conflicting emotions when someone passes ... as was covered in that other string here, regarding the young person who is terminal, and who just went in and out of a coma.

Funeral and burial/cremation customs are among the most important in every society, along with birth and marriage.  These are "passage" ceremonies ... which also mark the transition from childhood to adulthood.  In Judaism the age is 13, in Hispanic culture it is 15, in Anglo culture it is 16.  Among African boys, the circumcision often happens when they do that transition, as teens, not as new borns.  As a ceremony for teens, male and female circumcision probably is a very ancient proof of bravery.  Aboriginal folks of Australia, who are very very ancient, circumcise by drilling a second hole in the penis, not by removing the foreskin.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.