News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

In the recent debacle with James Gunn being fired by disney from the guardians of the galaxy 3 production, for some 'offensive' tweets he said 10 year ago, this was the response the cast and crew of GOTG gave.

A little thing called forgiveness, its not just a religious thing.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on July 30, 2018, 07:51:42 PM
In the recent debacle with James Gunn being fired by disney from the guardians of the galaxy 3 production, for some 'offensive' tweets he said 10 year ago, this was the response the cast and crew of GOTG gave.

I hope this doesn't fuck up the Guardians movies.  A lot depends on the director, who can make or break the success of the franchise.  I don't know what he said 10 years ago, so I can't comment from that perspective.

Baruch

Death to anyone who isn't Mahatma Gandhi or MLK!

The puritans can start with their own executions.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

But how much clout do the actors really have on the studio?  I couldn't say, but hopefully this changes things the court of public opinion, which Disney apparently seems beholden to despite its massive power.  The best case scenario is that Disney sees which way the wind is blowing and reverses its decision.  The worst case scenario, our universe is resting in a false vacuum and near-instantly annihilates itself tomorrow.

Blackleaf

Who the fuck dug ten years into his Twitter account just to find something to be offended by? You know how much can change in ten years? Ten years ago, I was a Conservative Christian who put the Bible over human rights. Does anyone here care what I posted on Facebook back then?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 31, 2018, 01:50:30 AM
Who the fuck dug ten years into his Twitter account just to find something to be offended by? You know how much can change in ten years? Ten years ago, I was a Conservative Christian who put the Bible over human rights. Does anyone here care what I posted on Facebook back then?

Death to everyone, for the non PC crayon drawings from first grade ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Exactly, people change, they grow up and mature. Hell you could make a fucking Disney movie with that theme. But Disney won't adhere to their own sentiment.

This is what happens when you let corporate monoliths like this take over.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on July 30, 2018, 08:00:28 PM
I don't know what he said 10 years ago, so I can't comment from that perspective.
I sometimes don't know what I said ten minutes ago.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 31, 2018, 06:19:42 AM
I sometimes don't know what I said ten minutes ago.

We all get that way, eventually ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Well, I did look up some of the information, and read some of (possibly most of) the tweets under fire.  They fall under the column of inappropriate.  But I agree that people change overtime.  There are things in my past I deeply regret, even today while understanding that what really counts is what I do from here on.

I understand this came out of FOX News.  Aside from being ultra conservative, they are still the media, and they love this kind of shit because it gets attention.  And they love to talk about how awful other people are, while glorifying themselves as models of righteousness.  Do I dare say the words?  Virtue signaling.

My interest is more petty.  I don't want to miss out what creative things he might produce in the future.  He's a unique and interesting story teller.  And I think he should continue.  He spoke inappropriate words, but at least he hasn't been accused of grabbing the cunt of a woman who happens to be sitting next to him on a plane, or barging into women's dressing rooms, because he owns the hotel.

Hydra009

Who the fuck dug ten years into his Twitter account just to find something to be offended by?
Right wing snowflakes.  The OG crybullies.  This op was done by Daily Caller culture warriors because they got triggered when Sean Gunn maligned God-Emperor Trump online.

trdsf

I care more about the rampaging hypocrisy -- getting more worked up over what a movie director tweeted ten years ago rather than what a sociopathic wanna-be dictator tweeted ten minutes ago.  Which one is more likely to really ruin real people's lives?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Munch

Quote from: trdsf on July 31, 2018, 10:31:30 AM
I care more about the rampaging hypocrisy -- getting more worked up over what a movie director tweeted ten years ago rather than what a sociopathic wanna-be dictator tweeted ten minutes ago.  Which one is more likely to really ruin real people's lives?

Its how the media twists it and gunn was honest about what he said back then. This worked in the ones who spread the info now's favor, and Disney cared more about social public image then real integrity

aitm

ah the world of apologies.  60 year old me can apologize for 20 year old me,,but 20 year old me would never consider it....so it is a real apology from "you"?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Munch

Quote from: aitm on July 31, 2018, 07:20:13 PM
ah the world of apologies.  60 year old me can apologize for 20 year old me,,but 20 year old me would never consider it....so it is a real apology from "you"?

isn't that like saying nobody ever can grow and learn and change? Pretty certain theres plenty of people on this site who grew out of what they believed like religion or politics.