Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 27, 2022, 12:51:37 PM

...What?
I'm afraid I'm getting too drunk to follow this thread. 😵�💫
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 27, 2022, 09:59:28 PMIf that does it for you, you should check out Alien Planet and The Future Is Wild.

I think I've seen The Future is Wild, back when it first aired. Alien Planet is difficult to Google for, though. Can you be more specific?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cassia

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (2022)
2.5/4

I like the vintage sets and costumes, sharp looking actors, computer graphics. Didn't get very much involved in the story. A common sentiment these days. The constant references to beloved HP characters get old when you know they won't show.

the_antithesis

When you said HP at first I thought you meant HP Lovecraft. I was like "Oh, is Yog-Sothoth in this one?" Then I thought it might be HP sauce, but I was just being silly.

Cassia

Quote from: the_antithesis on December 31, 2022, 01:55:21 PMWhen you said HP at first I thought you meant HP Lovecraft. I was like "Oh, is Yog-Sothoth in this one?" Then I thought it might be HP sauce, but I was just being silly.
The Cthulhu?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cassia on December 31, 2022, 10:53:13 AMFantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (2022)
2.5/4

I like the vintage sets and costumes, sharp looking actors, computer graphics. Didn't get very much involved in the story. A common sentiment these days. The constant references to beloved HP characters get old when you know they won't show.
It's to keep the events relevant to the larger Potterverse.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on December 31, 2022, 10:53:13 AMFantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore (2022)
2.5/4

I like the vintage sets and costumes, sharp looking actors
Imho, that's the only part they got right.

the_antithesis

Maybe injecting Lovecraft mythos is the only way to save the HP universe.

"Harry Potter and the Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young"

I'd watch that.

Hydra009

Quote from: the_antithesis on December 31, 2022, 03:24:44 PMMaybe injecting Lovecraft mythos is the only way to save the HP universe.

"Harry Potter and the Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young"

I'd watch that.
HP Lovecraft's Dream Cycle is essentially that.

IIRC, some SCP stories are basically HP blended with Cthulhu.

Hydra009

Solid all-around film.  Enjoyable and moving.  It's a helluva action movie, too.  Vicious at times.  And surprisingly similar to Wakanda Forever.  Expect LOTS of comparisons from critics.

The CGI is fantastic and a lot more seamless.  I worried that the faces or water physics might not be 100% right, but imho, they're spot on.

The story is a lot more straightforward with a lot less headscratchers.  More believable characterization and motives, too.  No more Unobtanium, thank Eywa.  No spoilers, but the Earthers have much more sensible reasons for an any-means-necessary approach to Pandora.

Again, no spoilers, and this is something that anyone who has picked up a history book ever will already know, but humans are still cold-hearted bastards with bastard filing.  And yes, they still say "get some" like total trogs.  But they're actually somewhat clever this time around.

The Na'vi people on the other hand, seem to have shifted quite a bit.  The first movie had them as wise and noble warriors spiritually in touch with nature.  At the beginning of the second movie, they're just fierce warriors bordering on Mujahideen.

*shows out of context footage of Na'vi brandishing space rifles and firing them sidewise or "gangsta" style*

(they remember that they're spiritual later on, so I guess they just kinda forgot that for a while so the movie could happen)

The dialogue continues to be most godawful thing about this film series.  I think that's why I never hear anyone quote it.  If I have to hear "bro" or "get some" one more time...

I'm not joking, the dialogue is like filler text that I write when I'm stuck with writer's block and can't figure out a scene.  Except this is a hundreds of millions of dollars budget with a small army working on it, and I'm just a dude banging on a keyboard.

*Na'vi kid picks up space rifle*
"Come on bro, like do the thing bro"
*Na'vi kid puts it on his butt and fires it with his tail*
*Gun discharges and causes a small stampede*
"Sick bro like omg bro, that was like so like...bro."

I wish I was joking about that.  This movie is going to get savaged so hard in parodies that I might have to start referring to my IRL brother as my "mother's other son" just to avoid using saying anything resembling "bro" cause I might cringe myself to death.

Finally, I just want to say that all the aquatic life is super gorgeous if a bit outlandish (you can tell they're alien because they have extra stuff - extra eyes, extra blowhole, extra flippers, etc)  There are no brakes on this imagination train - or possibly 8 sets of brakes, 19 chimneys, and 2 cabooses.

Hydra009

A couple parts I forgot to mention:

The human spaceships are absolutely gorgeous, so be sure to not blink during the 10 seconds they're on screen.

The humans use spider robots to build their buildings and they're so friggin' adorable that I want to buy one.

Gawdzilla Sama

I stopped stressing on movies about 60 years ago. (Yul Brenner building Aztec pyramid in Texas? Cool.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

the_antithesis

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 05, 2023, 09:48:21 AMI stopped stressing on movies about 60 years ago. (Yul Brenner building Aztec pyramid in Texas? Cool.)

Well, call me Jerry because I find the insinuation that I can't have fun and ask questions to be condescending.

(though I probably won't like the real answers to my questions)