Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Yeah, the longer cut is much better.

Obligatory: 

Gawdzilla Sama

Weirdly, I had just found the Avatar boxed set and noticed there was an extended cut in it. Box has been on the shelf for years.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

the_antithesis

You know, I never saw Avatar. I feel like I dodged a bullet.

Gawdzilla Sama

I don't like the "Friday" movies.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

the_antithesis

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: the_antithesis on December 24, 2022, 12:02:56 PMThere's like thirteen of those, right?
Only if you go to the right camp.
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Yep; I respect Avatar for what it is, but it's just not really my cup of tea.

An over-glorified tech demo for the masses, stretched into an hour-something long film. 5-10 minutes would have been fine, and told the entire story just as easily (if not better).
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Another nitpick that kinda wooshed by me at first but has me scratching my head is that Jake's change of allegiances could be seen coming a couple light years away.

This guy hops into the Avatar body, doesn't even wait for the physical before going trapezing off, gets lost in the woods, meets this girl...yadda yadda yadda, hair sex yadda yadda yadda, barely eats, literally doesn't do anything except sleep, play Navi, and talk about Navi.

And to be honest, I get it.  His life sucks and people treat him like dirt.  He's simultaneously Joe from Family Guy and Meg from Family Guy.

His choice is so completely predictable and without any conflict that I'm surprised there wasn't a twist or something.  Maybe it's just me, but I would've loved more of a conflict.  Like a brother who's totally loyal to Scarface or Taserface or whatever that guy calls himself.  Or a family.  Or a fortune waiting for him at the end of the mission.  Something, anything, to create some internal conflict.  FFS tertiary characters in Game of Thrones get more and better development than this!

Blackleaf

I find speculative evolution fascinating. Especially when it's of fictional alien species. Avatar delivers on that very well, with plants and animals that feel strange, but very believable. That fiber hive mind thing they have going on with that Eywa being is interesting. Being able to plug into an animal and share your thoughts, or into a plant and hear voices of nature communicating with itself.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

"EWA HEARD YOU!!!!" Rather like the times the fast movers appeared to deliver some TLC to our fraternal brothers in the black pajamas.
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 27, 2022, 12:34:56 PM"EWA HEARD YOU!!!!" Rather like the times the fast movers appeared to deliver some TLC to our fraternal brothers in the black pajamas.

...What?
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Phantoms with napalm to keep Charlie  warm.
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

I don't know what you're referring to, but it would have been nice if Eywa didn't wait until the 11th hour to get involved.

"Dang. Almost all the blue people are dead now. I should do something, I guess..."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 27, 2022, 12:15:44 PMI find speculative evolution fascinating. Especially when it's of fictional alien species.
If that does it for you, you should check out Alien Planet and The Future Is Wild.