News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

the_antithesis

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 23, 2022, 08:10:08 PMSo, I'm watching Die Hard 2 because I'm hooked at this point and I'm not even done with it yet and I have questions.

Most of your questions can be answered with the phrase "directed by Renny Harlan."

I'm glad I'm not the only one on Die Hard lately. Now, as someone who loves the first movie and enjoys the second, I will say that you can watch Die Hard 3 AKA Die Hard With a Vengeance, but you don't have to. I like Die Hard 2 because it is a pure sequel. It exists to give you more of the same. But, in spite of that, it manages to have a few nice twists and plays on the Die Hard formula. I recently added it to my collection because I remembered really liking it when it came out and for the most part, it held up.

Die Hard 3, however, I was not as happy with at the time. It has its charms, but it not only abandoned the Die Hard formula (watch the Renny Harlan Film Cliffhanger starring Sylvester Stallone if you want that) but started to eat itself as a franchise, the way all franchises do these days. There's one scene in particular that bugs me that tries to ape the scene where John McLaine and Hans Gruber meet face-to-face, but it's no where near as clever. It's actually very stupid.

The later day Die Hard movies you should treat as the late sequels they are. I think I watched one of them and, eh...

Personally, I was more interested in the movies that copied the Die Hard formula, like Cliffhanger and Under Siege, arguably Segal's best movie, but I didn't watch any of his other movies.

Hydra009

Quote from: the_antithesis on September 23, 2022, 11:56:30 PMMost of your questions can be answered with the phrase "directed by Renny Harlan."
https://i.imgur.com/5tCjged.mp4

That doesn't even sound like a real name, and I've known polish people.

the_antithesis

QuoteHis films include A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master, The Adventures of Ford Fairlane, Die Hard 2, Cliffhanger, The Long Kiss Goodnight, and Deep Blue Sea.

He seemed like a big deal in the 90's.

Hydra009

Ford Fairlane sounds made up.  And not just made up in the sense that all human language is an inherently arbitrary mapping of abstract concepts to mouth movements and corresponding air vibrations, a sort of shared fictional framework that subtlety influences our very thoughts themselves, pushing them into well-worn grooves of mainline respectability, diminishing the scope of human cognition into limited, easily-digestible mouth noises (in all your travels, have you ever seen a star's supernova?), I'm talking about made up in the sense that it sounds like a computer scanned a phonebook and then generated random names.

I thought there were only 3 Freddie movies, tops.

There's a Cliffhanger movie?  Let me guess how it ends, on a cliffhanger?  LOL

Never heard of The Long Kiss Goodnight.  Romance movie or childhood bedtime story?  Or some sort of Alabaman combination of the two?

I think Deep Blue Sea was a documentary I never saw.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 24, 2022, 12:54:18 AMFord Fairlane sounds made up.  And not just made up in the sense that all human language is an inherently arbitrary mapping of abstract concepts to mouth movements and corresponding air vibrations, a sort of shared fictional framework that subtlety influences our very thoughts themselves, pushing them into well-worn grooves of mainline respectability, diminishing the scope of human cognition into limited, easily-digestible mouth noises (in all your travels, have you ever seen a star's supernova?), I'm talking about made up in the sense that it sounds like a computer scanned a phonebook and then generated random names.

You wish.

Hydra009

I'm trying so hard to finish Die Hard 2 but I almost lost it when the bad guys threw grenades that I swear, took around 30 seconds to explode.  WTF.

And then there's that icicle scene...

And I got really discouraged when the bad guys (all military, btw) said their camp was being approached from three sides without specifying which sides.  It'd be like pilots saying to watch your supper time.  Dafuq.  Hell, they could say "southern quadrant, but they were on the move" and that'd be more believable.

I'm very close to just giving up.

Hydra009

Just finished it.  I think I'm stopping there.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

nuclear

I just finished watching that movie "Class of 1984" with my dad. At first, I expected it to be the typical high school movie, but it was much more than that: it had car explosions, gang fights, gore, etc. And I thought the high school I used to go to was bad.

I'm not going to spoil too much, just in case anyone here hasn't seen it yet.

It definitely had me on the edge of my seat, just waiting to see what would happen next.

Great movie! Would definitely recommend, especially since it's free on Tubi (that's how I watched it, btw).

But yeah, excellent movie.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: the_antithesis on September 23, 2022, 11:56:30 PMMost of your questions can be answered with the phrase "directed by Renny Harlan."

I'm glad I'm not the only one on Die Hard lately. Now, as someone who loves the first movie and enjoys the second, I will say that you can watch Die Hard 3 AKA Die Hard With a Vengeance, but you don't have to. I like Die Hard 2 because it is a pure sequel. It exists to give you more of the same. But, in spite of that, it manages to have a few nice twists and plays on the Die Hard formula. I recently added it to my collection because I remembered really liking it when it came out and for the most part, it held up.

Die Hard 3, however, I was not as happy with at the time. It has its charms, but it not only abandoned the Die Hard formula (watch the Renny Harlan Film Cliffhanger starring Sylvester Stallone if you want that) but started to eat itself as a franchise, the way all franchises do these days. There's one scene in particular that bugs me that tries to ape the scene where John McLaine and Hans Gruber meet face-to-face, but it's no where near as clever. It's actually very stupid.

The later day Die Hard movies you should treat as the late sequels they are. I think I watched one of them and, eh...

Personally, I was more interested in the movies that copied the Die Hard formula, like Cliffhanger and Under Siege, arguably Segal's best movie, but I didn't watch any of his other movies.

I liked die hard 4.0
But i will grant it is just a good action flick. One could have just made the character another cop instead of 'john McLain'and it would have lost none of it's strengths, nor does it harken back to the classic die hard films.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Unbeliever

I just re-watched Tribes (with Jan-Michael Vincent and Darin McGavin) for the first time in a few decades. It was just as good as I remembered it being. It's about a hippie type dude who gets drafted into the Marines, with McGavin as his drill instructor. If you haven't seen it, you might enjoy it.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 25, 2022, 01:02:23 PMAnybody watched "Romper Stomper"?
never heard of it. Is it any good? I'll Google it and check it out.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

the_antithesis

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 25, 2022, 03:36:31 AMI liked die hard 4.0
But i will grant it is just a good action flick. One could have just made the character another cop instead of 'john McLain'and it would have lost none of it's strengths, nor does it harken back to the classic die hard films.

I think for me why the Die Hard series ended after the second is that they didn't get Bonnie Bedelia back for any of the following movies. You can read the original as a metaphor for the McLaines, particularly John, dealing with their domestic problems. Kind of like Scott Pilgrim Vs the World where the protagonist views the problems in his life as video games or Japanese cartoons. Therefore, at the end of the movie, they had resolved those issues. This makes it jarring when those problems came back in Die Hard 3. That and John transferred to LA in 2 but back to New York for 3? Not buying it. Not even for a dollar.

This may be why Die Hard 2 isn't as good because there is no metaphor that I can see in it. It's all surface. All well and good, but ultimately unfulfilling aside from the Return of the Jedi effect where the movie is elevated not within itself but by it's relationship to a superior film. I guess I enjoy it more as a feature-length epilogue for the original. Were John and Holly able to keep their marriage together after the first film? Of course they did, you idiot. Don't be stupid. Solid as a rock. They find themselves in another terrorist situation and that's not even a question.

It makes Die Hard 3 a little bit like Exorcist 2. The original exorcist demonstrated that science was no help in these matters, so the first thing the sequel does is introduce a pseudoscientific device that actually is a big help, I guess.The McLaines worked things out. Oh wait, no they didn't.

So, the later movies don't quite do it for me. They have their charms, but actions movies from the post-CGI era kind of leave me cold as the action scene become more and more ridiculous. I did like the bit where the bad guy lets McLaine talk to his daughter and she says "There are four left, daddy." or whatever and the bad guy just looks at her.