News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassia

As soon as I detect that any social agenda has been subliminally embedded in a movie, I lose all interest. Don't try to sneak in some message unless that is the main point of the movie. It is just as cheesy as brand promotion was getting back in the 90s or when actors use the Oscar awards as some sort of platform to make a statement. It's not the correct venue and it turns me off.

Gawdzilla Sama

In "Repo Man" Our Hero eats straight out of a can labeled "FOOD". So you shouldn't watch that movie.

Anyway, what's wrong with seeing a Bud Light?  It actually happens IRL.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: the_antithesis on April 14, 2023, 12:54:27 AMGood god. You're the kind of guy who start watching TNG at season one.
I actually started with the pilot - Encounter at Farpoint.  I thought that was decent.  Back when Troy looked like a cheerleader, Riker was clean-shaven, and Q was combative and judgy.

The show kinda dragged a bit and nearly lost me, but the Borg got me hooked.

RIP Tasha Yar.  We hardly knew ye.

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 14, 2023, 07:06:07 AMAnyway, what's wrong with seeing a Bud Light?  It actually happens IRL.
Unlike me chilling at my apartment with a brewski, movies are productions seen by millions of people.  They're expected to tell a story and once in a while, they may have some artistic merit as well.  Excessive product placement essentially turns them into giant, feature-length commercials.  While some commercialization is expected just to offset the cost of the film, corporations not only advertise before and after a film, now they're essentially pasting themselves within the story of the show and being a part of the plotline.

This is the result:

Blackleaf

I wouldn't mind product placement if it was subtle, but god. It's so obvious when they do it. The can of Coke always has to have the name facing the camera. The movie has to stop and hold on the image of the product, to make sure we see it. It makes sense, they'd pay to be noticed, but it really takes you out of the experience when you're watching it.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

My living room has all kinds of product placement. IRL in action.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 14, 2023, 10:18:58 AMI actually started with the pilot - Encounter at Farpoint.  I thought that was decent.  Back when Troy looked like a cheerleader, Riker was clean-shaven, and Q was combative and judgy.

The show kinda dragged a bit and nearly lost me, but the Borg got me hooked.

RIP Tasha Yar.  We hardly knew ye.
I was disappointed that Worf kept getting his ass kicked. I thought he was supposed to be such a tough guy, but he seemed like such a woos. 🖖
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

the_antithesis

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 14, 2023, 11:49:32 AMI
I was disappointed that Worf kept getting his ass kicked. I thought he was supposed to be such a tough guy, but he seemed like such a woos. 🖖

Wuss, but yeah. The idea was to make the big bad look dangerous because he beat up Worf, but Worf always gets his ass kicked, so it don't really work.

Cassia

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 14, 2023, 11:21:13 AMMy living room has all kinds of product placement. IRL in action.
I get the real life set part, but when they are obviously selling product; I get enough of that everywhere else. It's sneaky as well. It was a 4-star movie to me, now it's just a three. Just waiting for top-40 music to become product ads as well and then I'd listen to it less than I do now but that's almost impossible.

Gawdzilla Sama

Explain "obviously selling", please.
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 14, 2023, 01:04:02 PMExplain "obviously selling", please.

Remember in The Walking Dead, when someone risked their life to get another character their favorite Crush soda?
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 14, 2023, 03:55:03 PMRemember in The Walking Dead, when someone risked their life to get another character their favorite Crush soda?
Never watched that idiocy. But is it better to create fake products for movies rather than reflect the real world? Asking for a friend.
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 14, 2023, 04:06:46 PMNever watched that idiocy. But is it better to create fake products for movies rather than reflect the real world? Asking for a friend.

If they liter the world in a natural way, then I don't care. It's just a problem when it's obvious. When they put extra focus on it, to make sure you noticed.
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Cassia