Ministers get caught cheating on wives on Skype

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, July 19, 2015, 11:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

It's a funny site,  uglyrenaissancebabies.com, but it is a bit telling of the times in that that period didn't give us much at all other than a lot of paintings and a LOT of them were really wacked out shit about whatever the powers that be at the time wanted hanging on the walls. 

My fault. .it's a Tumblr site. .
http://uglyrenaissancebabies.tumblr.com/
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on July 22, 2015, 06:20:27 PM
Prophecy is best done retroactively ;-)

But it was a particularly interesting time ... as The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini shows.  Pretty much everything Western is present in his time ... and it isn't always a pretty sight.

Of course it is very inetersting. But understanding Renaissance goes through many curtains and most importantly the first thick one of understanding the historical idea of 19th century.

Why specifically Cellini? I mean for you. Because it's a first hand account or something else?

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 23, 2015, 02:09:09 AM
It's a funny site,  uglyrenaissancebabies.com, but it is a bit telling of the times in that that period didn't give us much at all other than a lot of paintings and a LOT of them were really wacked out shit about whatever the powers that be at the time wanted hanging on the walls. 

My fault. .it's a Tumblr site. .
http://uglyrenaissancebabies.tumblr.com/

Well, one would think these kiddies would know that baby jesus was to be depicted resembling an ugly, old man in madonnas according to a specific tradition. Because he was supposed to be grumpy, not amused and heavy with the sins of humanity and he starts to talk as soon as he was born. :lol: Anyway, at some peieces it's on purpose.

It also looks like they mixed paitings from a range of I dunno more than 600 years. There is one from late middle ages another from Baroque? Lol.

I can't decide if it is good to that there is no classic art historical perspective to be found in there or that the 'criticism' is based on the very idea of an outmoded aesthetic of a forgottten time which was in fact based on those. :lol:

It's pretty 'philistine' as Westerners love to say.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini ... is only the second autobiography (self-authored) in Western history.  The Confessions of St Augustine of Hippo was the first.  The Courtier by Baldassare Castiglione is a first person description also, but not of Seniore Castiglione, but about the upper class in the city state of Urbino.  Cellini's life was rip-roaring adventure ... the nobility of Urbino were ... urban sophisticates.  It is rare that we can get an intimate and non-propagandistic view of olden times ... because little survives of personal correspondence or literature.  What is composed for public consumption ... is bent to an agenda.  With Cellini ... his agenda is self promotion.  With Castiglione ... it is regret of an old man at the passing of the world of his youth.  The book Galileo's Daughter ... is a vital view of a famous person of the next century, that we would have no knowledge otherwise ... Galileo was a good Catholic ... better than the Pope, and that is why he was ultimately kept under house arrest.

The Lives Of The Artists by Vasari is much more second hand.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

My avatar is from uglyrenaissancebabies.tumblr.com, but I changed it to Chucky Jesus Pizza. .Chucky Cheese's pizza tastes about how jebus looks in the picture. .lol
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

I am surprised that nobody mentioned that the Madonna With Child motif actually is from Egypt circa 400 CE ... courtesy of St Cyril's murderous monks ... and is a reworking of Isis With Baby Horus.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.