Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Spoilers!

But yeah, the first half is super serious with lots of bickering and generally unpleasant (as opposed to the normal light-hearted bickering with moments of awesomeness) amidst absolutely disgusting scenery/props (that'll be fun for audiences who recently ate), and the second half is just the saddest stuff you'll ever see in a Marvel film.  We're talking Watership Down meets Section 731.  Subverted expectations are tight!

And the character arcs are kinda satisfying but not very satisfying.   No one has this mind-blowing arc or anything, every character just kinda moves on with their life.

Arc one: orphan kid becomes a galactic hero
Arc two: hero becomes godlike, gives it all up for his friends
Arc three: guy sobers up, gets some "me time" or something

Hydra009

I just figured out why I like the second movie so much - the final confrontation is basically the Dagoth Ur battle from Morrowind.

1) the hero is called to the lair of a villainous god
2) they talk frankly, with the villain attempting to win over the hero to his cause
3) the villain and hero ultimately reach an impasse
4) the hero attempts to destroy the villainous god to no avail (what a grand and intoxicating innocence)
5) the hero attacks the source of the villain's godlike power, instantly killing the villain along with his power.  The hero resists the temptation of godhood.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 12, 2023, 01:27:39 AMI just figured out why I like the second movie so much - the final confrontation is basically the Dagoth Ur battle from Morrowind.

1) the hero is called to the lair of a villainous god
2) they talk frankly, with the villain attempting to win over the hero to his cause
3) the villain and hero ultimately reach an impasse
4) the hero attempts to destroy the villainous god to no avail (what a grand and intoxicating innocence)
5) the hero attacks the source of the villain's godlike power, instantly killing the villain along with his power.  The hero resists the temptation of godhood.

Dagoth Ur didn't casually mention giving the player character's mother cancer, though. lol
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Guardians 3. Fun. Spinoffs pend.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 12, 2023, 09:07:08 AMDagoth Ur didn't casually mention giving the player character's mother cancer, though. lol
True, though he did casually mention his intent to invade the rest of the continent.  Potato, potatoe.

Unbeliever

You say potato, I say tomato. 🥸
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 12, 2023, 08:38:45 PMTrue, though he did casually mention his intent to invade the rest of the continent.  Potato, potatoe.

Bah. Who cares about them? Bunch of pricks anyway. lol

Did he say he wanted to invade all of Tamriel, though? I thought he just wanted to drive the empire out of Morrowind and turn it into an independent nation. Doesn't sound so bad, as long as you ignore all the xenophobia.

That and he may or may not have intended on spreading the Blight to turn the whole province into zombies. Not sure about that one. Seemed like he maybe considered it a form of evolution. And for the player character, it was. Makes the Nerevarine immortal and immune to common diseases. For most, it kinda sucked, though.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Guardians of the Galaxy III. Fun.
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 13, 2023, 02:42:36 AMDid he say he wanted to invade all of Tamriel, though?
Yes, it's towards the end of the dialogue when he allows you to ask him questions.  If you ask him his plans with the brass golem, he says that he'll "liberate" the island of Vvardenfell, then Morrowind, then the rest of Tamriel.

QuoteI thought he just wanted to drive the empire out of Morrowind and turn it into an independent nation.
That's what he says just prior to his conquer-the-continent speech.  Clearly, his goals are somewhat fluid.

QuoteThat and he may or may not have intended on spreading the Blight to turn the whole province into zombies. Not sure about that one.
Oh, that's intentional.  If you ask him what his plans are for the Heart of Lorkhan, he straight up tells you that the Blight storms are intentional and that in time, he'll expand it until it affects "every mortal in Tamriel".

At the end of the speech, even though he sometimes says that he only wants to drive the Empire from Morrowind, that's only part of it.  He has designs on the whole continent and every mortal in it and the whole "revolutionary" angle is just a smokescreen masking another would-be-conquerer.

Mr.Obvious

Druk

In english known as ´another round´.

Really good danish film, I think  starring Mads mikkelson as a high school teacher who, along with some friendly colleagues, decides to become permanently slightly intoxicated.

At times funny. At times sad.
Always a good watch.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

For my next film, I've decided to watch a more fun, light-hearted, and less violent film.  Thus, I chose Inglorious Basterds.

I think I might be a bit of a grammar nazi myself, because I loathe that particular misspelling eye dialect (an intentional error used to convey a poor education)

I loved Brad Pitt's odd accent, pretty much all the actors were great, excellent shot composition as well. 

Though I have to wonder at a lot of the plot - almost all the allied spies were fairly conspicuous and even a bad detective could ferret them out, the Basterds are especially conspicuous and it beggars belief that they could operate without discovery for any length of time, scheming out in the open in front of the SS was almost the dumbest thing I saw, second only to Hitler being awfully light on security and no one needing to use the loo during a long movie.  I know, I know, rule of cool, style over substance, Bellisario's Maxim.  Point taken.

Still, I enjoyed the best German villain since the one from Enemy at the Gates.  Quite a few surprises which caught me completely off guard.  Bravo.

Overall, I'd say it was good, if for no other reason that it allowed me to hear my favorite language spoken with flawless flair - Italian.  :P

Cassia

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 17, 2023, 09:40:38 PMFor my next film, I've decided to watch a more fun, light-hearted, and less violent film.  Thus, I chose Inglorious Basterds.

I think I might be a bit of a grammar nazi myself, because I loathe that particular misspelling eye dialect (an intentional error used to convey a poor education)

I loved Brad Pitt's odd accent, pretty much all the actors were great, excellent shot composition as well. 

Though I have to wonder at a lot of the plot - almost all the allied spies were fairly conspicuous and even a bad detective could ferret them out, the Basterds are especially conspicuous and it beggars belief that they could operate without discovery for any length of time, scheming out in the open in front of the SS was almost the dumbest thing I saw, second only to Hitler being awfully light on security and no one needing to use the loo during a long movie.  I know, I know, rule of cool, style over substance, Bellisario's Maxim.  Point taken.

Still, I enjoyed the best German villain since the one from Enemy at the Gates.  Quite a few surprises which caught me completely off guard.  Bravo.

Overall, I'd say it was good, if for no other reason that it allowed me to hear my favorite language spoken with flawless flair - Italian.  :P
That bar scene was intense.