News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 14, 2023, 04:11:47 PMSully's avatar grew on the trip out from Earth, yes?

Sully's avatar was made for his brother, who died before the mission. They recruited Sully to avoid wasting the avatar.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 14, 2023, 06:41:01 PMSully's avatar was made for his brother, who died before the mission. They recruited Sully to avoid wasting the avatar.
True, but Sully said "Hey! They got BIG!" when he saw his avatar after they landed.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

Preamble

This movie had a rating of 48% with critics and 84% with audiences, so going into this was something of a risk.  And it made an underwhelming impression on Angry Joe and company - suffice it to say that buying a ticket was a risky move for me.

And I'm pleased to announce that it was a pretty solid 7.5/10 film.  Not the best MCU film by a long shot, but definitely worth your time.

Though I have to warn you, you have to understand both the other Ant-Man movies and the Loki TV show or you're going to be pretty lost on this one.  Also, it couldn't hurt to have a basic understanding of quantum mechanics (it references super basic stuff like Schrödinger's cat) and concept of the multiverse, specifically the MCU multiverse.  Suffice it to say that this movie is more geared towards comics geeks who already know this stuff than complete newbies.

The movie itself

The first act is mercifully short, and we get to the quantum world in short order.  And the quantum world is so gorgeous and trippy, it's nothing short of amazing.  It's like that famous scene in Doctor Strange spiraling through the multiverse but for much, much longer.  Everything is so strange yet beautiful, it's so interesting and imaginative - everything from the "people" to the landscape to seemingly background things are all so strange and unpredictable!  By far the strongest part of the movie and worth the price of admission in and of itself.

The plot...well it's pretty basic.  Not terrible, just pretty formulaic.  Let me know if you've seen this before - characters are thrust into a strange world, struggle to acclimatize, meet the Big Bad, gotta fetch a MacGuffin, then finally fight the Big Bad in the climax, etc.  My biggest gripe with this film is that it played it safe when it could've thrown us a HUGE curveball.  Very disappointing.

Also, while the MCU can make Vulture and Lizard and He Who Remains badass, nothing can make MODOK a viable silver screen character.  The movie would have been perfectly fine without him.  Better, probably.

He Who Remains was absolutely great in this movie, and I love all of his scenes.  And while I was disappointed that he didn't quite live up to the hype, he's still a huge force to be reckoned with and the ongoing main antagonist of the entire MCU.  People who have seen Loki or read the comics know what I'm talking about.  Those who don't...well imagine Doctor Who but evil and with a arsenal of future tech.  Arguably more of a threat than Thanos and that's without factoring in the ensuing instability of the timeline.  This guy reshapes reality in a way that makes The Snap look weak in comparison.  I can't wait to see what happens when stuff really gets chaotic.

Cassia

The Longest Day (1962, B.W.). Certainly, an epic film. The best parts for me were the Nazis' reactions in subtitles.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cassia on March 12, 2023, 10:47:30 PMThe Longest Day (1962, B.W.). Certainly, an epic film. The best parts for me were the Nazis' reactions in subtitles.
"Where are they headed?"

"FOR ME!!!"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Dungeons and dragons: honor amongst thieves

Dumb but fun.
Better than any right for it to be.
If you are a dnd fan, you will probably enjoy.

Watched it with a few fellow dnd fans, and we had a blast.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

I really, really want that movie to be good.  But from what little of seen, it seems like they were trying to make a comedy, but without decent jokes, which is a bit of a problem.

Stuff like "here's a complex puzzle that we have to solve to cross a bridge, I hope it doesn't fall down before I explain its intricate rules.  The bridge fell down.  Oooh noo."  *laugh track*

"We raised the dead to ask 5 questions, I hope I don't waste the questions.  Oops, I wasted the questions."  Oooh noo.  *laugh track*

I really, really hope that's not their best material, because sheesh.

Mr.Obvious

I didn't see any of the trailers or anything. Went in dark.
But I'll be honest: the graveyard scene got a good laughed out of me and my friends. We probably found it the best scene in the film.

Might not be your cup of tea, hydra. But I felt like it had heart. Having low expectations probably did help though.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Unbeliever

I've recently been watching movies on YouTube. Yesterday I saw one called The Magic Christian, which had nothing to do with religion (It was the name of a ship). It was about a very rich man (Peter Sellers) who "adopts" a homeless guy (Richard Starky aka Ringo Starr) and proceeds to show him that people will do anything for money.
An extremely surreal flick! 😎

Then I watched another Ringo Starr movie called Caveman, which also had Shelley Long. Now that was hilarious! 🤣
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

the_antithesis

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 25, 2023, 11:19:26 AMI've recently been watching movies on YouTube. Yesterday I saw one called The Magic Christian, which had nothing to do with religion (It was the name of a ship). It was about a very rich man (Peter Sellers) who "adopts" a homeless guy (Richard Starky aka Ringo Starr) and proceeds to show him that people will do anything for money.
An extremely surreal flick! 😎

Then I watched another Ringo Starr movie called Caveman, which also had Shelley Long. Now that was hilarious! 🤣

Now watch Son of Dracula starring Harry Nilsson and Ringo Starr.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 25, 2023, 10:59:29 AMMight not be your cup of tea, hydra. But I felt like it had heart. Having low expectations probably did help though.
It might not be my cup of tea just because I've been exposed to so much of this stuff that it takes a lot to really impress me.  But if it's better than the 2000 movie, it'll be decent enough to warrant a watch.

Lol, I just now remember that I saw both the 2005 movie and the Book of Vile Darkness film and wow, did I have those memories repressed!  Like Remember Sammy Jankins level of repressed.  It must've been truly vile to warrant that sort of self-inflicted memory loss.

Unbeliever

Now I'm watching One Million Years BC, starring Rachel Welch. Not bad, but not the one I'm looking for. I remember a movie with cavemen in which the characters come across something they've never seen before: a camel. As they're checking it out one of them raises its tail and gets a face full of camel shit. I haven't found it yet, so I'll just have to keep looking. 🐫🐪
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Hydra009

Instead of more D&D, I want to see an authentically medieval fantasy movie.

Not Tolkien stuff, but actual historical medieval stuff, like gold-digging ants and magic talismans and a hellmouth and a cephalophore and kinda stocky, heavy-set dragons who breathe acid and have underground liars.  Possibly an amphibious dragon or one that rejuvenates by bathing in blood.

Hydra009

I rewatched the D&D Book of Vile Darkness movie.  4/10

The most direct-to-DVD movie I've ever seen in my life.  The plotline isn't too bad, and some of the actors are pretty good but some are horrible.  But it's really undone by poor costuming/setwork and poor CGI.  This is weird, because usually bad movies are the other way around, with good setwork and CGI, but terrible plot and acting.  So this is a bit of an anomaly.  This honestly feels like a LARPing session gone awry than a movie.  :/

This guy is the sole redeeming part of the film.  This actor steals every scene he's in.  I think he's supposed to be a Vermin Lord (spellcaster who takes on vermin-like qualities) but he seems to behave more like a Worm That Walks (spellcaster who only appears to be human but is actually an aberration and when threatened, disincorporates into a pile of vermin).

He's diabolical and corrupting and badass.  After seeing him in action, I want to roll up a character just like him.  My favorite scene was when he "helped" a grieving widow by returning the missing soldier's ring to her.  On touch, the ring gave her tormenting visions of the agonizing moments of her husband's death.  To add insult to injury, while she was occupied, he touched the orphan's beloved teddy bear, infesting it with centipedes and other vermin.  And he unleashed this psychological torment casually and for no reason at all other than a small amount of pleasure, acting like people are nothing more than amusing toys to him.  What a fun villain!