News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Too Big To Fail is an old movie I missed at the time.  The Big Short actually covered the banking failure with a lot more clarity.  But "Too Big" did capture the government bungling and the banks ability to manipulate the government into saving them.

We have been told, the banks were too big to fail, and the movie did not argue that issue.  When it first happened I trusted the government, because they told me the world would collapse if the banks were not saved, but later I realized that I had no reason to believe that, and a few reasons to believe it was just a new banking scam to fix the first scam.  The failure was due to deregulation that started decades earlier. The housing collapse started under Bush, and the problem fell into Obama's lap, who in response, filled his inner circle with advisers, who were all part of the banking system that came up with the worthless bonds that collapsed when people started losing their homes, and then the banks managed to sell a bailout (only for the banks) as a remedy, <surprise, surprise>.

Not all the banks needed a bailout and a few would have survived on their own, and the banks took the money and paid themselves bonuses with it.  This is well known, but no administration has dealt with it. I don't know if I understand the bailout correctly, but getting accurate information from banks or the government is never going to happen. Even the movie portrayed confusion and panic, but didn't support or deny my suspicions.  Economics is not science.  It is political, and politics is not science.  Economics is the domain of talking heads and mostly propaganda.  Not that economics doesn't affect us all.  Economics is like religion and affects us all even when it's just propaganda.

Cassia

Quote from: SGOS on August 06, 2023, 06:54:39 AMToo Big To Fail is an old movie I missed at the time.  The Big Short actually covered the banking failure with a lot more clarity.  But "Too Big" did capture the government bungling and the banks ability to manipulate the government into saving them.

We have been told, the banks were too big to fail, and the movie did not argue that issue.  When it first happened I trusted the government, because they told me the world would collapse if the banks were not saved, but later I realized that I had no reason to believe that, and a few reasons to believe it was just a new banking scam to fix the first scam.  The failure was due to deregulation that started decades earlier. The housing collapse started under Bush, and the problem fell into Obama's lap, who in response, filled his inner circle with advisers, who were all part of the banking system that came up with the worthless bonds that collapsed when people started losing their homes, and then the banks managed to sell a bailout (only for the banks) as a remedy, <surprise, surprise>.

Not all the banks needed a bailout and a few would have survived on their own, and the banks took the money and paid themselves bonuses with it.  This is well known, but no administration has dealt with it. I don't know if I understand the bailout correctly, but getting accurate information from banks or the government is never going to happen. Even the movie portrayed confusion and panic, but didn't support or deny my suspicions.  Economics is not science.  It is political, and politics is not science.  Economics is the domain of talking heads and mostly propaganda.  Not that economics doesn't affect us all.  Economics is like religion and affects us all even when it's just propaganda.
Indeed. The bail-out aftermath is disgusting. I think that BS really helped bring on the MAGA crap we have today.

I generally did the opposite of the current market. I admit it is mentally challenging to buy when everyone is selling, and prices are still dropping. I bought a rental house when the real estate market crashed back in 2008. Paid $40K cash for a small but tight house and am slowly "selling" it to some young family members for pennies on the dollar. They are so grateful, given how their friends are struggling. Zillow has it at 260K now. I am officially older, lol and I have much more risk aversion. In fact, I am heavily into fixed income investments now, something I never thought I would do. Hey, a 5% CD or bond is nothing to sneeze at.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on August 06, 2023, 08:09:26 AMHey, a 5% CD or bond is nothing to sneeze at.
That's what my dad does.  Steady income.

SGOS

I have most of my extra money in iBonds, and I just stashed a bunch more in those 5% CDs, which mature on Jan 5 when the Treasury will let me buy another iBond. I have a mutual fund, which isn't doing well at the moment.

Unbeliever

I've just watched, on YouTube, a movie that I saw decades ago and forgot how great it was. The Adventures of Baron Munchauson is maybe the stupidest, most ridiculous, FUNNIEST movie I've ever seen! If you haven't seen it I highly recommend that you do so at your earliest convenience. You'll be very glad you did.
Robin Williams as the King of the Moon is my favorite part, but the rest of it is awesome as well.
I give it 3 thumbs up! 🤣
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Have you ever seen the silent version?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

No, I didn't even know that there was a silent version.
God Not Found

the_antithesis

People tend to be quiet about it.

Gawdzilla Sama

Watching "The Fifth Element" and pondering "slightly greasy solar atoms."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

The other day I saw a sequel to Hellboy. It was very good, especially since it had Mila Jovovich playing the Queen of Blood. And she's still perfect! 😍
God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

I've been wondering about that one. I'll have to give it a look.
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

I definitely think it's worth watching, I expect you'll enjoy it a lot. It's absolutely full of action and drama.  🤠
God Not Found

Unbeliever

I just watched a mad mad mad mad madcap movie on YouTube called It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World!
I'd never seen it before, and I had loads of fun watching it!

🤣
God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on August 08, 2023, 08:01:18 PMI just watched a mad mad mad mad madcap movie on YouTube called It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World!
I'd never seen it before, and I had loads of fun watching it!

🤣
My brother and I saw it in the converted storefront movie theater in the one-horse one-stoplight town I grew up in. We tried telling the 'rents about it but were laughing so hard they gave up and went to see the late showing.

I recommend the gas station scene!
PZ Myers

the_antithesis