News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Does Privilege Matter?

Started by dtq123, July 22, 2015, 04:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Bottle

I specifically meant people who think the world owe's them, and who look down on others, like royalty..
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mermaid on July 24, 2015, 08:09:06 AM
People quite often fail to see their privilege. That's kind of the point.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Green Bottle on July 24, 2015, 08:52:53 AM
I specifically meant people who think the world owe's them, and who look down on others, like royalty..

It's a huge chart, Green. They are just a part of it. That^looks different because it is 'institutionalised'. It's official. The root is the same.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Green Bottle ... thanks to the "special relationship" ...

Americans have gone from being "temporarily embarrassed millionaires" to being "temporarily embarrassed royalty" ... at least in some political dynasties ;-(  In GB, you have actual "entitled" people.  In the US political argot ... "entitlement" is a nasty word ... usually applied to poor people who get assistance from the government ... but not applied to plutocrats who get extra breaks they don't need, or corporations who are despoiling the nation.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mermaid on July 24, 2015, 08:09:06 AM
People quite often fail to see their privilege. That's kind of the point.
So it's just a matter of opinion?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Baruch

A bi-directional opinion ... an asshole thinks he is privileged, and the losers around him agree that he is, and are jealous of his delusion.  Without followers, the leaders would all be in padded rooms, rather than flying in Air Force One and starting wars.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Quote from: Baruch on July 24, 2015, 06:38:06 PM
A bi-directional opinion ... an asshole thinks he is privileged, and the losers around him agree that he is, and are jealous of his delusion.  Without followers, the leaders would all be in padded rooms, rather than flying in Air Force One and starting wars.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

Quote from: Baruch on July 24, 2015, 06:38:06 PM
A bi-directional opinion ... an asshole thinks he is privileged,
I think you changed the definition or perhaps misunderstood the original intent:

I do not think I am privileged..i.e, that I should by nature or any other method be deserving of any special treatment over others…

I am privileged in that I was/am fortunate enough to have a far easier life than 80% of the rest of the world.

I am also privileged in that for all my struggles the effort for me to "escape" my troubles were made far less difficult than many others due to my skin color, sex, and fucking pure handsomeness…….
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

I thought guilt-tripping had gone out of style, but here it is, old name ground off and all bright, shiny, and new. Nothing ever changes.
PZ Myers

aitm

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 25, 2015, 07:44:26 AM
I thought guilt-tripping had gone out of style, but here it is, old name ground off and all bright, shiny, and new. Nothing ever changes.
well, I have no guilt whatsoever.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on July 25, 2015, 08:02:29 AM
well, I have no guilt whatsoever.
Ditto, which points up nicely the futility of the campaign to make "everybody but me" feel bad.
PZ Myers

Baruch

aitm ... I was generalizing into the psychological motivation.  But I get your POV ... I feel the same way.  But I feel both good and bad about it ... but while I haven't done much to directly cause harm, my participation in the "system" contributes to harm ... but escaping systemic guilt is very hard indeed.  On the other hand, I don't go around guilt tripping anyone over perceived harm to myself or to whatever group I identify with.  That aspect is "un-jewish" ... but then I am non-conformist.  On guilt tripping, it is only appropriate to use the Jew card ... if someone is playing the victim in a way that excludes other victims, and if it excluded Jewish victims, then it is anti-Semitic.

So where am I on the "underlying" motivation for this string?  Yes, I never destroyed any Native Americans, and I have never enslaved any Africans ... and yes, self identified White folk have many problems in life, not all of them being the beneficiaries of systemic racism.  Psychologically I would say ... stop playing the victim ... or the perp.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

My grandparents all came from Ireland in the 1900s. I don't feel no guilt about Native Americans or the descendants of people who were captured by their neighbors and sold to Europeans.
PZ Myers