Man Applies for Marriage License for 2nd Wife

Started by TomFoolery, July 02, 2015, 11:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 03, 2015, 01:36:41 PM
Yes and No. Mike, I really don't feel like writing a long post yet again to explain what is so painfully obvious about the subject. I know you don't like it when I get like this, but I have been pretty clear.
Get like what?  I'm really trying to understand what you point is.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: dtq123 on July 03, 2015, 02:10:45 PM
In Summary; The Military sucks, This is no longer about polygamy and HOLY SHIT WTF HAPPENED?

:axe:
Hey--makes sense to me--polygamy in the army?  All kinds of stuff happens there behind closed doors--or tent flaps. Who really knows???
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 03, 2015, 04:56:36 PM
Get like what?  I'm really trying to understand what you point is.

Offensive. And really, I am not into writing all that again. Nevermind.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

trdsf

I haven't given the matter a lot of thought, but nope, I can't think of a Constitutional reason to bar plural marriage ("polygamy" means multiple wives, so it's a sort of biased term even though it's frequently used generically).  It'll probably happen eventually, after going through all the same bullshit that equal binary marriage had to go through.  I'll be surprised if it takes less than ten years, personally, but I'm willing to be proven wrong.

It'll be fun watching the wingnuts oppose a demonstrably biblical form of marriage, too.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on July 02, 2015, 11:44:18 AM
I will take polygamy discussion seriously after A WOMAN applies for marriage licence for the 2ND HUSBAND. Let's see what will happen then.

That's polyandry.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Jason Harvestdancer

Technically polygamy can be either, and polygyny refers exclusively to multiple wives.  In practical usage polygamy refers to multiple wives.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

I have to wonder about the motives of that guy in Montana.  On the surface, he just seems like a Mormon wanting the same consideration being given to gays, but in the back of my mind I wonder if he's trying to point out the slippery slope of legalizing gay marriage?  But probably not, since he's a Mormon.

The right wing got its nose out of joint worried about the floodgate that would open when gays married.  "Next would be bestiality," they cried.  But no, that's still down the road.  The next thing is Mormons!  That's the outcome that is clear now, and when Mormons can marry more wives, only then will come bestiality followed by floods and plagues of epic proportions, and then the apocalypse.

TomFoolery

Quote from: dtq123 on July 03, 2015, 02:10:45 PM
In Summary; The Military sucks, This is no longer about polygamy and HOLY SHIT WTF HAPPENED?

:axe:

Apparently it's just easier to go off on a tangent and launch personal attacks on people and the military in response to a single statement about technological revolution than it is to discuss the purpose of marriage and whether or not it has a role in raising children in our society.

And in other news, I just rolled my eyes so hard I saw my brain.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

pr126

There are many Muslim males with multiple wives in the EU, USA , Canada, and elsewhere.
No mention about those?

Here in the UK they even getting welfare benefits for extra spouses.

dtq123

Quote from: pr126 on July 04, 2015, 12:24:18 PM
There are many Muslim males with multiple wives in the EU, USA , Canada, and elsewhere.
No mention about those?

Here in the UK they even getting welfare benefits for extra spouses.
Time to move to the UK! Fuck America! Harlots, come to me!
A dark cloud looms over.
Festive cheer does not help much.
What is this, "Justice?"

pr126

Quote from: dtq123 on July 04, 2015, 12:25:55 PM
Time to move to the UK! Fuck America! Harlots, come to me!

Sorry, we are full.

TomFoolery

No mention about those?

I suppose in the U.S. when people think of religions with multiple wives, they think of fundamentalist Mormons. LDS Mormons don't practice polygamy, and I didn't think all sects of Muslims did either but I could be mistaken.

At any rate, laws can be vague and vary by state as to how you could work it out spiritually, but laws tend to be quite clear when referring to legal marriages: you only get one at a time regardless of your religion. A lot of Mormons will legally marry their first wife and then move subsequent wives in and treat them for all intents and purposes as wives, but there's no legal protections given to subsequent wives.

I've heard arguments about why polygamy should be illegal based on welfare benefits. In the U.S. they could potentially get welfare benefits either way, so I see it as a moot point. It's a pretty giant loophole. Say a man has three wives and three children by each wife. Since he can only legally be married to the first one, if he doesn't legally acknowledge his children by his other two wives, for all intents and purposes they are single mothers with three children and qualify for a host of welfare benefits and tax credits. It gets complicated because it varies by state and state programs vary by household income and family size. Being a single mother isn't a crime, but welfare fraud is, yet is it really welfare fraud if the government doesn't allow you to legally acknowledge a non-traditional family structure?
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

drunkenshoe

No mention about those?

Yeah good point.

Probably they don't count, beause they are not considered as regular humans? 

Draconic Aiur

seems like a good idea except WHO THE FUCK WANTS TO SHARE THEIR PARTNER?