Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

the_antithesis

Hydra009

I actually want to see the Mario Bros movie now.

Fun fact: I was briefly subbed to Knight's Watch while they were covering the travesty of Game of Thrones season 8 because I thought they might have some sword-related insights but it was just the usual criticisms we all know by heart so it didn't exactly break new ground.

Then it covered some show I thought was actually really good and got great reviews and they slammed it for the most bizarre reasons which were very poorly supported (just looked it up, it was Loki and they complained that Loki was "emasculated" for showing remorse for his evil past and not being the cutthroat backstabbing type anymore.  A guy can change, jeez!), so I unsubbed.

I kinda hate to see channels spew this sort of uber negativity, often with clickbaity titles like "[movie] is the WORST movie EVER!" and often with the rainbow flag despite it not really having anything to do anything.  You know the drill: two genders, male and political, two races, white and political, two sexualities, straight and political.  Uggh.

It's one thing to review and critique stuff.  Even the most well-made show could still use some constructive criticism.  But just trashing a show because it didn't suit your tastes is lazy, petty, and more than a little bit entitled.  It really sucks to see a guy who actually has some smarts and insights into historical stuff sink so low when it comes to pop culture.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 10, 2023, 01:56:14 PM

I actually want to see the Mario Bros movie now.

Fun fact: I was briefly subbed to Knight's Watch while they were covering the travesty of Game of Thrones season 8 because I thought they might have some sword-related insights but it was just the usual criticisms we all know by heart so it didn't exactly break new ground.

Then it covered some show I thought was actually really good and got great reviews and they slammed it for the most bizarre reasons which were very poorly supported (just looked it up, it was Loki and they complained that Loki was "emasculated" for showing remorse for his evil past and not being the cutthroat backstabbing type anymore.  A guy can change, jeez!), so I unsubbed.

I kinda hate to see channels spew this sort of uber negativity, often with clickbaity titles like "[movie] is the WORST movie EVER!" and often with the rainbow flag despite it not really having anything to do anything.  You know the drill: two genders, male and political, two races, white and political, two sexualities, straight and political.  Uggh.

It's one thing to review and critique stuff.  Even the most well-made show could still use some constructive criticism.  But just trashing a show because it didn't suit your tastes is lazy, petty, and more than a little bit entitled.  It really sucks to see a guy who actually has some smarts and insights into historical stuff sink so low when it comes to pop culture.

The Shadiversity guys are insufferable alt-righters when it comes to their opinions on Western media. I like their videos covering medieval trivia, but they really should stick to what they know. And their alternative channel "KNIGHTS WATCH?" The self-proclaimed "guardians of Pop-Culture and fandom?" How pretentious.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

I've seen them make a few historical mistakes in their medieval videos as well, so I hadn't kept up with them - disappointing to see that they are even shittier than I remember.

Also... the Metatron has some pretty absolute shite historical takes, which is a shame when those two are amongst the premier "medieval equipment" channels.

Ahem... now for the reason I came here... to share my shit take...

The new Marvel movie looks absolute shit, and even the "omg wokeism!" crowd can be right once or twice - it looks like woke garbage, even if they have been wrong 99% of the time about other movies in that regard.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Blackleaf

You're referring to this? The title confused me. I was like, "What Marvel movie? There's a million of them." No, no. The Marvel movie...The Marvels.

Okay. Crappy movie title aside, this trailer looks... Eh. It exists. It doesn't look awful. It just doesn't hook me. I don't see the appeal. I don't really care about these characters. The idea of them switching places every time they use their powers is...interesting. I guess I want to know why that's happening, and what they do with it. But other than that, I guess I'll just wait to hear the reviews. I'll just have to be careful who I listen to, since we already know there's a certain group of people who will accuse it of being "woke," simply for having female leads.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

Yeah, that one.

It's the pr-campaign, the listening to the radio and hearing about how amazing it is to have an Arab lead in marvel, the cringe humor, the fact that blonde sexist is in it... it's all just... bleh.

I can over look that stuff when the movie doesn't also look meh, but don't have a shitty movie AND shitty intentions, that's just bad manners.

I hate it because it's cheap corporate pandering, they hate it because it's womenz... I guess we are kinda the same, but I'de like to think I have the moral high ground of the two at least.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

I dunno, calling it woke strikes me as a bit of a stretch.  I mean, it's just a team-up action movie that just happens to feature 3 women.  If they were male instead of female, I don't think anyone would call it woke.  If having women automatically makes a film woke, then a TON of movies are apparently woke.

Confession: I adore cosmic/space marvel stuff (Kree, Skrulls, Shi'ar, Guardians of the Galaxy, Thanos, Warlock, Nova Corps, Annihilus, Negative Zone, etc) - I love it to pieces.  So I'm super down to see that.  Plus, Captain Marvel seems to have been reworked in a positive way - and I think she'll be a lot more enjoyable for audiences in an ensemble role rather than a solo act.

It's possible that this movie is setting up Annihilation, which I am 9000% down for.  If and when Annihilation comes out and if it's any good at all, I'll probably watch it many times in theaters.

Unbeliever

Marvelous, simply marvelous! 👍🖖
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

the_antithesis

Why don't they make a movie about the real Captain Marvel?

Mr.Obvious

Didn't they?
I dunne, haven´t kept up with the superhero movies.
Became too much to keep track of. Especially when the series began.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

the_antithesis

Just kidding. Here's the original Marvel Family

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 13, 2023, 02:49:14 AMDidn't they?
I dunne, haven´t kept up with the superhero movies.
Became too much to keep track of. Especially when the series began.
For most of those movies, you can go in blind and be just fine.  Maybe miss an easter egg or two or be confused by a post-credits teaser at worst.  Only the big crossover and event movies are the ones that require some prep.  In that way, they're very similar to the comics.

There's a truly daunting number of comics out there.  I've seen people ask which comic they should start with first and it always struck me like asking which grape they should eat first out of a bunch.  Does it matter?  I started reading Iron Man when Iron Man was literally dead, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just sit down and enjoy or don't.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 13, 2023, 11:12:43 AMFor most of those movies, you can go in blind and be just fine.  Maybe miss an easter egg or two or be confused by a post-credits teaser at worst.  Only the big crossover and event movies are the ones that require some prep.  In that way, they're very similar to the comics.

There's a truly daunting number of comics out there.  I've seen people ask which comic they should start with first and it always struck me like asking which grape they should eat first out of a bunch.  Does it matter?  I started reading Iron Man when Iron Man was literally dead, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just sit down and enjoy or don't.

Well, I know its my personal problem. I´m an all or nothing kinda guy. And I want to know everything I can, before moving on.

It's also why I am reading Terry prattchets discworld in order.
Next book doesn't entire me as much as the others, and I need to order it still.  But I refuse to skip ahead with the Books I already have.

Pure personal problem
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 13, 2023, 12:30:05 PMWell, I know its my personal problem. I´m an all or nothing kinda guy. And I want to know everything I can, before moving on.

It's also why I am reading Terry prattchets discworld in order.
Next book doesn't entire me as much as the others, and I need to order it still.  But I refuse to skip ahead with the Books I already have.

Pure personal problem

Good god. You're the kind of guy who start watching TNG at season one.