News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Yeah, I really liked that scene, though I'm kinda iffy about everyone being so spring-loaded at a moment's notice, especially while drunk.  Apparently, those beers were spiked with IDGAF juice mixed with "I hope a MF would" pills.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gawdzilla Sama

I liked Guardians III. The mob is cool when they can't get along. Rocket finally got his backstory.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Ant Man III Quantumania was pretty good. In my mind, better than anything since the final episode of Infinity Wars, but the quantum realm created by Disney wasn't like any quantum realm I've ever heard of. But the movie did have the Marvel feel from back when Stan Lee was still around.

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on May 26, 2023, 03:39:11 PMAnt Man III Quantumania was pretty good. In my mind, better than anything since the final episode of Infinity Wars, but the quantum realm created by Disney wasn't like any quantum realm I've ever heard of. But the movie did have the Marvel feel from back when Stan Lee was still around.

I've heard such conflicting opinions about this movie. I haven't been keeping up with MCU stuff lately. It's just way too much. I hear they're going to slowing down with that stuff now, which is a relief. Quality over quantity would be nice.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Not a fan of any Antman movie. I'll give it a shot when it's free-ish.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on May 26, 2023, 03:39:11 PMAnt Man III Quantumania was pretty good. In my mind, better than anything since the final episode of Infinity Wars
*coughs in Wakanda Forever and Multiverse of Madness and the third Spider-Man movie* but yeah, it's definitely better than most.

Quotethe quantum realm created by Disney wasn't like any quantum realm I've ever heard of.
Which quantum realms have you heard of?  Because this is the only movie I can recall to explore the sub-sub-atomic.  I agree that a LOT of artistic license was taken, but since we have very little idea what's going on at that level, it's a fertile area for wild speculation and just throwing spaghetti at the wall, so to speak.

QuoteBut the movie did have the Marvel feel from back when Stan Lee was still around.
Agreed.

Hydra009

My Little Mermaid

Of course, the cartoon version is a classic and nothing can compare, so I won't.  The live action version was decently-made and followed the cartoon very closely, I think.  It's been a while since I've seen the cartoon.  I think the only huge deviation is that we see husbando Eric's family and learn a lot more about him.  I don't remember his backstory being fleshed out in the cartoon.  Flounder was pretty fuggly-looking in the live action.  Sebastian was okay, but not as expressive as his cartoon version.

As far as acting, Ursala and King Triton really steal the show.  Especially Ursala.  Holy moley, they're acting their hearts out for a movie that will probably get buried under successive remakes.

Ngl, one scene had me reacting like this:

All in all, I'd say it's a fun time.

And before I forget about the "controversy", yes Ariel is black in this one.  Roughly 50% of the cast is black.  My personal headcanon is that this island is located somewhere in the Caribbean (as opposed to near Denmark in the cartoon) so the racial composition makes logical sense.  There are tons of tropical species present, manatees, the weather seems warm, the water is crystal clear and not particularly cold, etc.  Lots of circumstantial evidence pointing in that direction, imo.

Blackleaf

I think they made Ariel black knowing it would stir up controversy. It's free advertising. The people who hate the Disney remake movies anyway will complain, spreading the word, and people who like the movies will hear about it and go see it. Some will go see it BECAUSE they know the racists hate it.

I don't care either way. I've been over this Disney remake era for a long time. Even if Ariel looked exactly like her animated counterpart, I still wouldn't go see it. I'd be more interested in seeing it if it were based on the original story instead.
--Fulke Greville--

drunkenshoe

I hate Disney, and I specifically hate the little mermaid movies because I personally think it is a pedophilic figure. What's that? A child, an adult? It's a sexualised child. It's the first one probably. Children don't look like that, they look like the characters in Miyazaki movies. We all did look like that as kids.

But unfortunately, it is a beloved cartoon figure, nobody will stop them from watching any of it. And there was a video compilation showing black little girls watching black Ariel and their face light up, they astonishingly say things like 'oh my god she is black!' and so on. I think I've even heard something like 'she is like me!', not sure. They looked so happy about seeing it, I felt anger. They couldn't let kids have that without poisoning it. So from that point of view I'm glad they made it, and that every racist piece of shit hate it. I sincerely hope, they drown in their own vomit and die voicing that much hate about a children's movie character. Who cares even it's a real character, but then it's a mermaid. A fucking mermaid! They are so fucked up, they can't let kids have fun with a movie made for kids. Why? Because it is now black, but before it was white. oh wow, a black mermaid, where is the world going to.

Because of stuff like this I will always support this kind of woke up of characters. Honestly, the way I see it the whole thing is about 'It is ours, how dare you take it from us', nothing more. Even over here white skinned racist piece of shits say so horrible things, it is physically nauseating. It's that bad.

Black, Asian elves, sorceresses... They should do it more. I don't care what's the 'original'. It's been clear from the beginning actually. It is stupid to think there could be an enlightenment without forcing people. If you don't poke the eye with this kind of stuff, they will never accept it or get used to it. It will never get normalised. Yeah sure, it stirs 'controversy'-lovely term to cover what really goes on- 'they hate it more' blah blah... They can hate it all they want. It's a matter of time. As generations pass, it is going to be the most normal thing in the end. It seems this is the only way, considering the level of humanity in general.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

the_antithesis

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 27, 2023, 02:12:36 AMI don't care either way. I've been over this Disney remake era for a long time. Even if Ariel looked exactly like her animated counterpart, I still wouldn't go see it. I'd be more interested in seeing it if it were based on the original story instead.

I'd be more interested if they made a movie out of "Prudent Hans"

Blackleaf

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 02, 2023, 10:57:44 AMI hate Disney, and I specifically hate the little mermaid movies because I personally think it is a pedophilic figure. What's that? A child, an adult? It's a sexualised child. It's the first one probably. Children don't look like that, they look like the characters in Miyazaki movies. We all did look like that as kids.

But unfortunately, it is a beloved cartoon figure, nobody will stop them from watching any of it. And there was a video compilation showing black little girls watching black Ariel and their face light up, they astonishingly say things like 'oh my god she is black!' and so on. I think I've even heard something like 'she is like me!', not sure. They looked so happy about seeing it, I felt anger. They couldn't let kids have that without poisoning it. So from that point of view I'm glad they made it, and that every racist piece of shit hate it. I sincerely hope, they drown in their own vomit and die voicing that much hate about a children's movie character. Who cares even it's a real character, but then it's a mermaid. A fucking mermaid! They are so fucked up, they can't let kids have fun with a movie made for kids. Why? Because it is now black, but before it was white. oh wow, a black mermaid, where is the world going to.

Because of stuff like this I will always support this kind of woke up of characters. Honestly, the way I see it the whole thing is about 'It is ours, how dare you take it from us', nothing more. Even over here white skinned racist piece of shits say so horrible things, it is physically nauseating. It's that bad.

Black, Asian elves, sorceresses... They should do it more. I don't care what's the 'original'. It's been clear from the beginning actually. It is stupid to think there could be an enlightenment without forcing people. If you don't poke the eye with this kind of stuff, they will never accept it or get used to it. It will never get normalised. Yeah sure, it stirs 'controversy'-lovely term to cover what really goes on- 'they hate it more' blah blah... They can hate it all they want. It's a matter of time. As generations pass, it is going to be the most normal thing in the end. It seems this is the only way, considering the level of humanity in general.

I Googled it. Apparently, Ariel is 16, and her prince is 18. That's not an unacceptably big difference is it? It's better than Snow White, at least, who was 14 in her movie. I don't remember Ariel being very sexualized in the original movie, unless you just think bikinis are inherently sexy.

If you're referring to other things in the movie, the priest's "boner" turned out to be his knee. It's more obvious when you see the character from a different angle. The priest is short and has stubby legs. Still, Disney "corrected" this is future releases, so his knee wasn't bent in that scene. The phallic imagery on the box art is real, though. That slipped by.
--Fulke Greville--

Unbeliever

I'm looking forward to The Last Voyage of the Demeter, but I have to wait until August. 👹
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

The Flash was not fun or interesting to me at all. It's another of the most recent superhero movies that won't make it to my private collection. And I'm sick of the plot where heroes wonder around the multiverse encountering strange characters and situations.  It's either a failing formula, or a formula the writers don't know what to do with.  Must be the writing. Years ago, Stargate SG1 had several episodes that visited the multiverse, and they were some of the better episodes.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on June 29, 2023, 05:45:11 PMAnd I'm sick of the plot where heroes wonder around the multiverse encountering strange characters and situations.
That's been a thing for a looong time - The Odyssey, Sulliver's Travels, Alice in Wonderland, etc.  To be honest, it's pretty much how most stories do worldbuilding.  If you've ever wondered why movies have the trope of the protagonist on a journey to a distant land to find some macguffin in order to defeat X'anathar the Evil (he's the evil guy), that's why.  It's overdone and hackey sometimes, but it's how you keep the plot moving.

QuoteStargate SG1 had several episodes that visited the multiverse, and they were some of the better episodes.
That's because they had the time to properly build up anticipation/dread and drip-feed their new locales.  Other shows just whisk the hero away from one strange new world to another at a frenetic pace so the audience is more confused than intrigued.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 29, 2023, 06:18:30 PMSG1:.... That's because they had the time to properly build up anticipation/dread and drip-feed their new locales.  Other shows just whisk the hero away from one strange new world to another at a frenetic pace so the audience is more confused than intrigued.
Yes, yes.  That nails why and how they made it interesting. Usually one parallel dimension in the multiverse where they had to solve a specific problem and then return, rather than just skipping from one world to the next to view some oddity, and then on to another.  Making up odd worlds is not storytelling that I call great story telling.  It's like difference between taking a bus tour of London, or renting a loft and becoming part of the city, rather than just gawking at it from the outside.