News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Well, I've just finished watching A Man Called Otto. I have to say, no movie has ever brought so many tears to my eyes. And I almost never cry when watching movies. On a scale of one to ten I'd give it an eleven! Tom Hanks was already one of my favorite actors, but now he's definitely number one.
👍
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

M

Watched The Phantom Of The Open...

A true story about an amatuer golfer who blagged his way into the British Open.

Hilarious.

the_antithesis

Nope

I don't know why I watched Nope. I have been meaning to check out Jordan Peele. I've only see a little of Kay & Peele, so it's interesting that a comedian has shifted into a horror director, but okay.

I don't know exactly what to think. I am reminded of Tremors, but Tremors is the superior movie. I don't think that's an insult. For one, the guy who wrote the script had been working on it for two decades. That's time to polish it to a high gloss. Second, Tremors has a very basic concept and the whole movie hinges on this: idiots who have to think their way out of a situation. Nope is a bit more complicated than that, which isn't bad, but feels like... less. It's not as strong.

Part of my problem is I read up on spoilers before I saw the movie, which may have actually been a detriment here. It's a slow burn and learning what the hell is going on is the hook to keep you engaged. Which probably speaks to how weak the story is without this. If it don't work for JJ Abrams, it don't work for Jordan Peele. Relying on a mystery to sustain your movie makes it weaker.

The performances are okay, I guess, but I'm not sure about the characters. OJ is a stoic cowboy or something which means he don't talk much of show as much emotion as he could. His sister Emerald is kind of loud and brash and somewhat obnoxious. There are a couple other characters, but really, who are they?

I suppose Jupe has a bit of character as he's so traumatized by the Gordy incident, that when talking to someone about it, he doesn't talk about the incident but the SNL sketch that lampooned it, which seems bad taste, even for SNL and Chris Katan. 

So there's a bunch of stuff going on and it doesn't all quite jell together. I mean, the creature  could have just killed all of them in the first place, but didn't and I don't know why other than there'd be no movie. Could have killed them any time, but then the movie would be too short.

So, I don't know what's going on here. We'll see if any of this stays with me of if I forget everything about it.

Gawdzilla Sama

If you watch it twice you'd be twice as confused.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cassia

The 1953 'War of the Worlds' they were pretty obsessed with coffee at the field command post. Almost like they needed something for the girl to do, LOL.

I do like this part:

Pastor Dr. Matthew Collins : If they're more advanced than us, they should be nearer the creator for that reason. No real attempt has been made to communicate with them, you know?
Pastor Dr. Matthew Collins : Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil.

Forrester : It's seen him!

Pastor Dr. Matthew Collins : Thou anointest my head with oil. My cup runneth over. And I will dwell in the house of the Lord, forever.

[Martians kill Pastor Dr. Matthew Collins]

Gawdzilla Sama

"Everybody knows when you wave the white flag you want to be friends."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

M

Watched Don't Worry Darling.

An absolute pile of crap.

Harry Styles can't act. I know that he's a good looking bloke and all that business, but for crying out loud.

Mike Cl

Saw Avatar 2 Sunday.  Scenery, 3D, special effects are the very best I've ever seen.  The story line not much (if any) above average.  Length--could easily be cut down.  I had a problem with the motivation many of the main characters.  Sully, after the return of the 'corporation' figures it is safer to just run this time. ???? He had the opposite message in the first movie.  So, they go from the jungle to the sea; as though the corp. can't find him anywhere on the planet. When the corp was kicked off the planet in the first movie, one human remained (and stayed human) with Sully and his people.  He is accepted and made part of that tribe/group.  The bad colonel who died, had had a mind and personality flash drive made of him prior to his death in the first movie; of course he is once again the main protagonist and wants to kill Sully.  At the end, while the colonel tries him damnedest to kill Sully and his family, the human is made to be a translator for the bad guy.  Sully and colonel fight to the end and the human aids Sully and helps get him to safety.  The colonel is dead at the bottom of a sunken ship--except the human also brings him to the surface and saves him--but tells nobody.  Ah, foil to get to movie 3.  Except what fucking reason does this human have to save the colonel (even tho they turn out to be father and son) after the colonel does his best to kill all that the humans holds dear--and all the death and destruction he has caused to the planet.  I guess there has to be a bridge of some sort to get to the last two movies (already in the can).  Or something.  I do recommend the movie, but for the special effects and scenery.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

It's almost like movies don't have  to be strictly logical.
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 14, 2023, 10:10:44 AMSaw Avatar 2 Sunday.  Scenery, 3D, special effects are the very best I've ever seen.  The story line not much (if any) above average.  Length--could easily be cut down.  I had a problem with the motivation many of the main characters.  Sully, after the return of the 'corporation' figures it is safer to just run this time. ???? He had the opposite message in the first movie.  So, they go from the jungle to the sea; as though the corp. can't find him anywhere on the planet. When the corp was kicked off the planet in the first movie, one human remained (and stayed human) with Sully and his people.  He is accepted and made part of that tribe/group.  The bad colonel who died, had had a mind and personality flash drive made of him prior to his death in the first movie; of course he is once again the main protagonist and wants to kill Sully.  At the end, while the colonel tries him damnedest to kill Sully and his family, the human is made to be a translator for the bad guy.  Sully and colonel fight to the end and the human aids Sully and helps get him to safety.  The colonel is dead at the bottom of a sunken ship--except the human also brings him to the surface and saves him--but tells nobody.  Ah, foil to get to movie 3.  Except what fucking reason does this human have to save the colonel (even tho they turn out to be father and son) after the colonel does his best to kill all that the humans holds dear--and all the death and destruction he has caused to the planet.  I guess there has to be a bridge of some sort to get to the last two movies (already in the can).  Or something.  I do recommend the movie, but for the special effects and scenery.   

Sully's motivation changes because he has kids to protect now. After they were taken hostage, it became clear that his family was a target, so he left to try to protect him. They would have been fine, if not for the helicopter leading the bad guys straight there. lol

The colonel will not be the villain of the third movie. I think they're setting up a redemption arc for him. It was confirmed that the villains of movie three will be other Na'Vi, to show that they're not all innocent.

As for why the kid saved the colonel, I don't know. Because he's not evil? Because he could see that his father really did care about him, although he tried to hide it? Technically speaking, even if the colonel died, he could have been brought back in another body anyway, but this one has been humbled not only by his defeat, but by his rescue.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

I think the kids took the high road with the pseudo colonel. This may be what makes  him switch sides. For fun, they could be going both ways with another colonel clone. Nothing to stop that. The Jar Head Clan believes in redundancy.
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 14, 2023, 03:08:10 PMI think the kids took the high road with the pseudo colonel. This may be what makes  him switch sides. For fun, they could be going both ways with another colonel clone. Nothing to stop that. The Jar Head Clan believes in redundancy.

Yeah, but it takes a while to grow an avatar. I think that's why Sully was able to grow a family in between movies.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 14, 2023, 01:59:42 PMSully's motivation changes because he has kids to protect now. After they were taken hostage, it became clear that his family was a target, so he left to try to protect him. They would have been fine, if not for the helicopter leading the bad guys straight there. lol

The colonel will not be the villain of the third movie. I think they're setting up a redemption arc for him. It was confirmed that the villains of movie three will be other Na'Vi, to show that they're not all innocent.

As for why the kid saved the colonel, I don't know. Because he's not evil? Because he could see that his father really did care about him, although he tried to hide it? Technically speaking, even if the colonel died, he could have been brought back in another body anyway, but this one has been humbled not only by his defeat, but by his rescue.
I should have watched the movie with you--you could have explained the hard parts to me. :)))))
BTW, I will watch 3 and 4.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 14, 2023, 03:18:56 PMYeah, but it takes a while to grow an avatar. I think that's why Sully was able to grow a family in between movies.
No issue taken with that. But the memories would be implanted in the "second wave" of returning humies*. Just pick the end point of the implants where you him to be when he's decanted. I suspect he was being recorded right along. Less time for the 3rd gen to hit the ground running. (There was a scifi story like that. Man kept waking up in strange places. Turned out he had clones all over the solar system and they were awakened as needed.)

*Rocket's pejorative.
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 14, 2023, 03:18:56 PMYeah, but it takes a while to grow an avatar. I think that's why Sully was able to grow a family in between movies.
Sully's avatar grew on the trip out from Earth, yes?
PZ Myers