News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Exodus: Gods and Kings

Started by Draconic Aiur, July 05, 2015, 06:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconic Aiur

So I wached the movie the acting is horrible, kinda non biblical historic, weird and the christian god represenative is a fucking child.

What are they promoting here? lol

Gawdzilla Sama

It's a dick-sizing episode in the bible, like the great flood.

"My God killed the Pharaoh!"

"My God killed every damn thing on the planet. I don't suppose you guys noticed that?"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

I saw the coming attractions several times at the theater.  It didn't look that good, and it ended up with 27% on Rotten Tomatoes.  I passed.  So this is what happens at the end of a Batman Career.  Box office colossus goes the way of Nicolas Cage?  Picks up supporting roles that no one else will take?

On a related note, Hollywood usually releases a slew of blockbusters each summer, but the new movies at the theaters seem somewhat fewer in numbers, and no real "got to see" movies so far.

Draconic Aiur

Rotten tomatoes sucks. It gave the latest too fast too furious movie rated better than Princess Mononoke. It loses all credibility when they prefer a sequel sequel instead of a original Hayao Miyazakii film that has powerful meanings. Kinda like the history channel when they put redneck shows on.

Munch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on July 05, 2015, 07:44:36 PM
Rotten tomatoes sucks. It gave the latest too fast too furious movie rated better than Princess Mononoke. It loses all credibility when they prefer a sequel sequel instead of a original Hayao Miyazakii film that has powerful meanings. Kinda like the history channel when they put redneck shows on.

Usually i only use rotten tomatoes for comparison to raitings on other movie raiting sites to peoples opinion of a movie, but yes, Miyazakii produced cold even in some of his less well received titles. Fuck rotten tomatoes.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

kilodelta

Rotten Tomatoes gave Joe Dirt 11%... It rated Mighty Ducks 3 and Pearl Harbor higher...
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

SGOS

I don't think Rotten Tomatoes does any reviewing itself.  It just reports an average of professional critics, and an average for viewers in general.  I probably weight the viewers in general a little more because the professionals seem to like to write good reviews for a lot of movies that go right by me.  In fact, critics in general haven't helped me much in selecting a movie to watch.  Sometimes they steer me into some very pretentious crap that I don't enjoy at all.  I don't go to movies for any other reason to be entertained.  If I were a high brow, I'd put on a suit and attend a play with a bunch of other highbrows, but really, I just want to sit back and eat a box of popcorn and be entertained.  And everyone's tastes are different.  I often find that popular blockbusters disappoint me, but it's hardly a rule.

I'm surprised at some of the really bad films.  If you are going to sink millions of dollars into a film, and hire good actors, you need to have a good story and a director that has reasonable vision.  Why bad movies happen at all is a mystery.  What wealthy producer would back something that is really bad and people hate?  It happens enough times that I have to question the brilliance of some Hollywood moguls.  I suppose there is value in taking risks, but some movies are dead before they are produced.

trdsf

I don't have any use for Rotten Tomatoes, generally speaking.  Have you seen their list of the Top 100 comedies?  I'm sorry, when this year's Paddington is ranked higher than Ghostbusters, Life of Brian and Young Frankenstein(!!!!!!!!), and that Amadeus is listed as a comedy in the first place, that tells me their ratings are just plain broken and their opinion can be discarded.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on July 11, 2015, 05:37:47 PM
I don't have any use for Rotten Tomatoes, generally speaking.  Have you seen their list of the Top 100 comedies?  I'm sorry, when this year's Paddington is ranked higher than Ghostbusters, Life of Brian and Young Frankenstein(!!!!!!!!), and that Amadeus is listed as a comedy in the first place, that tells me their ratings are just plain broken and their opinion can be discarded.

I occasionally read an article that cites the top 10 or so movies of various genre, but I always wonder why something or other was overlooked.  I don't think I've read any of them on Rotten Tomatoes, however.  If the top "lists" are compiled on some sort of actual statistics, I might not agree, but I wouldn't argue the statistical analysis.  If it's just some writers opinion, well then, he wrote an article that made it into print.  But I don't put much stock in it.