News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 23, 2024, 02:12:10 AMThat was my intro to Final Fantasy.  It was incredibly confusing, to say the least.  I basically pieced together that Cloud had killed Jehova or whatever in an earlier show or game and those guys were her henchmen, trying to bring her back.  That and the rain is sickening people somehow, though they seem to just wallow in it instead of doing something about it.

Oh, jeez. What an introduction to this universe. The tone of the movie is pretty different from the games. I'd recommend giving Remake a look, if you're interested.

I don't think it's the rain that spreads the Stigma. I think it's just a sickness in the Lifestream, caused by Sephiroth, whose mind just refused to die. You're correct about Jenova, though. She is a shapeshifting alien lifeform who used a previous planet she had conquered to crash into Gaia. The Shinra company discovered her body and mistook her for a Cetra, the ancient race of humans with natural magic powers (others have to equip materia to use magic). Shinra then had this bright idea to inject Jenova's cells into people to turn them into super soldiers, called...Soldiers. Not very creative, I know. Sephiroth was their most successful Soldier, having been implanted with Jenova's cells while he was still in the embryonic stage. While Jenova is dangerous, Sephiroth is actually the main antagonist, because he figures out his will is strong enough to control not only Jenova, but all other Soldiers as well. He uses Jenova like a tool, although he affectionately refers to her as his mother.

As you can see, the series has a lot of lore. It's explained pretty organically in the game over time, but it's a lot to take it all at once. The movie assumes you know this stuff already.

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 23, 2024, 02:12:10 AMCloud is sad and angsty, but eventually he gets his head in the game and fights, with the most ridiculous air combo I've ever seen in my life.  It'd be tough to pull off that stunt on the moon.

Physics don't really apply in this world. It's basically a Shonen anime in video game form. In the original game, Cloud fell off the upper plate of Midgar, through the roof of a church, and into a bed of flowers and survived somehow. The exact distance the upper plate rests above ground level seems inconsistent between games, but uh...

Yeah, it was pretty fucking high.

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 23, 2024, 02:12:10 AMI could get more out of it if I had played the original game, but iirc in those games, summon spells are essentially magical nukes rather than you know, summoned beings that stick around for a while and follow basic commands or follow their own will.  Summons are summons, not evocations!

That's true in the original game. They were basically hard hitting spells with some cool animations, and they could only be used a limited number of times per battle, depending on what level the materia is. In Remake, however, the summons do stick around for a while and fight on their own. You can also issue commands to them. However, they come with a new limitation that they can only be used against powerful enemies. Mainly bosses.

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 23, 2024, 02:12:10 AMThat and I have literally no idea how the technology works in that setting.  People get around in Akira-like bikes or some big deviant-art-looking canine or just walk, I guess.  And then they fight people/beasts/dragons/gods by hitting them with some big-ass 50-pound sword and/or shoot them with guns and/or just kick them, which I guess works equally well.

FFVII's world is a high-fantasy setting mixed with almost steampunk-like technology. They have old fashioned looking vehicles mixed in with some sci-fi robots and stuff. I think Mako energy is used as a general energy source, like a combination of electricity and petroleum. The "canine" you're referring to is probably Red XIII, AKA Nanaki, and he's a sentient beast capable of speech. Even the party found him weird when they first met him, so he's not even normal in their world. People don't typically ride animals other than Chocobo, those giant (usually yellow) birds. The cat-shaped Cait Sith (an AI in a toy body) was just riding on Nanaki because his usual robot mount wasn't around for some unexplained reason. Both Nanaki and Cait Sith are friends of Cloud.

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 23, 2024, 02:12:10 AMAnd the outfits are strange to put it mildly.  It's like someone combined Bayonetta with Devil May Cry and then had a blind fashion designer make it while under duress.

FFVII is pretty mild when it comes to Final Fantasy clothing. lol

This is Lulu. She has a dress made out of belts.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Unbeliever

I'm currently watching a movie that I saw about 30 years ago, at a friend's place. It's probably the most horrid, gory movie I've ever seen!
While I was watching it with my buddy, he kept feeding me fish, sausages and such, I guess to see how long before I made a mess all over his floor and whatever else wasn't covered up. Lucky for both of us that I have a cast iron stomach! 🤣
The movie is called Dead Alive, about a guy who's mother gets bitten by a Sumatran "rat-monkey" and gets sick, dies, but doesn't stay dead. She becomes a zombie and starts killing (and eating) most of the people around, and turning them into zombies.
It's truly hilarious, even if it is very hard to watch!
Maybe the best line, delivered by the local priest, is "I kick arse for the Lord!" 🤣
Unfortunately, those were his last words. 🙏
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

I see now that Dead Alive (also called Braindead) was directed by Peter Jackson, who also did LOTR and The Hobit.
I notice that he did another film, called Meet the Feebles, which I plan to watch tomorrow. I watched a bit of it, but I'm getting sleepy, so it'll have to wait.
God Not Found

the_antithesis

Unbeliever

Yeah, I heard about that one, too, and I do, indeed, intend to check it out.
God Not Found

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 01, 2024, 01:10:34 AMI see now that Dead Alive (also called Braindead) was directed by Peter Jackson, who also did LOTR and The Hobit.
I notice that he did another film, called Meet the Feebles, which I plan to watch tomorrow. I watched a bit of it, but I'm getting sleepy, so it'll have to wait.

Ah yes, braindead.
My older brother had that film and swore by it.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Unbeliever

Did he swear by it, or swear at it? 🤣
God Not Found

Cassia

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 01, 2024, 01:27:14 PMDid he swear by it, or swear at it? 🤣
The original night of the living dead gave me some excellent nightmares as did the shining and also my first communion.

Gawdzilla Sama

The original Night of the Living Dead was a homebrew low budget movie that had me chewing at the restraints. My gf loved it, so I sat through it.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

I guess my favorite zombie movie was Life Force. Totally awesome!
God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 01, 2024, 05:57:49 PMI guess my favorite zombie movie was Life Force. Totally awesome!
Mathilda May was HOT.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

I saw Ordinary Angels with a friend as a quid pro quo to watch Dune 2 later on.  I think there was some tabasco in the popcorn, which explains why I teared up a lot.  Chris Pratt was really great in this one.  He has some range.  I could barely even tell it was him.

Gawdzilla Sama

Don't do tear-jerkers. Have fun.
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

This Meet the Feebles movie is pretty weird. Anyone ever heard of "bunnylingus"? 🤔
God Not Found