What Does It Even Mean to Exist Forever?

Started by mikecool70, March 11, 2013, 02:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plu

QuoteThis is what freaks me out about Star Trek transporters. How do I know the guy that comes out the other end is really "me"?

How do you know the guy that wakes up when you go to sleep is really you? :P

Colanth

Quote from: "Plu"
QuoteThis is what freaks me out about Star Trek transporters. How do I know the guy that comes out the other end is really "me"?

How do you know the guy that wakes up when you go to sleep is really you? :P
According to certain Native American belief, it's not.  You're a new "you" every day.

I think the problem is that there's no competent definition of "really me".
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Alias

Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote from: "Alias"
Quote from: "Colanth"I'll search for whatever you can produce evidence of.  So far, no one has produced any evidence of any god.  So the burden is still yours.

God = One expressing as many
It is your burden to prove where the separation is.
I'll grant your "one expressing as many".  Now explain how thew many created the universe (before they existed, since there was nothing - including the many - when it was created).  And explain how "the one expressing as many" died for the sins of the many.  (Not that you can, since that's semantic claptrap.)

"The one expressing as many" is a pointer that that there is no separated self.
A wave that no longer see its self as a separated wave can see the ocean and its true self, water.
I am not talking about creation, i dont know about that.
I am talking about the title, "What does it even mean to exist forever".

Colanth

Quote from: "Alias""The one expressing as many" is a pointer that that there is no separated self.
Oh, sorry.  I thought this was going to be a rational discussion, not me viewing your drug-induced nightmares.

QuoteI am talking about the title, "What does it even mean to exist forever".
It means to survive the heat-death of the universe - IOW, it's words with no meaning.

entropy

Quote from: "Alias""The one expressing as many" is a pointer that that there is no separated self.
A wave that no longer see its self as a separated wave can see the ocean and its true self, water.

I know what the nature of water is - it's melting point, boiling point, density, etc. - and how a wave can appear as a spatial-temporal manifestation consistent with physical laws yet not be separate from the whole body of water. I don't know what the nature of "the one" is and how there can appear to be different spatial-temporal manifestations - "expressing as many" - of a whole that you refer to as "the one". Could you explain the nature of "the one" in a way like we can explain the nature of water (what are its properties) and could you explain how "the one" can exhibit spatial-temporal manifestations like we can explain, using physical laws, how a big body of water can exhibit the spatial-temporal manifestation of a wave?

Cocoa Beware

In an eternal state, the only thing I can think of that might help you stay sane is if eventually, you manage to forget everything you've ever experienced after a certain amount of time.

But that's just really a strange and impractical situation to speculate on anyways. In truth I guess no one knows what it might be like to be immortal. Anyone seen the Highlander? Those guys seemed well adjusted enough.

Colanth

Quote from: "Cocoa Beware"In an eternal state, the only thing I can think of that might help you stay sane is if eventually, you manage to forget everything you've ever experienced after a certain amount of time.
You don't need to live forever to forget things.  Based on what I can remember now, if I lived to be even 1,000 I'd have very little memory of the 21st century.  (No worries about the 20th - I have enough trouble remembering it now.)

Alias

Quote from: "entropy"

I know what the nature of water is - it's melting point, boiling point, density, etc. - and how a wave can appear as a spatial-temporal manifestation consistent with physical laws yet not be separate from the whole body of water. I don't know what the nature of "the one" is and how there can appear to be different spatial-temporal manifestations - "expressing as many" - of a whole that you refer to as "the one". Could you explain the nature of "the one" in a way like we can explain the nature of water (what are its properties) and could you explain how "the one" can exhibit spatial-temporal manifestations like we can explain, using physical laws, how a big body of water can exhibit the spatial-temporal manifestation of a wave?

Let everything be as it is, i call it the ocean, the one.
Waves comes and goes in the ocean, i am so and so, mind.
You see your self as a separated wave when you identify your self with mind.
You are not the ocean or the wave.
You are water, i am.
Jesus said, deny your self.
Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.
Everyone seems to know who they are as they express i am so and so but it is mind and mind comes and goes.
It is nice with identity but it is also demanding resources, it makes us fight about it.

Plu

Cute poetry, but still meaningless drivel.

Alias

Quote from: "Plu"Cute poetry, but still meaningless drivel.

It is nothing to understand for the mind so the mind see it as meaningless drivel.

Plu

That seems about right, yeah. Nobody in their right mind would make anything of that.

Fidel_Castronaut

It is nothing to understand for the mind so the mind see it as meaningless drivel.

More nonsense.

Verbose irrelevencies designed to obscure the idea being proposed is a waste of everyone's time.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

Colanth

It is nothing to understand for the mind
And since the mind is the only place life on Earth can understand anything, it's nothing to understand at all.  Not even cute poetry, just nonsense.  At least most religious nonsense sounds as if it means something - yours doesn't have even that.

Alias

Quote from: "Colanth"

It is nothing to understand for the mind
And since the mind is the only place life on Earth can understand anything, it's nothing to understand at all.  Not even cute poetry, just nonsense.  At least most religious nonsense sounds as if it means something - yours doesn't have even that.

Thank you, it is about nothing and mind can not accept it, therefor it talks about nonsense as soon as it can not accept that there is nothing to understand.
Put it in context of why we dont have peace, because we identify our self with body and mind.
It drives us to understand what does not need to be understood, that what we are as we are.
The wave/body comes from ocean/nature, i prefer the parable though we understand water in the parable better then the many names that has been given to what we are.

Colanth

Quote from: "Alias"Thank you, it is about nothing and mind can not accept it, therefor it talks about nonsense as soon as it can not accept that there is nothing to understand.
Evidently you're not intelligent enough to understand.

If the mind can't understand it, there IS NOTHING to understand.

Making up sentences that have no meaning doesn't make you look superior, it makes you look infantile.