We're here because we have something to say and we're no longer afraid to say it

Started by Termin, July 09, 2015, 04:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Termin

Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Termin

Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

Baruch

Fear is the mind-killer.  I am not afraid ... and I believe in giant sand worms ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm not afraid to say that the grass in my backyard is green goshdarnit!
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

doorknob

I'm not afraid to say fuck off to all the churches and christians that fought to stop birth control from being covered by health insurances. Don't like abortion well then why not try to promote the most successful thing to prevent it because abstinence works.

SGOS

They sound like being forced to look at their own bigotry for the first time is mildly traumatic for them. 

"I'm not afraid to be different.  I'm not ashamed."  Doeth thou protest too much?  Or is this just the process of coming to terms with the reality you live in?  Jiminy Cricket!  These people need to get out of their cloistered church environment, and start interacting with the rest of the world. 

But I get it.  How many times in my younger days was I surprised, sometimes even floored that people disagreed with me?  But you go on with your life.  It's never the end of the world.

Meanwhile, a clerk of court has been told by the governor of Kentucky to do his job and issue marriage licenses to gays, or step down, and he's protesting.  Usually, when someone refuses to do their job, they get fired. Why would anyone think they should be entitled to get paid for refusing to do their job?

GSOgymrat

"You're not alone." No kidding. Where I live they are the majority.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Solitary on July 10, 2015, 09:15:41 AM
Whatever happen to live and let live?
When has that ever been a christian consideration?  This is the christian motto: Kill them all and let god sort them out.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Munch

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 10, 2015, 10:25:36 AM
When has that ever been a christian consideration?  This is the christian motto: Kill them all and let god sort them out.

that and "convert to our way of thinking, or die!"
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Mike CL ... do you know where in history that specific quote comes from?  "kill them all, let god sort it out" ... is what the Papal legate (ambassador) said during the siege of Beziers in July 21, 1209 ... during the opening of the Albigensian Crusade in S France.  He was asked if the population of the city was both orthodox and heretic ... how can be know who to slay?  And that was his famous response.  Other slaughters had other reasons ... though generally if you resisted siege at all, your life was pretty much forfeit ... as it was at the Alamo.  The siege of Beziers was rather brief ... but the Papacy and the King of France (not all of what is now called France today, just the northern part was called France 800 years ago) needed to "make an example for the others" ... another famous phrase.  This was also an example of "let slip the dogs of war" ... which were feral youth, not unlike ISIS today.  The feral youth who were part of the camp followers, were allowed to participate in the slaughter, which left no human in Beziers alive.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 10, 2015, 07:14:06 PM
Mike CL ... do you know where in history that specific quote comes from?  "kill them all, let god sort it out" ... is what the Papal legate (ambassador) said during the siege of Beziers in July 21, 1209 ... during the opening of the Albigensian Crusade in S France.  He was asked if the population of the city was both orthodox and heretic ... how can be know who to slay?  And that was his famous response.  Other slaughters had other reasons ... though generally if you resisted siege at all, your life was pretty much forfeit ... as it was at the Alamo.  The siege of Beziers was rather brief ... but the Papacy and the King of France (not all of what is now called France today, just the northern part was called France 800 years ago) needed to "make an example for the others" ... another famous phrase.  This was also an example of "let slip the dogs of war" ... which were feral youth, not unlike ISIS today.  The feral youth who were part of the camp followers, were allowed to participate in the slaughter, which left no human in Beziers alive.
Yeah--I had remembered that it was the Pope's clash with the Cathars and in a church/cathedral in Southern France.  At least that is how I remembered it.  And why I called it the christian motto--seems they liked to follow it (if not say it) from the very beginning of that evil religion.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Constantine was a violent general and politician.  To his discredit ... he divorced his first wife to gain a more political marriage.  This second wife lied about his son by his first wife, and he executed him.  When he found out he had made a mistake, he had his second wife boiled alive.  And his brother in law ... was a competing general/emperor.  After he managed to defeat his brother in law and force him into retirement ... he took precautions to have him murdered.  His dynasty quickly imploded into political murder and civil war within a few decades.  It was his non-relative successor, Theodosius, who outlawed paganism completely ... and outlawed Judaism as well.  So politics and religion don't mix ... unless religion lets itself be fatally compromised.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

PickelledEggs