News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 25, 2023, 08:43:17 AMDungeons and dragons: honor amongst thieves

Dumb but fun.
Better than any right for it to be.
If you are a dnd fan, you will probably enjoy.

Watched it with a few fellow dnd fans, and we had a blast.

So, how much of a fantasy Guardians of the Galaxy is it? Seems like what they were shooting for.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: the_antithesis on March 26, 2023, 11:14:38 PMSo, how much of a fantasy Guardians of the Galaxy is it? Seems like what they were shooting for.

You know, that works. But less Marvel inkoken. More dnd injokes
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Quote from: the_antithesis on March 26, 2023, 11:14:38 PMSo, how much of a fantasy Guardians of the Galaxy is it? Seems like what they were shooting for.
I would actually be 100% okay with that.  But only one goofball.  If they're all goofballs, it doesn't work.  One goofball, one smart alek paired with the mascot, one action heroine, and one boisterious bruiser.  Goofy, smart, serious, adorable, and loud/strong guy.  Perfect mix.

Gawdzilla Sama

Would a non DND person enjoy this? Asking for a friend.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

the_antithesis

Translate "inkoken" from Dutch to English
Dutch to English
inkoken
Translations

inkoken Verb (kook in; kookt in; kookte in; kookten in; ingekookt; )
        inkoken, (door koken dikker makenverdikkeninbindendoor koken verdikkenindikken)
            thicken, to Verb (thickens; thickened; thickening)
            concentrate, to Verb (concentrates; concentrated; concentrating)
            reduce, to Verb (reduces; reduced; reducing)
            condense, to Verb (condenses; condensed; condensing)
            boil down, to Verb (boils down; boiled down; boiling down)

Machine Translations

inkoken boil down gt
    inkoken boil down mst
    inkoken boil down gt

gt-Google Translate; mst-Microsoft Translate

Mr.Obvious

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 27, 2023, 10:55:35 AMWould a non DND person enjoy this? Asking for a friend.

Honestly, think being dnd-knowledgeable will increase the fun factor.
Without it, I wouldn't dare to recommend it if you are on a budget or if time constraints make you have to pick and choose which film you can go watch in theaters.
I found it pretty funny and pretty good overal. But it is not a brilliant masterpiece either.
Low expectations. No foreknowledge of the trailers. Watching it with likeminded nerdy friends. First cinema in over half a year. = great night.

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 27, 2023, 10:55:35 AMWould a non DND person enjoy this? Asking for a friend.
No, you have to fill out a character sheet in order to buy a ticket and you better calculate your thaco correctly!  And you can never break character or you'll be thrown out.  And yes, that includes bathroom breaks.

In all seriousness, D&D movies are mass-marketed so hard that I would be stunned if any part of that movie wasn't instantly recognizable by lay people. 

Dragons, dungeons, fighters, barbarians, rogues, wizards, fireball, etc - all these concepts are ubiquitous and pretty straight-forward.

I don't expect them to mention Vecna or the Far Realm or Warforged or anything like that, but I would be over the moon if they do.

Gawdzilla Sama

I'm  seventy-two, going on thirteen. I'll give it a shot. After Mr. Wicku!, of course.
PZ Myers

Cassia

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 27, 2023, 04:40:29 PMNo, you have to fill out a character sheet in order to buy a ticket and you better calculate your thaco correctly!  And you can never break character or you'll be thrown out.  And yes, that includes bathroom breaks.

In all seriousness, D&D movies are mass-marketed so hard that I would be stunned if any part of that movie wasn't instantly recognizable by lay people. 

Dragons, dungeons, fighters, barbarians, rogues, wizards, fireball, etc - all these concepts are ubiquitous and pretty straight-forward.

I don't expect them to mention Vecna or the Far Realm or Warforged or anything like that, but I would be over the moon if they do.

You know, there's a character in the Goblins online comic named "Thaco," and I'm only just now realizing where that name came from.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Unbeliever

Have any of you seen The Seven Faces of Doctor Lao? Tony Curtis plays several of the characters to perfection. 🤠
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

the_antithesis

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 08, 2023, 09:22:30 PMHave any of you seen The Seven Faces of Doctor Lao? Tony Curtis plays several of the characters to perfection. 🤠
Many years ago. Remember it positively.
PZ Myers