What is the single most stupid argument for the existence of God you ever heard?

Started by 1liesalot, July 06, 2015, 09:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBCuzISaidSo

It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.
-- Ricky Gervais

Listen, Big Deal, we've got a bigger problem here. Women always figure out the truth. Always.
--Han Solo, The Force Awakens

Atheon

Quote from: JBCuzISaidSo on July 07, 2015, 01:13:19 PM
I like that last one*, makes me smile!
Yup! When Christians say that, I congratulate them for debunking their own religion!

* If god didn't exist, there would be no need for Jesus to die for our sins.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

dtq123

KingJ is himself an argument for god.
What a lovely job he's done. :grin:
Now toss him in a lake of fire
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

Baruch

KingJ ... circular logic this.  I love to kill, so I should kill to maximize love?  If shit is beautiful, then you are channeling a maggot perhaps?  Please don't take this personally ... in nature everything has a purpose ... but I am biased ... I choose not to be a maggot, thanks.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Saying everything is beautiful is a nice way of putting gods stamp on everything. What about bone cancer? Or a stillborn baby? Or facial tumours? Are they beautiful?

This reminds me of the conversation on drunken peasants, where g-man made the same argument of God creating all things and loving all people, for TJ to bring up starving third world children, only for g-man to demand they show him a starving child to prove they exist.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Atheon

Our calendar is based on the date of Jesus's birth, therefore god exists.
Even atheists say "Oh god!", therefore god exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzeX15kXcxQ
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

Even Bill Clinton knows that there is more than one definition of "is".  So of course, if someone says "Oh, God" then "God" exists ... but not necessarily in the same way you or I exist.  I have seen Naruto in an anime, so I know he exists too.  Just not in the way say ... John Locke (English philosopher) would say that you and I exist.  Don't confuse perception with sensation.  To a baby, a field of color is just that, because their perception hasn't developed yet ... but to you or I, it is a picture of a Playboy centerfold ;-)  All we know is our perception ... and it isn't reliable ... nothing is (what definition of "is" did I use, hmm?).  Skepticism is a powerful tool, but if used too much, you cut yourself and everyone else down to nothing, you have achieved nihilism not wisdom.  Selective use of skepticism is necessary, yet biased.

The origin of the Western calendar is complicated, involving Vikings, Romans, Egyptians, Christians.  Jews are independent of all that.  Real atheists should use sidereal time (what astronauts use).  It is out of this world ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Contemporary Protestant

I find it obnoxious when people use the bible as proof or disproof of God. If there is one, I dont think he cares about if camels existed in such and such place at whatever time. And the silliest thing I have ever seen about religion in general is the cliche "how is there no God if people have seen heaven?"

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 08, 2015, 07:10:04 AM
Even Bill Clinton knows that there is more than one definition of "is".  So of course, if someone says "Oh, God" then "God" exists ... but not necessarily in the same way you or I exist.  I have seen Naruto in an anime, so I know he exists too.  Just not in the way say ... John Locke (English philosopher) would say that you and I exist.  Don't confuse perception with sensation.  To a baby, a field of color is just that, because their perception hasn't developed yet ... but to you or I, it is a picture of a Playboy centerfold ;-)  All we know is our perception ... and it isn't reliable ... nothing is (what definition of "is" did I use, hmm?).  Skepticism is a powerful tool, but if used too much, you cut yourself and everyone else down to nothing, you have achieved nihilism not wisdom.  Selective use of skepticism is necessary, yet biased.

The origin of the Western calendar is complicated, involving Vikings, Romans, Egyptians, Christians.  Jews are independent of all that.  Real atheists should use sidereal time (what astronauts use).  It is out of this world ;-)
In other words (have I heard this somewhere????) everything in moderation?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Unbeliever

I've actually heard this, and I think it must be about the stupidest argument for God ever:

1. The Bible is the word of God
2. The Bible says that God exists
3. Therefore, God exists.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Mike CL ... more like ... the condition of the baby is as much a part of who we are, as the condition of the adult.  An adult is simply a highly developed baby.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 08, 2015, 07:04:53 PM
Mike CL ... more like ... the condition of the baby is as much a part of who we are, as the condition of the adult.  An adult is simply a highly developed baby.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............moderately so, I guess.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 09, 2015, 07:02:58 AM
Mike CL ... Ageism ... what have you got against babies?
Unlike puppies, babies I can do without.  Or in small doses.  And yes, I'm reverting back to my babyhood as I age--doesn't mean that acceptance=like. 

Atheon

Quote from: Munch on July 06, 2015, 10:59:02 AM
Every since the Bill Nye and Ken Ham event, this one image is one I can't get over.

The question she asks along with the blank, thoughtless expression is the perfect picture for theism overall.

Its like.. I learned about the rotation of the earth and its position in the universe when i was five. A five year old is smarter then this woman..
Yeah, she looks so proud of her unassailable reply. "Checkmate, atheists!"