News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A hard-to-label ex-Christian

Started by Blackleaf, July 08, 2015, 11:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Hello ladies and gents. I am a guy who, like many of you, recently gave up on his Christian faith. Why? Well, there is a whole laundry list of reasons, but mainly it is because I could not continue to support a God who consistently ignores my prayers. I was one of the most devote Christians, volunteering my time, money, and sanity to the church in more ways than I could count. I spent years genuinely searching for an intimate relationship with God, and I got tired of trying when it was so obvious that God wasn't going to make any effort Himself.

Now I'm a bit of an oddball. Although I still believe that there is a god, I don't believe that he is the self-sacrificing, loving father that Christians portray him to be. I'm also about 50% convinced in an idea similar to solipsism, but that's a discussion for another time. I'm also still very interested in religion, if only as a type of fiction that offers an interesting perspective. I've even created a couple of my own religions for an RPG I've been creating. I also still have a pet peeve for Biblical misinterpretation. In my opinion, Christians would be much easier to get along with if they actually knew the book that they claim to believe in and didn't just trust what they hear about it. But again, that's a topic for another day.

Some other things about me: I have a singing voice (second tenor), I like to write fictional stories and to roleplay online, and I'm working on earning my Masters degree in psychology. I enjoy video games, especially ones with open worlds, and I'm really looking forward to playing Fallout 4 and the Final Fantasy 7 remake.

If you haven't noticed already, I'm very opinionated, but don't take anything I say personally. I respect your right to have a different opinion, and I'm actually interested to hear counterpoints to my arguments, as long as the debate remains civil. I've been proven wrong before. That's why I'm not a Christian any more. I continually adjust my opinions to fit the evidence that comes my way.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 08, 2015, 11:32:41 PM
Hello ladies and gents. I am a guy who, like many of you, recently gave up on his Christian faith. Why? Well, there is a whole laundry list of reasons, but mainly it is because I could not continue to support a God who consistently ignores my prayers. I was one of the most devote Christians, volunteering my time, money, and sanity to the church in more ways than I could count. I spent years genuinely searching for an intimate relationship with God, and I got tired of trying when it was so obvious that God wasn't going to make any effort Himself.

Now I'm a bit of an oddball. Although I still believe that there is a god, I don't believe that he is the self-sacrificing, loving father that Christians portray him to be. I'm also about 50% convinced in an idea similar to solipsism, but that's a discussion for another time. I'm also still very interested in religion, if only as a type of fiction that offers an interesting perspective. I've even created a couple of my own religions for an RPG I've been creating. I also still have a pet peeve for Biblical misinterpretation. In my opinion, Christians would be much easier to get along with if they actually knew the book that they claim to believe in and didn't just trust what they hear about it. But again, that's a topic for another day.

Some other things about me: I have a singing voice (second tenor), I like to write fictional stories and to roleplay online, and I'm working on earning my Masters degree in psychology. I enjoy video games, especially ones with open worlds, and I'm really looking forward to playing Fallout 4 and the Final Fantasy 7 remake.

If you haven't noticed already, I'm very opinionated, but don't take anything I say personally. I respect your right to have a different opinion, and I'm actually interested to hear counterpoints to my arguments, as long as the debate remains civil. I've been proven wrong before. That's why I'm not a Christian any more. I continually adjust my opinions to fit the evidence that comes my way.
It's good you have finally come to you senses.  Well, most of them, anyway.  :))  I don't think there is a god.  But as you say, that is for another day.  But the best news is that you love sandbox games as much as I do.  And I'm already first in line for Fallout 4!!  Welcome to our little corner of madness; hope you will feel at home soon.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Nothing wrong with learning to think for yourself.  It is kind of the mature thing to do.  Welcome.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

As Baruch says BL, it means your growing up, as odd a concept it is to say that to adults, some simply don't grow up in their make-believe, some people are hard wired, and it carries into the adulthood.

I hope this is just a path for you to figure things out for the better. Don't look to god or made up entities, look to people that matter to you.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Green Bottle

Afternoon Blackleaf an Welcome.....
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Blackleaf

Thanks for the welcomes, guys. I look forward to our friendly discussions.
--Fulke Greville--

dtq123

Welcome to the klub mate!

We have alcohol, drugs, harems (ok, not those) and the like. Feel free to contribute any way you can :grin:
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

aitm

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 09, 2015, 11:19:44 AM
Thanks for the welcomes, guys. I look forward to our friendly discussions.

Nobody said a mother fucking thing about "friendly discussions". Ha.

Yeah, odd how "our" god and 'their" god and "no" god seems to treat their respective followers with the same % of fortune or misery. One should be able to pick on that pretty quick, but humanity, as we have seen….is stupid.

Welcome to the forum!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PickelledEggs

As long as you aren't a prick, you're good with me :lol:

Welcome to the forum. Be sure to BYOB at this summer's annual baby roast. (that's short for bring your own baby)

Munch

Baby roast?

So that's either something truly horrible and cannibalistic, or it involves telling a baby in front of a crowd how much they suck.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Solitary

Welcome aboard Blackleaf! I had an ex girlfriend that never believed in the churches, Church, and Christianity, but believed in a god. She did practice Wiccan for awhile, and Hindu rituals. She defiantly put a spell on me.   
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Solomon Zorn

Freeing yourself of the God delusions, can be a long process. Giving up on myths (Christianity) is a big step. Joining an Atheist forum is another small step in the right direction. Eventually, you may find that you have no need for God, as an explanation for anything. Enjoy your new journey, and welcome to the forum.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Blackleaf

Quote from: PickelledEggs on July 09, 2015, 08:51:37 PM
As long as you aren't a prick, you're good with me :lol:

Welcome to the forum. Be sure to BYOB at this summer's annual baby roast. (that's short for bring your own baby)

I thought that BYOB stood for Bring Your Own Bible! All this time, I've been doing it wrong!
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 08, 2015, 11:32:41 PM
Hello ladies and gents. I am a guy who, like many of you, recently gave up on his Christian faith. Why? Well, there is a whole laundry list of reasons, but mainly it is because I could not continue to support a God who consistently ignores my prayers.

God is so perfect that he actually perfectly mimics random chance.  He answers prayers in a randomness that is nothing less than a perfect imitation of godless randomness.  He creates natural disasters that behave according to the perfect randomness of weather and plate tectonics.  He is so perfect that he has created a universe that appears to be exactly what a universe would be like if there were no god at all.  How can he do all that you ask?  He is perfect!

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Munch on July 10, 2015, 04:48:18 AM
Baby roast?

So that's either something truly horrible and cannibalistic, or it involves telling a baby in front of a crowd how much they suck.