News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

This was how it was for:

Started by Solitary, July 31, 2015, 06:04:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/02/26/what-happens-when-we-die-story_n_6758554.html

I would say the last time I was conscious knowing I was dying, at first everything became surreal and I knew something was terribly wrong, so I sat down believing I was having oxygen starvation to the brain, from a hear attack or stroke, because I felt it through my entire body. As I sat breathing as deep as I could to get oxygen to my brain, my vision started to fade until it didn't exist, and then my hearing started to go away. Finally I could feel nothing, no pain, no feelings, and no emotions, just peace.  I knew if I let go and passed out I would be dead. After I started to regain normalcy I was afraid to stand up and have it happened again. I finally stood up and stood for awhile. Then I started taking steps toward my porch through the garage. When I got to the porch I yelled for my wife and son to call 911 because I though I was having a heart attack. Because I had no pain a fireman rolled his eyes that I was having an hear attack. Idiot!

It turned out that I had a blood clot go through my heart, into my lungs, and then to my brain causing an ischemic attack. The emergency room doctor after hearing what I said, told me if I hadn't done what I did I would have been dead in 20-30 seconds. Death is not something to fear, however, dying can be very terrifying, and even horrifying. I never had any pain before or after. It was not any fun, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be knowing what was happening. Other time I was unconscious during surgery, and it was NOTHING whatsoever. I think death is the greatest gift we have if you are in unbearable suffering. It's way harder for loved ones that have to live with it after.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Baruch

An experience of dying, produces an alternate consciousness or unconsciousness, anecdotally.  While unconscious you can be in a dream state or a no-dream state.  Every person experiences a mild death event every time we fall asleep.  Many people experience mild altered states of consciousness, sometimes accidentally, sometimes deliberately ... thru taking substances or sleep deprivation or hypnosis or sensory deprivation.

he epistemic status of altered states of consciousness ... or states of unconsciousness ... are treated as negligible except in psychology.  In "reductionism" aka "physicalism" they have no value because they are not subject to objective analysis.  Objective analysis assumes normal consciousness, and controlled observation or even experiment.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

I was operated under full anesthesia once for a broken right leg. And I was out for 5 or so hours. I was operated in the morning and awoke again in the afternoon. You know how you have slept and you feel that time has passed? Not so for being full under, time simply vanishes between. Because you're not there to experience anything. I believe death will be like that, just forever.

SGOS

Death is "not being alive."  I see no reason why it needs to be any more complicated than that.

SGOS

Quote from: Sal1981 on August 01, 2015, 04:41:11 AM
You know how you have slept and you feel that time has passed? Not so for being full under, time simply vanishes between.

That was the strangest experience for me too.  The absence of time is not something we experience when we sleep. It may get distorted sometimes, but there is never an absence like some anesthesia produces.  An hour, a day, or eternity; Those are man made concepts of time and don't exist in the absence of time.

Baruch

The collective unconscious is eternal.  Normal consciousness isn't individual either, it is collective, unless you are an egomaniac.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.