News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Stupid things you believed as a kid

Started by Atheon, July 09, 2015, 11:05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atheon

What kind of stupid things did you believe as a kid?

I thought the word "current" only applied to electricity. One day when I was maybe 6 or 7, I went on a nature hike, and the guide started talking about the current of a stream that was flowing through the park. I concluded that the stream must have had electric eels in it.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

GSOgymrat

When I was a kid I thought my teachers knew everything about the subjects they taught, that my math teacher knew all math and my history teacher knew all history.

dtq123

When I was a young lad, I thought Hitler was a US war general.

No shit, I even imitated him for a while.
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Sal1981

I saw a nature program once were an indigenous South-american tribe were chewing some roots and vegetables and spitting it into a pile (no idea what it was back then, nor now) that looked like some sort of marmalade, I thought this was then how marmalade was produced; no idea how I came to that conclusion. Appearances are deceiving.

Hijiri Byakuren

When I was 3, my mom was pregnant with my brother. I concluded that since she was having a boy, my dad would eventually have a girl, and that was why there would always be both boys and girls.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

AllPurposeAtheist

As a boy I had the honor of getting the birds and bees speech from my dad. The day before we had gone to a baseball game to watch the Cincinnati Reds so I happened to have a leftover bag of peanuts and somewhere in the speech I swear my dad said "...and the man puts his peanuts in the woman. ." Hey, it was logical. .my balls at the time were about the same size and there were, well still are two of them. .
I'm still putting my peanuts in women whenever possible. .:lol:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

TomFoolery

My mom went overboard on instilling just how much danger is in the world. For example, I thought knives were super sharp, like the whole thing. I assumed even touching the side of the blade could result in serious injury or death. I remember one night watching my dad chop onions and screaming because he had one hand on the spine of the knife. Same with electrical sockets, I was too terrified to plug something in until I was like 7 or 8. It's amazing I was able to grow up without bursting into tears and the thought of crossing the street.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

TomFoolery

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 09, 2015, 11:51:27 AM
When I was 3, my mom was pregnant with my brother. I concluded that since she was having a boy, my dad would eventually have a girl, and that was why there would always be both boys and girls.

We had a male cat and a female dog growing up and I assumed that all cats were boys and all dogs were girls.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Atheon

When I was 6, we went on a family camping outing. We did a lot of hiking. My uncle took out a bag of M&Ms, and gave some to us kids. "M&Ms for energy," he said.

Later, back in school, my teacher asked the class, "Name a source of energy." I'll leave it to you to guess what my answer was.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Munch

When I was a kid, I use to believe a giant wolf would come into our house and open my door at night to scare me.

I also believed sea was blue, even when my brother explained it looks blue because of the skys reflection, I was convinced he was wrong.

Oh, and I believed putting crystals on my VHR would make the static interference from the aerial not appear when my fav cartoons were on...

Yeah I've done the dumb fuck belief thing in the past. I even once tried to perform a ritual from a store brought spellbook to stop it raining before gay pride when I was 20 -_-
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Atheon

When I first heard the words "fire drill", I thought it was a fire-shooting power drill.

AllPurposeAtheist

Good thing I didn't know anyone named Johnny Finnegan because I'm pretty sure that I would have had to jump off the Empire State building with him. .
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

TrueStory

When I was a kid I thought in general that adults were smart.  Now I realize that not to be the case at all.
Please don't take anything I say seriously.

Atheon

Quote from: TrueStory on July 09, 2015, 02:50:03 PM
When I was a kid I thought in general that adults were smart.  Now I realize that not to be the case at all.
I thought that adults were dumb, but kids were smart because we kids didn't believe in god.

Munch

I use to think that even if I don't believe in God, I must respect things like churches and what they say, or their holidays, because bad things might happen if I don't.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin