News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

etienne

Quote from: Baruch on March 11, 2017, 09:41:45 AM
Buddha says ... save yourselves ... and don't send me any money.  Japanese Buddhist say ... if you meet the Buddha along the way, kill him!  We are what we are, as the sum of the good and bad experiences we have had.  Of course everyone starts out, lives, and dies as a unique being.  Actually faith and prayer do work, even the bogus kind.  You simply don't know how to appreciate the bogus ... yet.

Yes, growing up, if you started out Catholic, and end up non-Catholic ... is hard (so I have observed in others).  I expect the same with people who have moved on from Islam.  First you escape the Middle Ages into Tomorrowland ... but once there for awhile, you find out the future isn't what you hoped it would be.  There is no rest for the wicked, and we are all wicked.
Faith is nothing and prayer is nothing.  There is no gawd, remember?  "I am sending you my prayers".  Translation:  "I am DOING nothing for you".
The Revolution does not fall like an apple when it is ripe:  you have to MAKE it fall...

SGOS

Quote from: etienne on March 11, 2017, 10:26:53 AM
A superb movie re musicians:
August Rush  5/5
It's surprising more people don't talk about that one.  It's been around for a long time, and it's very good. 9/10
Another seldom mentioned oldie is Searching for Bobby Fischer. 9/10

etienne

Quote from: SGOS on March 11, 2017, 11:13:42 AM
It's surprising more people don't talk about that one.  It's been around for a long time, and it's very good. 9/10
Another seldom mentioned oldie is Searching for Bobby Fischer. 9/10
I saw that one years ago, it was excellent.
The Revolution does not fall like an apple when it is ripe:  you have to MAKE it fall...

Baruch

Yes, too much chess does bad things to your brain ;-(  But unlike video games (and vidiots) you actually have to use your imagination more.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 11, 2016, 08:39:57 AM
Can't be a general observation. I wrote a few posts about how idiotic the general 'criticism' people come up with 'against' these movie tradition every time one comes out.

I also put a laughing icon up there too. Hmph.  :snooty:

My post was a general observation.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on March 12, 2017, 09:02:44 AM
Yes, too much chess does bad things to your brain ;-(  But unlike video games (and vidiots) you actually have to use your imagination more.
Chess is beyond my imagination.  I look at guys playing chess and think about their moves, and in the end, I don't have a clue what they are doing.  I don't see strategy, or why one move is better than another.  About the only thing that registers is when one guy takes a chess piece from his opponent.  This seems like a good thing.  I know it's not the object of the game, but I just can't think of anything better to do.

Then there's always that moment in every chess movie where one guy dramatically knocks over his king 14 moves before the end of the game because he knows he has been beaten.  Hell, I'd knock my king over before I even move my first pawn, just to save myself an hour of agony.  Why do they knock over their king?  How do they know that their brilliant opponent will not make an accidental bone headed move that will turn the board in their favor?  See?  I don't even understand that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Strategy games require serious thought.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

I like chess--always have.  Don't play often and am not all that good.  But fun anyway.  And I love video games of the rpg (nonlinear) and strategy games.  And I like them for much the same reasons I like chess.  There are a multitude on ways to win--or lose.  Call me a vidiot, don't care.  I simply like playing them and so I will.  So there! ;)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Mike-sahib, how will you ever become a raja if you don't conquer your neighbors?  How will you win a battle without forts and elephants (rooks and knights)?  You will never be able to accumulate a nice harem (babes) and have a fun time at this rate!  Chess comes from India ... stick that in your hooka and smoke it ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on March 12, 2017, 12:19:02 PM
Mike-sahib, how will you ever become a raja if you don't conquer your neighbors?  How will you win a battle without forts and elephants (rooks and knights)?  You will never be able to accumulate a nice harem (babes) and have a fun time at this rate!  Chess comes from India ... stick that in your hooka and smoke it ;-)
Yeah, I realize chess came from India.  But that's okay, for I've conquered India quite a few times in Civ V and VI; so now I control the source of chess. :))
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

etienne

Speaking of Chinese, I used to have a thing for Chinese checkers, until that day I lost all my marbles and realized it had been a Jewish Globalist Banker conspiracy all along:

Baruch

I see that Yellow, Black and Green haven't been allowed to make any moves ... are the Proletariat?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

etienne

Quote from: Baruch on March 12, 2017, 04:14:40 PM
I see that Yellow, Black and Green haven't been allowed to make any moves ... are the Proletariat?
I blame it on the Jewish Globalist Communist Bankers.  And I hate to see a perfectly good cutting board go to waste.

etienne

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 12, 2017, 01:14:07 PM
Yeah, I realize chess came from India.  But that's okay, for I've conquered India quite a few times in Civ V and VI; so now I control the source of chess. :))
I don't think they are conquered yet.  This guy started up a Hindu sandwich shop just down the street here in 'Murica.  Calls it, "New Deli"...

SGOS

Quote from: etienne on March 12, 2017, 02:15:33 PM
Speaking of Chinese, I used to have a thing for Chinese checkers, until that day I lost all my marbles and realized it had been a Jewish Globalist Banker conspiracy all along:

I used to play that with my grandmother.  I don't think she played any other games.  I can't remember how to play it, though.  It couldn't have been that hard.  I was only four.